Author Topic: Looking for an episode my grandmother was on from the Cullen era  (Read 3347 times)

Offline thedeedub

• Outside in Line
I'm searching for an episode from the Bill Cullen era that my grandmother was on - but I'm a bit light on specific date details. What I hope someone here can help me with is narrowing down to the actual air date.

Here's what I know:

(1) Sometime between 1958 and 1965 (I know, I know)
(2) She won Ethan Allen furniture (specifically) - I think it was a furniture set from what I remember
(3) Her name was XXXXX XXXXXXXX - if someone can help me track down the episode, I'm happy to share her name, I'm just new on this forum and it's still the Internet after all :)

I've been in touch with FremantleMedia about getting a copy of this old episode but they can only search by date, not contestant name. That's where you awesome people who know everything about TPIR come in and could really help me out. I'm hoping to give this as a surprise birthday present to some older relatives... if I can find it.

Ok, how do I proceed? Thanks in advance!

Dave

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Looking for an episode my grandmother was on from the Cullen era
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:14:05 PM »
I'm just going to bump this thread so it gets noticed...it was originally posted overnight in the Cullen recap forum.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »
I'm searching for an episode from the Bill Cullen era that my grandmother was on - but I'm a bit light on specific date details. What I hope someone here can help me with is narrowing down to the actual air date.

Here's what I know:

(1) Sometime between 1958 and 1965 (I know, I know)
(2) She won Ethan Allen furniture (specifically) - I think it was a furniture set from what I remember
(3) Her name was XXXXX XXXXXXXX - if someone can help me track down the episode, I'm happy to share her name, I'm just new on this forum and it's still the Internet after all :)

I've been in touch with FremantleMedia about getting a copy of this old episode but they can only search by date, not contestant name. That's where you awesome people who know everything about TPIR come in and could really help me out. I'm hoping to give this as a surprise birthday present to some older relatives... if I can find it.

Ok, how do I proceed? Thanks in advance!

Dave

Was it a daytime or nighttime episode?  If it's a daytime episode, you may not have much luck at all.  But if it's a nighttime episode you might have better luck at tracking down the episode as more of those exist.

Offline thedeedub

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
Thanks, @SteveGavazzi! Much appreciated.

I know that it was a daytime episode (because my uncle stayed home from school to watch.) However, I have a suspicion that episodes from this era may no longer be available even for purchase from the Fremantle archives (save for the 30-40 or so that are posted to Youtube (etc) which I've already scanned through.) I'm waiting to hear back from them, but the person who handles these inquires only works very part time so it's mostly a once a week email exchange at best.

This comment on the Wiki page makes me think it may be gone:
"The daytime run is believed to be destroyed; the UCLA Film and Television Archive lists the first and third episodes from 1956 among its holdings.[6] A few NBC daytime episodes with commercials intact, originally broadcast in the late spring/early summer of 1957, have been around the 'collector's circuit.'"

My hope in posting here is that, if anyone would know how to find it, it's the folks dedicated to TPIR in all its forms found here!

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »
Hi thedeedub! Welcome to the board.

For the record, you don't need to highlight anyone with the @ command. That function doesn't work with this forum software to my knowledge.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:58:21 PM »
For the record, you don't need to highlight anyone with the @ command. That function doesn't work with this forum software to my knowledge.

What do you mean, @Torgo?

:lol:
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
I know that it was a daytime episode (because my uncle stayed home from school to watch.) However, I have a suspicion that episodes from this era may no longer be available even for purchase from the Fremantle archives (save for the 30-40 or so that are posted to Youtube (etc) which I've already scanned through.)
Most of the episodes available online (and, indeed, circulate among collectors) are from the NBC primetime series. Very few daytime episodes seem to exist, although the ones that do primarily seem to date from 1957 and 1965. I believe UCLA has a few shows from between those points, however.

This comment on the Wiki page makes me think it may be gone:
"The daytime run is believed to be destroyed; the UCLA Film and Television Archive lists the first and third episodes from 1956 among its holdings.[6] A few NBC daytime episodes with commercials intact, originally broadcast in the late spring/early summer of 1957, have been around the 'collector's circuit.'"
I would not trust Wikipedia entirely for things such as this. Fremantle very likely has many more episodes in its archives, which presumably includes cigar/ette-sponsored episodes (all of which GSN skipped over, to my knowledge).

...And that brings me back to this. Your grandmother's name (even just the last name and whether is was Miss or Mrs. at the time) is the most important factor here, without which we could not determine whether we can help track down her show.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:04:21 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline thedeedub

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
Sure thing, good points. My grandmother's name was Edith Winkler and she was on sometime in the rather large time range from 1958-1965. I'm trying to get a more specific date.