Author Topic: Why is BUZZR repeating the same episodes -- again?  (Read 10099 times)

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
Why is BUZZR repeating the same episodes -- again?
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
I've been enjoying BUZZR since day one.

Well, I WAS ... now, every time I tune into Match Game, Family Feud or Card Sharks -- it's the same episodes over & over again. 

It seems they only got a small block of shows from a certain time period, and they're running only those.  Every month or so the cycle starts over again.

What's going on?  Can Match Game ever get out of 1978?  Can Family Feud ever get out of 1980?

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Why is BUZZR repeating the same episodes -- again?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »
I would think that a lease would consist of at least 65 episodes that GSN always would do, and we just got Sale (starting from the Syndie premiere), Beat The Clock (almost never on GSN), and Double Dare. I'm not sure about how many WML/TTT/IGAS they are cycling through, but I would think that since Fremantle owns the network, there's no reason why a certain number of shows can't be shown at a time. Still, there are so many episodes that survive from the past anyways, though at least showing some rarer shows is a reason to watch. I still expect better programming from BUZZR before it reaches its full potential like GSN did around 1999. The big question of course is if/when TPIR will make the lineup, and if scheduled on evenings/weekends, it wouldn't have to worry about competiting with the daytime version and of course there's plenty of episodes that GSN not only didn't air, but only in the WinTV format. The big problem is with thousands of cable channels (along with online entertainment/media), the niche keeps getting smaller and smaller. USA could draw as much as a Big Three could today back when it ran game shows. GSN could still draw a million or two in its golden age (1996-2003). But BUZZR is just a niche and likely only drawing a couple hundred thousand viewers at most, meaning that advertising rates are going to be low and even though their catalog doesn't cost much to air, isn't designed to be a big market. It would be cool to have a "find lost episodes" contest via old videotapes and the winners would not only get a prize, but have their discovered episodes air on BUZZR, even if not on their current schedule.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
Let's not forget that Buzzr is still in the process of growing. It just started a few months ago and needs time to grow and expand.

My assumption is that their strategy for right now is to attempt to get Buzzr in more markets than they're currently located in (Which they could use...they're not anywhere in Ohio yet), and then they'll pay more attention to their schedule (with the exception of these little gimmicks like the unsold pilots).

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »
I remember when GSN first started, they didn't do that..i remember watching a Super Password episode with Natalie Steele(she was the biggest winner on Password and that doesn't count the original version too!) id say I saw her episodes in 94 and 95(had a few tapes of her episodes..since I had a dish that's where I saw GSN when it started) besides my NBC station WYFF always had a newscast instead of SP so I was wondering "How in the heck did she win big time!" Besides Ken Jennings and maybe Thom McKee, Natalie was one of the most memorable contestants I had seen( and this was while watching reruns in 1994 and 1995 to boot!) I also remember the first GSN logo too

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:27 AM »
And sadly, BUZZR's Pick 'n Play as of last night (SOTC, BTC '79, DD Trebek) began repeating the same same episodes that aired all but seven weeks ago after just 14 episodes. I decided to catch the Frank Sinatra 100th anniversary celebration instead after discovering this. Is 65 episodes that hard to ask for shows that are three decades+ old (let alone 52 or even 26?) It seems to just be laziness on the programming department, though I'm not sure if they have a system where they must digitize the tapes before being ready to broadcast. With that said, I'm giving up on BUZZR until a new lease is announced.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »
Speaking of the programming department, is there any way we can get GSN to cut down on the Family Feud marathons every single night? It's getting monotonous!

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
Speaking of the programming department, is there any way we can get GSN to cut down on the Family Feud marathons every single night? It's getting monotonous!

It's likely they won't quite yet, sad to say. Harvey Feud is immensely popular, and I'm afraid cutting down the hours would affect the network's ratings. I personally wish they could cut down the hours as well, but it won't happen.

And that's what I don't get either - why do they have to have endless marathons of the same show all the time? Doesn't it get stale after a while?
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »
How many episodes of Harvey Feud have aired? A thousand? That should be enough to prevent repetition for a few months at least given the rate it's currently aired. I'd liken GSN's current treatment of Family Feud to a box of 30 chocolates where 29 of them are the same flavor. If you happen to like that flavor, good for you, but not if you're the kind that likes variety. I can also use that analogy to what everyone's been saying about BUZZR, too, except it seems to be going nowhere fast.

For the record, I don't have GSN and given what's on there, I don't miss it.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »
It seems to just be laziness on the programming department, though I'm not sure if they have a system where they must digitize the tapes before being ready to broadcast.

They do have to digitize the tapes and the cost of this process is why we're seeing so few episodes.  On a recent episode of "Stu's Show," Stu said an unnamed insider at Buzzr told him that the network has to see more of a profit before they can digitize more shows.  Buzzr isn't losing any money at the moment, but they're not making enough to expand their broadcasting playlist.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
They do have to digitize the tapes and the cost of this process is why we're seeing so few episodes.  On a recent episode of "Stu's Show," Stu said an unnamed insider at Buzzr told him that the network has to see more of a profit before they can digitize more shows.  Buzzr isn't losing any money at the moment, but they're not making enough to expand their broadcasting playlist.

WINNER! This is what I've been told by an inside source as well. Given the statement matches exactly what I was told, probably the same source. (Don't ask who.)
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
I also think to make more money, they flat out need better overall coverage and better cable/satellite coverage.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »
On a recent episode of "Stu's Show," Stu said an unnamed insider at Buzzr told him that the network has to see more of a profit before they can digitize more shows. Buzzr isn't losing any money at the moment, but they're not making enough to expand their broadcasting playlist.
I believe Adam Nedeff noted on his Facebook page that he had met with Buzzr executives, and that they are as much into the genre as we are. He also noted that there was "a reason" why the rotations are as small as they are, but would not divulge further per agreement with those executives, only noting that the people at Buzzr are also unhappy about the circumstances surrounding it.

...And yet, two things bother me about this:
-I had thought that all the shows were digitized, given their airtime on GSN, and particularly with the syndicated Sale of the Century.
-"We need more viewers and profit to get more content"? Fremantle is letting its own library gather dust until the network it owns and operates makes more of a profit to...deserve?...more content? :-? I suspect royalty fees may be involved somewhere along the line...
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »
-I had thought that all the shows were digitized, given their airtime on GSN, and particularly with the syndicated Sale of the Century.

It's possible GSN isn't willing to part with their own digitized copies.

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »
since I can't seem to find the new topic link..

I just found buzzr on our fios and it's my new favorite network. they even keep the product placement tags in tact and no squish screen credits.  finally freemantle didn't dismantle something and did it right.

but, wasn't classic price is right supposed to be on here?  that and lets make a deal are the only things missing. I HATE drew carrey price is right...want to be reminded of the good old days.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 07:31:57 PM »
since I can't seem to find the new topic link..

I just found buzzr on our fios and it's my new favorite network. they even keep the product placement tags in tact and no squish screen credits.  finally freemantle didn't dismantle something and did it right.

but, wasn't classic price is right supposed to be on here?  that and lets make a deal are the only things missing. I HATE drew carrey price is right...want to be reminded of the good old days.

Classic TPIR will not be on the network right now.  Let's Make A Deal is still on the schedule, but the normal nighttime schedule is being pre-empted for the 12 Days of Betty White Christmas marathon.  LMAD will return when this is over.