Author Topic: Katie Couric signs off on today for the final time  (Read 4093 times)

• Walking the Golden Road
Katie Couric signs off on today for the final time
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:52:48 PM »
www.today.msnbc.com for the link. I caught about the last 45 minutes of the show on air and look forward to seeing her on the CBS news.

Incidentally, while we are at it, it is rumored that Diane Sawyer is possibly leaving GMA due to the fact she wasn't tapped for the WNT gig.

This past 2 years or so(since Brokaw started the whole thing! lol) of shakeups in the am and evening news is really something. Your thoughts?

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Katie Couric signs off on today for the final time
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:06:57 PM »
I think that Charlie Gibson has the journalitic credentials and presence to anchor ABC's World News Tonight and will do a good job there. While I try to keep an open mind and wait to pass judgment until Katie Couric actually does the job, I believe that she was a poor choice for The CBS Evening News. Douglas Edwards, Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather, and now Katie Couric? I feel she has no business sitting in that esteemed anchor chair, but hope she proves me wrong.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Katie Couric signs off on today for the final time
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 03:44:14 AM »
I've not been particularly impressed by Charles Gibson's debut.  He seems to be going back to the unimaginative intro-package-intro-package-intro-package format that bored us all to tears when Dan Rather did it.  Even Peter Jennings wasn't that predictable and actually tried to talk to the correspondents on a regular basis (despite the fact that critics seem to think Bob Schieffer invented that style).  I'm amazed that a guy who's so loose on GMA can be so stiff at night.