Author Topic: What place do cars <$18,000 have in today's Price?  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
What place do cars <$18,000 have in today's Price?
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:53:38 AM »
So people who know me know I absolutely despise cars under $18,000 on the modern The Price is Right. The question I came up with last night and want to present to the crowd here, is what place do they have in today's show? I mean, there are many cars under the $18,000 threshold still offered on Price, specifically (all base or close to base models):

Nissan VersaChevrolet SparkMitsubishi Mirage DEKia Rio LXFord Fiesta SEChevrolet Sonic LSToyota YarisFiat 500 Pop Hatchback
$13,005$14,405$14,645$16,115$16,195$16,812$17,428$17,490

We're in an era in Price where there are not showcases under $20,000 anymore. Shouldn't the staff consider the same thing for cars? I know there are budgetary concerns, but there's also ways I argue we could save budget space to make these changes:

• Do we need trips to Sweden and other exotic places worth $11-14,000? I am sure there are people who would be happy with a trip to Amsterdam worth half that. I feel like the show makes these trips with extreme ARPs just to gloat the ARPs at times.
  • Can't we cut the trips to destinations outside of Seattle west of the Central Standard Time? A lot of the contestants on Price are from California (for obvious reasons). I know places like Sedona, Arizona or Jackson Hole, Wyoming can be beefed up to at least $5,000, but I'd rather offer the contestant a $5,000 trip to Seattle, Miami or even Boston. What's tantalizing about a trip to Jackson Hole?

So, I open the floodgates to you guys, because I'd like to see your opinions on my theories.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:57:19 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: What place do cars <$18,000 have in today's Price?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
whine whine nag nag I'm not getting what I want
Your entire argument hinders on what kind of prizes people actually want. Some people simply don't need a new car; should the show stop offering vehicles?

I also hate the notion that the quality of a car is directly proportional to its sticker price. By your logic, a Nissan Versa S loaded with options, a custom sound kit, spoiler, fancy paint and ice cream dispensers, if it tries really hard, can equal the automotive quality of a Hyundai Elantra. It's asinine.

Furthermore, I'm a little annoyed that you of all people want to see the majority of trips given to major metropolitan areas. All because a location isn't considered one of the more well-known vacation spots in the country doesn't make it any less desirable of a trip.

Finally, I think they add in the souped-up trips (and other prizes) to make the other pricing games worth as much. I don't think the show wants a contestant to seem less excited about a prize due to its mere sticker value. If a contestant gets called up on stage, and we've already seen two car pricing games today, it makes for bad television if the prize up for grabs is a low-end trip. Granted, they have these trips in fee games, but I personally don't see a problem with souping up prizes every so often. It's not an everyday occurrence.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:15:20 AM by Torgo »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Do we need trips to Sweden and other exotic places worth $11-14,000? ... I feel like the show makes these trips with extreme ARPs just to gloat the ARPs at times.

I don't know how much control Price has over the value of trips anymore. It would be like the third party wants it one way or nothing at all.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »
Well, many entry-level cars are not only economical in terms of maintenance and gas, but for singles/young couples with small children, they are good starter cars and today's subcompacts are superior in quality to the subcompacts in the past when they lacked air conditioning, power steering, power windows, anti-lock brakes, stability control, airbags, and AM/FM Stereo Radio. We still get nicer cars on occasion, but as a general rule, the subcompact and the compact by far have been the most common types of cars offered on all daytime versions of price, all the way back to the Cullen Era. Primetime, specials, and special weeks/shows are where we get our high-end cars. Plus, you can easily sell a new car and there are plenty of car buyers on a budget that would gladly pay $14,000 for a new car without any taxes by an independent seller.

With regards to trips, I like the variety the show offers, but I would create a fee game where there would be a special offer where the contestant chooses their destination if they win (a la Carmen Sandiego), with any place in North America financed by a common airline and hotel chain. Still, on IUFBs, you have weekend destinations, and even for a place like San Francisco or Lake Tahoe, there are more than enough people from Southern California who like those destinations due to their offerings.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
If somebody is in need of a car, they will take any new car they can win on the show or anywhere else in a heartbeat as long as they are willing to pay the taxes, title, and anything else. To me any car is an exciting prize, but if you don't need a new one or don't want it because you don't want the particular car or you don't want to pay the taxes and things, then just don't accept it if you win.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »
Do we need trips to Sweden and other exotic places worth $11-14,000? I am sure there are people who would be happy with a trip to Amsterdam worth half that.

Sure, and they would probably be happier because the taxes would be far less.

When you have to decide after the show whether it's worth paying the couple of thousands of dollars to take this amazing trip that you cannot transfer to anybody else, you are going to get a "no thanks" the more expensive it is.

In that case, your win is free for the show.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
I'd be happy to win a new car, even if it was less than $18,000.

As I don't fly, a trip would do nothing for me quite honestly.  And in spite of how things are in this day and age, even as a youth and a teen and a younger man, a trip to London, Paris, Rome or anywhere else outside of the United States was a prize I never coveted.

Off topic, I just saw your avatar and learned of Meadlowlark Lemon's passing yesterday.  Very sad news. He was 83.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
I like my Ford Fiesta.  I've seen the exact same one offered (in Line 'Em Up, I believe).  Obviously, I nailed that one.  But I digress.

They serve the same purpose as any other car. It's a prize.  It's a NEW CAR!  A $16,000 car is still arguably a "better" or "more exciting" prize than a $16,000 bedroom set to some people, maybe not to others.  It's about balancing the budget but still having an array of prizes that appeal to the masses.  There can't be a Lincoln behind door 2 every time.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
  • Do we need trips to Sweden and other exotic places worth $11-14,000? I am sure there are people who would be happy with a trip to Amsterdam worth half that. I feel like the show makes these trips with extreme ARPs just to gloat the ARPs at times.

Of all the examples of exotic places you can think of, you came up with Sweden?  As a person who loves to travel, there are very few places that I would reject a trip to.  Sweden is not one of them.  The rest of it about the show gloating about the price of the trips is just utter nonsense. 

• Can't we cut the trips to destinations outside of Seattle west of the Central Standard Time? A lot of the contestants on Price are from California (for obvious reasons). I know places like Sedona, Arizona or Jackson Hole, Wyoming can be beefed up to at least $5,000, but I'd rather offer the contestant a $5,000 trip to Seattle, Miami or even Boston. What's tantalizing about a trip to Jackson Hole?

To someone who likes to ski, Jackson Hole is a very appealing destination.  To you, it may not be.  People are different, and that's ok.  If the show wanted to offer me a trip to Portland, Oregon, or Vancouver, or Seattle, or San Diego, I wouldn't turn any of those down. 

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »
To me a car is a car. I'd much rather have a bare minimum $16,000 Ford Fiesta than a fully-loaded Explorer worth double that or a BMW worth triple that. I don't need a vehicle that's big or pricey.

As far as trips go, if it's a place I haven't been to before, I'd take it. But if it's a $20,000-trip to Italy that could easily be offered for half, I'd decline it.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »
As far as trips go, if it's a place I haven't been to before, I'd take it. But if it's a $20,000-trip to Italy that could easily be offered for half, I'd decline it.

Just curious - why?  For one thing, almost every destination that TPiR offers a trip to can be taken for less (and sometimes for far less) than what the show quotes you a price for.  But why decline what is potentially an awesome trip just because you think it costs too much ?  Isn't one of the perks of winning a trip on a game show the chance to have an experience you might not ordinarily be able to afford?

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
Maybe someone doesn't want to pay taxes of 30% or more on an expensive trip. I sure wouldn't want to pay those taxes.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
To me a car is a car.

Agreed...especially if it's free. The only car I'd ever turn down as a contestant on TPiR are manual-shift cars (don't know how to drive a stick, and unwilling to learn), and cars without air conditioning.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »
Maybe someone doesn't want to pay taxes of 30% or more on an expensive trip. I sure wouldn't want to pay those taxes.

Yeah, that's essentially my reasoning. If taxes are 30%, a $20,000 trip adds up to at least $6,000 in taxes and I'm not willing to pay that much out of pocket.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »
Who cares, and why must some imaginary line be drawn? Is a car valued at $18,001 that much better than a $17,900 car? A car is a car and while it's fun to make fun of them offering a lot of Nissan Versa's they're frankly not that bad of a vehicle.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz