Author Topic: Banned From Chat  (Read 18132 times)

Offline Grade_A23

• Outside in Line
Banned From Chat
« on: October 30, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »
Torgo banned me from chat today but i have no idea why. I did nothing wrong. Can anybody fix this issue please?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Banned From Chat
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:43:30 PM »
I'm sure they'll get right on it.

Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
I was banned by Torgo as well, for saying something which apparently came off harsh and negative. I almost never try to say things like what I said which got me banned, but even so, I was kicked before I even had a chance to discuss or apologize. I didn't intend to be harsh towards Torgo, and I respect his position, but I feel being quickly banned for making just a simple mistake and without warning wasn't a very nice thing.

Now, I don't know if I'm permabanned now or what, but do moderators have the privilege of changing ban settings or unbanning users? Or is that only an admin's privilege?
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline Grade_A23

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 08:07:31 PM »
I was banned by Torgo as well, for saying something which apparently came off harsh and negative. I almost never try to say things like what I said which got me banned, but even so, I was kicked before I even had a chance to discuss or apologize. I didn't intend to be harsh towards Torgo, and I respect his position, but I feel being quickly banned for making just a simple mistake and without warning wasn't a very nice thing.

Now, I don't know if I'm permabanned now or what, but do moderators have the privilege of changing ban settings or unbanning users? Or is that only an admin's privilege?
Well i didn't say anything wrong at all and I was banned! i hope it isn't for long. I'm in the dark about mines!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
Okay, I've known Schfifty long enough to know he is not the type of member to cause trouble in the chat room. If we're going to start banning members on a whim like that in chat, then perhaps we need to reevaluate who exactly has powers in there. I don't participate in chat often enough to know what's been occurring in there lately, but on behalf of Schfifty, I'm quite positive that he would never do anything within reason to be banned from the room.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:22:44 PM by PayingTheRent »

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Grade_A23

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
I've sent a few messages to Torgo asking him why did he ban me and I haven't gotten any answer yet. I hope a mod answers me on this post or in a Message!

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
Okay, I've known Schfifty long enough to know he is not the type of member to cause trouble in the chat room. If we're going to start banning members on a whim like that in chat, then perhaps we need to reevaluate who exactly has powers in there. I don't participate in chat often enough to know what's been occurring in there lately, but on behalf of Schfifty, I'm quite positive that he would never do anything within reason to be banned from the room.
I totally concur. I don't know if I've been perma-banned myself.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »

14. In order to keep our bandwidth costs down, we allow one user account per person.  Users found with additional accounts run the risk of having all accounts disabled.
Not to mention that attacking me on my work accounts is definitely a no-no.

Okay, I've known Schfifty long enough to know he is not the type of member to cause trouble in the chat room.
3. Members are asked to not act as back seat moderators.
Recurring problem.

I cannot speak for PriceBusterXL's ban; that wasn't me.

This type of behavior has gone on for far too long, and now that the moderation staff actually has the gumption to do something about it, we suddenly feel the need to throw fits over every single banning?

19. Members who select to violate any of these regulations will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action. The moderators of these forums reserve the right to define “appropriate”.

We're done here.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 11:10:20 PM »
Actually, the full quote for Rule #3 is as follows:

3. Members are asked to not act as back seat moderators. If you notice a member is causing problems or doing something inappropriate on a thread, you are welcome to bring it to the attention a moderator.

Two things here: first, this rule doesn't specifically address the chat room. While it probably does apply to chat, it's specifically referencing forum threads. Using it as a guide to justify how you moderate the chat section seems sketchy to me. Secondly, was Schfifty bothering anyone else, or were you just personally annoyed? Was he given any warnings, not just from you, but from others, as well, or did you just get fed up and hit the ban button? You said this was a recurring problem, but I know I'm not alone in my high regard for Schfifty as a member, and I'm positive he would have stopped if it really was a problem. And quite frankly, I don't see this as enough of a problem to ban someone over unless it was as extreme as some of the cases we've seen here on the boards, and again, I've never observed such behavior from him. What goes on in chat is different, and I rarely participate there, but I still think you overreacted, and until someone else says differently, I will continue to hold that position.

19. Members who select to violate any of these regulations will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action. The moderators of these forums reserve the right to define “appropriate”.

Again, this is referencing the boards, but I assume it extends to chat, too. However, your mod powers only exist because you agreed to take over as recap guide. You have the power to regulate traffic in chat, and that's fine, but I don't consider what you deem as "appropriate" to be held in the same regard as that of a mod who was put in place because of their standing with the site and their trustworthiness to keep things around the site under control. If those mods (Steve Gavazzi, Prizes, CU, etc) find your reasoning for banning Schfifty or anyone else appropriate, then fair enough, but until then, I still see no clear basis for it.

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 11:46:39 PM »
Again, this is referencing the boards, but I assume it extends to chat, too. However, your mod powers only exist because you agreed to take over as recap guide. You have the power to regulate traffic in chat, and that's fine, but I don't consider what you deem as "appropriate" to be held in the same regard as that of a mod who was put in place because of their standing with the site and their trustworthiness to keep things around the site under control. If those mods (Steve Gavazzi, Prizes, CU, etc) find your reasoning for banning Schfifty or anyone else appropriate, then fair enough, but until then, I still see no clear basis for it.

The above quote is so SO true, but the bolded portion is something that I think needs to be addressed.

I actually think that part of the problem is that too many people who have moderator status in certain sections have moderator status in chat. As it stands now, you have (IIRC) the admin, site mods, forum game hosts (past and present), and recappers (past and present). I don't know what the exact number is, but I think it's well above what it needs to be. Just because you have jurisdiction over a section of the site shouldn't mean you automatically have control over chat too. It probably won't happen, but I say that if you're not admin or a "The Talk Is Right" mod, you shouldn't have mod status in chat. That way, you'll have better consistency and less people abusing their powers (yes Torgo, this means you).

And while I can't speak for all, I don't think Schfifty wasn't causing problems in chat today. I think he just chose the wrong day to come to someone's defence.

Offline Grade_A23

• Outside in Line
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »
Not to mention that attacking me on my work accounts is definitely a no-no.
Recurring problem.
First off I was attacking u at all! I just asked u a simple question! Second off u had no right to ban me in chat because First off I wasn't warned that I would be banned and second their wasnt any behavior coming from me that would justify a ban! So someone needs to me unban me from chat please.

Offline Grade_A23

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 12:09:37 AM »
Wasn't* on the last post

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 12:19:26 AM »

This is true, I even have the chat log as proof.

Although I haven't been a member for very long, Schfifty has always been a very kind person to me, he frequently answers my questions about various things on the show. He doesn't seem like the type of person who'd be sparking trouble. And as for the comments that got him banned, he was trying to be as polite and respectful as possible when posting them. He wasn't explicitly insulting anyone. I definitely do not think he should have been banned.

As for Grade_A's ban, he didn't say anything negative either - I'll just say that some of his posts raised some people's suspicions. I don't really think that was worthy of a ban either though.
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 12:20:40 AM »
Maybe this will help justify the situation from this morning:

Long story short...Rat Race showed up; OP says "RATTY!"; OP is banned from Chat with a statement something along the lines of, "Nobody calls Rat a silly nickname like that"; I say I thought it was a little uncalled for; Torgo asks if I have a problem with his moderating during the SCSD, and says "Because you can join [OP] if you do."; I say I don't have a problem with it; I get banned with the message "I DO".
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline Grade_A23

• Outside in Line
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »
Maybe this will help justify the situation from this morning:

Long story short...Rat Race showed up; OP says "RATTY!"; OP is banned from Chat with a statement something along the lines of, "Nobody calls Rat a silly nickname like that"; I say I thought it was a little uncalled for; Torgo asks if I have a problem with his moderating during the SCSD, and says "Because you can join [OP] if you do."; I say I don't have a problem with it; I get banned with the message "I DO".
WOW! Thank U Schfifty! That shouldn't had gotten me banned at all! Abuse of power!