Author Topic: Option to start new topics missing from certain sections  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Option to start new topics missing from certain sections
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:27:14 AM »
The only sections currently displaying the link to start a new topic, at least on my end, are Technical Support (this one), Host Your Own, and Price is Right Video Collection. The feature is missing from The Talk Is Right, Out In Left Field, and The Price WAS Right. Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just a glitch in the system?
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Option to start new topics missing from certain sections
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:19:19 AM »
I'm having the same issue as well. Maybe it's a symptom of the site's downtime from last Saturday? (By the way, I found it interesting that the site was also down on 12/19/2013, exactly two years before it was down on Saturday.)

The feature is missing from The Talk Is Right, Out In Left Field, and The Price WAS Right.

The feature is also disabled in Make Your Mark.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:22:17 AM by Schfifty »
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:05:49 AM »
This is probably side effect of Chelsea fixing the initial problem of regular and new users being able to start topics in the Recap Section. It's possible that disabling that board somehow affected others. Hopefully it shall be fixed shortly.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:47:03 AM »
I am able to create new topics in all sections apart from The Front Office and Make Your Mark.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
I've got everything but Front Office, as per usual. The reasoning is simple though, JJ's right, it's probably a permissions oversight or something. Kind of like the recaps issue to start the season, really.

Anyway, Schfifty is right with respect to the site outage as well, since that's the site renewal date. Marc purchases the domain for a one year block at a time, so it's going to happen every year. Next year a day earlier wouldn't shock me, because leap year.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Anyway, Schfifty is right with respect to the site outage as well, since that's the site renewal date. Marc purchases the domain for a one year block at a time, so it's going to happen every year. Next year a day earlier wouldn't shock me, because leap year.

Maybe we should all make a note in our "calendars" for around 12/15/16 and send him an email that day to remind him to renew before it expires? ;)

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »
So is anything going to be done to restore the ability to make new topics or should we assume that starting discussion is no longer allowed here?

The actual retail price is...

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »
Trying to change the permissions on this right now. Hopefully the problem is rectified sooner than later. I know the steps, just have to make sure I have the permissions to make it possible.

Edit: Annnd, check. As of 6:52 my time, it seemed regular (non-staff) members couldn't view TTiR or Front Office. This seems like it should be changed on everyone's end, but obviously I'm not everybody. How does it look on your end, with anyone reporting this problem? If this doesn't fix it, the permissions likely aren't there on my end.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:54:29 PM by Prizes »

Finally made it in life!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »
I can't post new topics in The Front Office, The Talk is Right, the Recap Section (including classic recaps), Out in Left Field and Make Your Mark.

I don't know if regular members can make new topics in CSS and FPG as there's no option for me to do that.

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 07:17:42 PM »
I don't know if regular members can make new topics in CSS and FPG as there's no option for me to do that.

Even if so, that's something a regular user doesn't need permissions for, this I'm okay with, since they won't be posting results/picks/standings/leaderboards. The others, obviously, not so much. No can fix with this set of power, unfortunately.

What I learned today is that apparently the traditional users on this site by encoding are staff, and traditional users aren't, and use custom rules, permissions, and views. As I cannot change the boards themselves, unless I changed my own power (and don't care to, in the interest of fairness), this is something Chelsea will still need to do.

Finally made it in life!

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
try it now

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »
try it now

Everything's working except Make Your Mark (I left out The Front Office because it looks like only the staff can start threads there).