Author Topic: Reviewing the Staff with Honesty: October/November 2015  (Read 39631 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Reviewing the Staff with Honesty: October/November 2015
« on: October 31, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
As the topic says. Any mod, admin, etc. is fair game. We want honest reviews, thoughts, and ways to improve. Public opinion not only helps us as staff and moderators, the site on the whole, but your views as members of the page. For purposes of simplicity, I'd like to keep this to active moderators only. This seems like a good time, all considered, given people are thankfully speaking their minds in the chat ban thread.

I'd also like to apologize for causing the big mess, with my hand in how Friday's chat went down. I owe you better as a moderator, someone trusted with keeping this site out of chaos. Hopefully you can understand my regret at this time, and we can work forward in this thread to create a more positive, open outlook for the site's future, in a number of ways.

Full moderators reviewable: SteveGavazzi, therealcu2010, Prizes.
Section moderators reviewable: Guint, Roadgeek_Adam, Torgo, BRB_The_Fireball.

One tiny rule I ask: Attack our policies, our approaches, all you want. I really want to know what to do, to get better. But don't attack us as people. I keep myself to that standard 99.9% of the time when I moderate. In a sense, you get to have my job today. Typically, I review you, today (or whenever) you can review me. Have fun. I want to see some greatly detailed responses. We'd like to learn more about how best to not only improve the site, but how it is run, and what your visions are for it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:52:37 PM by Prizes »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Reviewing the Staff with Honesty: October/November 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 02:57:08 PM »
Pretty much all of my thoughts can be summed up with what I just said in the other thread. If you want, and at my request, you can delete this passage from my earlier post and merge it into this one, as this is certainly the more appropriate place:

With regard to the current state of affairs regarding moderators here, I do think it's time the powers that be look into evaluating the 'who does what' and what powers should be handed out. While this doesn't necessarily relate to the present discussion, I still believe the primary mods (Jess, CU, Steve -- and to a lesser extent these days, Army and Alfonso) should be given the power to ban members, at least on a temporary basis until an admin is able to make the final decision.

On the admin side of things, it's no secret that Marc and John really aren't doing much more than keeping the lights on around here. The only true admin is Chelsea. I think it's time to consider adding another admin to help keep things in line, and if it were up to me, I'd offer the job to Gavazzi. His dedication to the site over the years is almost second to none, and I think he would be perfect for the role. That would give us two admins (in addition to Marc and John) overseeing the site, and I can't see that being a bad thing as time wears on.

Also, I mentioned that Army and Alfonso really aren't all that active anymore, so essentially, we only have three "global," or whatever you want to it, moderators. I'd like to see at least two more added to the list. I believe there are a host of excellent members to choose from, so making a selection shouldn't be too cumbersome. I will add that new mods probably shouldn't get the ability to ban right away, should that power ever come to fruition -- but for the other roles, I believe it's time we add a couple more people to the mix.

As far as the active moderators here go, I think you all are doing a fantastic job, quite honestly. The issues I have aren't so much with the mods in their respective positions but rather the needs of the forum as a whole.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »
I have been satisfied with the way this site is being run. My main concern is technical issues such as site lag, and I understand that these are sometimes unavoidable and cannot always be fixed quickly, but as long as they are resolved, and they always have been, it's all good. :-)
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »
My main concern is technical issues ... but as long as they are resolved, and they always have been, it's all good. :-)
And as long as someone pays the bill next month... ;-)
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »
I apologize for the bump, but I felt as if this was the best place for this.

The recap thread for today was posted shortly after Noon Eastern. It consists of a single post by Torgo, who quotes three rather out-of-line comments made towards him by a new user who had managed to make a topic in the First-Run section. Those are followed by this comment from our esteemed recapper:
Until you users can get your acts under control, you won't get a recap today.

The post was modified at least once shortly before 1:00 PM, with Torgo adding a message reading
(modified to remove some of the more offensive language - I was angry, sorry)
Below this is what of the show was pre-empted, the game timings, the game results, and a message asking Chelsea to look into an oversight in regard to new users.

...What, sir? Withholding the recap and locking the thread punishes the entirety of the Golden-Road userbase, simply because of the out-of-line actions of one user who appears to have been deliberately attempting to get a response from you...although I suspect inaway did not expect you to go this route. I do not believe punishing everyone for the acts of a single person is the proper way to do things, and it has rather clearly stifled discussion. (Say what you may about the discussions themselves...but locking the thread? To quote a certain talking horse: "No sir. I don't like it.")

I thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:56:18 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:20:58 PM »
I would have unlocked the thread by now, at least for discussion, but it seems that I no longer have moderator privileges for the recap board. I also see from the first post of this thread that Prizes doesn't consider me a full moderator, which greatly disappoints me because I am the longest tenured non-administrative moderator on this board. While I don't post here as much as I used I do still come here on a daily basis and monitor the boards.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:33:33 PM »
...What, sir? Withholding the recap and locking the thread punishes the entirety of the Golden-Road userbase, simply because of the out-of-line actions of one user who appears to have been deliberately attempting to get a response from you...although I suspect inaway did not expect you to go this route. I do not believe punishing everyone for the acts of a single person is the proper way to do things, and it has rather clearly stifled discussion. (Say what you may about the discussions themselves...but locking the thread? To quote a certain talking horse: "No sir. I don't like it.")
While Torgo wasn't clear in his post, he gave that reason as somewhat of a joke. In reality, I think he wanted to have the entire recap up and since IUFB 1 was not available he couldn't at the time until it either A) aired in the west or, more likely, B) was posted online. I didn't like the implication of his statement, but I knew that he wasn't really punishing the site.

Also, the editing bit refers to the quotes he included in his post from the user inaway. The asterisks there were not originally, just the expletives. He was going to leave it, but thought better of it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »
I realize real-life happens, but my mistake, I thought you were more or less done with the page, like PriceFanArmadillo. Always appreciate your awesome contributions when they happen. Must have been missing the times you've been online. Wish more members were like you.

My apologies, Alfonzo.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 10:41:44 PM »

I agree 100%. In my 12 years of being here on Golden-Road.net, I have never seen anything quite like this. Torgo essentially disallowed any discussion of a recap all because of the impatience of a new user when no one else has done anything wrong. Not only is it stooping to the level of said user, it doesn't encourage any interaction the higher-up and other members. Torgo also accused the entire forum of misbehaving when they really haven't done anything wrong.

While Torgo wasn't clear in his post, he gave that reason as somewhat of a joke.

"Until you users can get your acts under control" doesn't sound like a joke. It sounds more like a parent punishing a child.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 10:51:11 PM »
"Until you users can get your acts under control" doesn't sound like a joke. It sounds more like a parent punishing a child.
Like I said, it was somewhat of a joke. It wasn't really, but he didn't mean it. As I said, it wasn't good to imply that he wasn't posting because of that.

I missed this...
(Say what you may about the discussions themselves...but locking the thread? To quote a certain talking horse: "No sir. I don't like it.")
There is a lot of context seemingly missing here.

Torgo locked that thread because the user inaway had made numerous threads in the recap section containing one line insults of Torgo. That was in addition to him bombarding Torgo with the same style insulting PMs. With Torgo leaving the quotes of the posts in the thread and the user not being banned, I believe he figured that that poster would respond back in the recap thread and wanted to avoid that while he waited for the information on IUFB 1.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:54:41 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:54:29 PM »
I realize real-life happens, but my mistake, I thought you were more or less done with the page, like PriceFanArmadillo. Always appreciate your awesome contributions when they happen. Must have been missing the times you've been online. Wish more members were like you.

My apologies, Alfonzo.
  No worries Jessica. I do have lots of real-life stuff going on, but as a symbol of respect to Marc and John for originally making me a moderator I still do the job they appointed me to. BTW, you, CU and Chelsea are doing a wonderful job.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 11:08:33 PM »
  No worries Jessica. I do have lots of real-life stuff going on, but as a symbol of respect to Marc and John for originally making me a moderator I still do the job they appointed me to. BTW, you, CU and Chelsea are doing a wonderful job.

You've been added to the moderator list for the recap board, and I've tracked down the issue with the permission scheme for regular members that was allowing posts. All should be kosher now on that front.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
Everything's good. Thanks Chels!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
Alright, something to keep in mind, that inaway (this "new editor") is Shaun Schaffer. Schaffer is a known troll, who I dealt with as well in terms of his trolling. His behavior, which for religious reasons, I will not mention here.

As for Torgo's behavior, I missed what was going on, but I did on many many occasions today delete Schaffer's posts. Those posts are from PMs he sent and I have copies of several of his deleted posts.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »
esteemed recapper:

I thank you for your time.

Your passive aggressive nature does not suit you.

When you have a hostile user running rampant and creating new threads in a section in which most users new or otherwise should not, I felt the best course of action was to lock the thread while I waited for One Wrong Price and the rest of the episode to appear online. Yesterday's instance wasn't the first time I've received such response from members - and it certainly won't be the last. As far as I know, any moderator with powers in the recap thread (basically any of us apart from Adam, Alfonso (since rectified), Army and Fiery) can unlock a thread once locked, so I felt someone would handle that after a set period of time/the troll quelled his anger and had to clean his bedroom while mom was away or something.

However, between the show ending and the episode appearing online, I became busy. I simply cannot frequent Golden-Road.net 24/7, and recaps are not that high a priority of mine. (If you think they should be, you really need to re-evaluate your life.)

Work became crazy - having pseudo-celebrity Shane West play trivia at one of your events will do that - so I got home from work late (~12:20 A.M. EST) and began the recap. Word decided to glitch out after I finished PG4, so I went to bed and finished it this morning.

This is not a "criticism for the mods" thread. This is a "***** about Torgo" thread, and I don't like it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:15:18 AM by Torgo »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.