Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 12/21/15 (Christmas Week 2015, Day 1)  (Read 12803 times)

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
Re: TPIR Recap - 12/21/15 (Christmas Week 2015 - Day 1)
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 08:58:31 PM »
I don't get you people. After bemoaning Triple Play for its extended streak of losses, we finally reach the light at the end of the tunnel, and the first words out of some of your mouths include "well he got a WSD". Really? Must you always look on the negative side of every show? Get a life.

We post at the website of a game show that has 190 EPISODES a year. Some are amazing and all-time legendary. Some are merely very good. (And obviously many many shows are worse than these two categories, but bear with me for a second). If we are not free to discuss the difference between an all-time legendary show and a merely very good one on a site like this, what can we discuss? Yes, Triple Play was won today. That was absolutely historic and amazing. But there were 30 other minutes of show. And in 2 of those minutes, that same guy who won Triple Play came SUPER close to putting himself on the all time winner list only to tragically be $200 OVER instead of $200 under. If that isn't worth mentioning, I don't know what is, and it certainly isn't worth telling anyone to get a life over.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »
Really? Must you always look on the negative side of every show? Get a life.
I mean, no, people don't always have to look at the negative side, but a WSD for a Triple Play player and knowing that he got so close to cracking into the Top 10 of Daytime Winners is certainly noteworthy enough to be talked about. In my opinion, so is bringing up how close we were to a perfect show. 6/6's and 5/6's don't happen that often so I don't see the real problem here.

One more thing, I absolutely hate when people use the phrase "get a life" on this site or others. I'll admit that sometimes it's certainly called for, but most times it isn't. We're all commenting on episodes of a daytime game show, playing nothing games dealing with showcase bidding and lineup prediction. I think it'd be fair to say that all of us got a life. But we all have lives and jobs, and most of us have our priorities straight, and enjoy coming here to have fun and conversation with people who share the same interest whether we agree with them or not. It's just a statement in this context that doesn't really mean anything.

Is it your purpose to stifle discussion?  Because you could easily do that by posting the recap and then locking the thread... 
One other thing, could we stop bringing this up? Disagree with his decision to lock the thread, but he didn't do it to stifle discussion. And if we're going to rectify sniping attitudes around here, bringing up old stuff and not leaving it in the past is the perfect way not to do that. I agreed with your post otherwise.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 09:23:35 PM »
I think you need to re-read what I said immediately before what you quoted.  My statement had nothing to do with the incident from the other day (which I didn't even think about until you mentioned it again).  It had solely to do with what I stated previously. 

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 09:37:36 PM »
I seriously think you need to modify your tone.  If the purpose of these threads is to discuss the outcome of the episode, and people have already been told they can't regurgitate what is in the recap (a good thing!), what more would you have them discuss if they can't discuss possibilities that could have occurred? 

Is it your purpose to stifle discussion?  Because you could easily do that by posting the recap and then locking the thread... 

This post wins. What's the point of having a recap discussion when you tell others to stop repeating themselves up to the point of deleting posts? It was never a problem before until now. It's no wonder why people never post in the recap thread today.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »
This was an absolutely fantastic episode. The set is beautiful. I'd like it more if the house in back were a bit smaller. It looks so large, I guess they aren't planning to use Door 4 for any prizes this week (and here I was looking for contestant row Double Prices again. Aw). I understand they don't want to block their brand new home base wall and with the monitors they can add in nice screensavers to run in the background, but I wish they had added a little something to it. It's just part of me getting used to the new set since they usually had decorations on home base with the squarapalooza.

An absolutely wonderful Triple Play win. I don't know exactly when they stopped using the clangs and whoops in Triple Play, they weren't in use for the last win, but they definitely need to bring them back. Such an exciting moment for the show should be punctuated by the sounds that elicit even more excitement than just the dings.

Great job by Jesus there. We had a lot of fun with his name in the chat and as you can see, it certainly lent itself well to biblical parallels when it came to the game he played. It figures that it would take Jesus to finally win Triple Play again, and during his birthday week no less.

Well, last year, the Big 3 were played all in the same holiday week and went 2/3 with Triple Play being the only holdout. Now, it has been won. Will the others be played again this week and will they fair any better? Tune in next time! Same Price Channel. Same Price Time.

I think you need to re-read what I said immediately before what you quoted.  My statement had nothing to do with the incident from the other day (which I didn't even think about until you mentioned it again).  It had solely to do with what I stated previously. 
I read it, which is why I agreed with it. However, I thought the quoted portion was you purposefully bringing up the incident as a swipe at Torgo, and the added ellipses at the end which made me think of it more as a sarcastic swipe. My apologies.

This post wins. What's the point of having a recap discussion when you tell others to stop repeating themselves up to the point of deleting posts? It was never a problem before until now. It's no wonder why people never post in the recap thread today.
It was never a problem because, no offense to anyone, no one was doing anything. People had problems with it, but people who could do something about it didn't. What's the point of having a recap discussion when half the posts go over what the recap covered almost verbatim or with very little added to it? At some point it goes from being a discussion to taking dictation. The decline in posting in the recaps started long before Torgo started and could probably be traced back as far as Kitch. People's interest in not only the recaps but this site as a whole has been on decline and sometimes, it is just difficult to come up with something original to say everyday. That's the main reason, in my opinion, of why people don't post. Not Torgo.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »
Getting this bent out of shape over the phrase "get a life" - the playground battle rhetoric of a seven-year-old - makes me laugh.

Saying "it sucks he lost his showcase" is not a topic of discussion. It's a fact. That's the same exact thing as the oft-maligned "THE BAD NEWS" without a cheesy, easy-to-pick-apart headline painting a target. Do you want to discuss the show? Talk about how fair it was to have a car never on the show (and one we don't see very often at all) in Triple Play. Talk about how poorly yellow bid in the row. Talk about the amusing coincidences with Jesus/Christmas/three cars. Just saying "oh no, I wish so-and-so won more" is not discussion. Period.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »
Saying "it sucks he lost his showcase" is not a topic of discussion. It's a fact. That's the same exact thing as the oft-maligned "THE BAD NEWS" without a cheesy, easy-to-pick-apart headline painting a target. Do you want to discuss the show? Talk about how fair it was to have a car never on the show (and one we don't see very often at all) in Triple Play. Talk about how poorly yellow bid in the row. Talk about the amusing coincidences with Jesus/Christmas/three cars. Just saying "oh no, I wish so-and-so won more" is not discussion. Period.
Jesus was kinda close to DSW'ing. As far as I know, a Big 3 winner has never DSW'd in the showcase (I remember Toni got a double dollar and won her SC in addition to that infamous 3X playing, but otherwise...). If he had, he would have won about 115k, a ginormous amount on what was a pretty normal show with Triple Play. So no, I don't think lamenting the WSD is redundant discussion at all when such a rare set of circumstances almost came together.

While the Scion IA was technically a new car, it looked like your average old sedan, you'd expect about 16-18k on it, and it was. That wasn't that hard of a first car setup for TP, so there's not much to talk about here, despite the new car.

I tune out row bidding nowadays... there really are a ton of suicide bids. Technically Jesus got on stage thanks to bad bidding ($1 when not the last bidder). Whatever.

When a great show is almost all-time amazing (#6 in Buck, $200 less from Jesus), then god damn, some lamenting should be noted.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 11:39:54 PM »
I have to say that this was one helluva way to start off X-Mas Week...Although, it was a shame that Jesus wasn't a DSW after that Triple Play win.

There was nothing wrong with this episode, except that partial win on Buck, but I wasn't too surprised that the car would be under #6.

Plus, I would like to know where Valerie go to shop for luggage.  :P

Offline pricemodel1997

• In the Audience
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 12:09:07 AM »
Now that is a great start to Christmas week! 5/6 days are always fun, and Torgo nice waxing lyrical on Little Drummer Boy in the intro section of the recap, it's one of my favorite Christmas songs  :biggrin: .

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
Getting this bent out of shape over the phrase "get a life" - the playground battle rhetoric of a seven-year-old - makes me laugh.

Is it wrong that the first thing my mind conjured up upon reading this was you wearing a Trollface mask?

But we all have lives and jobs, and most of us have our priorities straight, and enjoy coming here to have fun and conversation with people who share the same interest whether we agree with them or not.
Precisely. Telling people to "get a life", simply for choosing to note the WSD, hurts. It implies that those users have nothing to do with their lives except sit at their computers and complain, and that is not an implication that should be thrown around near as lightly as it was.

The fact that people were upset about such a comment, Torgo, should not result in you laughing (although if I am not mistaken, you were the one who had the "OMG" "OH NOEZ" avatar and "You guys." byline, so I should not be too surprised if so) -- it should make you realize that words have meanings, and actions have consequences.

...I apologize for steering this discussion off-course, but I felt this needed to be said.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:46:19 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:54 AM »

Is it wrong that the first thing my mind conjured up upon reading this was you wearing a Trollface mask?
Precisely. Telling people to "get a life", simply for choosing to note the WSD, hurts. It implies that those users have nothing to do with their lives except sit at their computers and complain, and that is not an implication that should be thrown around near as lightly as it was.

The fact that people were upset about such a comment, Torgo, should not result in you laughing (although if I am not mistaken, you were the one who had the "OMG" "OH NOEZ" avatar and "You guys." byline, so I should not be too surprised if so) -- it should make you realize that words have meanings, and actions have consequences.

..I apologize for steering this discussion off-course, but I felt this needed to be said.

Noted. I am going to suggest we get back to the great show today and any other comments be directed to the thread in Tech Support about mods.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »
Noted. I am going to suggest we get back to the great show today
Understood.

On that note, I thought that the so-called "Ultimate Holiday Shopping Spree" was rather...meh. A gift card for IKEA, a gift card for a cosmetics chain I had never heard of prior to today (I had to look it up on Google just to find out what it was), and some cash? I suppose it does not matter since I was not playing for it, but it felt somewhat "downscale" to me.

On the other hand, Triple Play was won for the first time in eight years. :-)

and any other comments be directed to the thread in Tech Support about mods.
To be honest, sir, the "Reviewing the Staff" thread got somewhat somber due to BRB having been absent for uncertain reasons. I felt as if addressing this there would have disturbed that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:59:31 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Valerie bid "Four eighty-five" and was just misheard. Wouldn't have affected the outcome, but still.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:30:00 AM by Torgo »

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Valerie bid "Four eighty-five" and was just misheard. Wouldn't have affected the outcome, but still.

Closed captioning said "45." Drew said "45." The podium read "45." I went with it.

Also, I accidentally hit the MODIFY button instead of QUOTE. Sorry there.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »
Closed captioning said "45." Drew said "45." The podium read "45." I went with it.

I wasn't commenting on your recap at all, and given that her bid was clearly credited as $45, wouldn't have expected you to do anything different. I was just saying it sounded to me like the show screwed it up, like they've done before. No defense necessary.