Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 12/31/15 (Best of 2015 Special)  (Read 7870 times)

Offline plinkoboard

• In Contestant's Row
Re: TPIR Recap - 12/31/15 (Best of 2015 Special)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 03:18:26 AM »
Although Grand Game had a tricky setup it was pretty obvious that the tomato sauce and Capri Sun were both less than $7 thus guaranteeing a win of at least $1,000.  Don't know why Richard didn't go with the obvious and pick those first.  I had a feeling the claw crane and pencil sharpener in 5 Price Tags were both true.  I knew the tray was false from recaps of previous episodes but would've been tripped up by the sewing machine and guessed true. 

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 02:33:39 PM »
I don't watch very often, but was home to watch yesterday.  They did away with the Penny Ante sound effect on Vend-O-Price already?!?!?!  Grrrr

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
I don't watch very often, but was home to watch yesterday.  They did away with the Penny Ante sound effect on Vend-O-Price already?!?!?!  Grrrr

The last playing of Vend-O-Price also featured a different (and more appropriate in my opinion) sound effect than the Penny Ante crescendo. I think it helps give the game its own identity rather than aping from others' qualities.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »
I miss Penny Ante and its sound effects as much as any long-time fan, but it sure felt shoehorned-in to Vend-O-Price. It could be transferred over to the Rat Race start-up lever.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »
The last playing of Vend-O-Price also featured a different (and more appropriate in my opinion) sound effect than the Penny Ante crescendo. I think it helps give the game its own identity rather than aping from others' qualities.
I mean, the game did have an identity. It was only us who knew the significance of the sound effect. Plus, plenty of games take many qualities from other games. I think Double Prices has fathered like 50 illegitimate children.

My main problem with the use of it was that it was out of place on the show. I think some cues do work well and sound ageless, but the Penny Ante effect sounded so old. I don't know what would go into recreating the sound effect, but if they had at least remade it so that it was crisper, it would've been much better. I'm going to miss it, but I understand why they probably got rid of it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.