Author Topic: What will TPiR do when Bob Barker dies?  (Read 9027 times)

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
Re: What will TPiR do when Bob Barker dies?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »
Would've thought the most likely thing would be to simply replay a Drew episode that Bob has been on, the most obvious one being the April Fools one seeing as it is very recent and has Bob hosting a segment. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 08:23:21 PM »
I was thinking that too-- if they were to play clips, they would likely be from the Drew episodes where Bob made guest appearances. The show could also choose to put classic Bob clips on their website or CBS.com also, rather than including them within the episode where he is celebrated/remembered.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
1. Have an hour-long Barker episode on hand which shows Bob at his best.
Do you have any particular episode in mind that would be good for that purpose?

Not off the top of my head -- among the hurdles that I envision would be searching for a good episode and then editing it to fit within whatever time length the show is currently at.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline david1964

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 03:04:56 PM »
Bob Barker alienated most everybody that he worked with during the last ten years of his tenure, starting with the model's lawsuits, and lawsuits involving the behind the scenes staff.  But  in a perfect world, I would haveloved for the original Barker's Beauties, Janice, Dian, & Holly, maybe going back further and involve Anitra all to be in one taped segment together talking about their time with Bob.  That would be something to see. Also, Roger, Fingers, and others could do the same in taped segments.  But none of that will happen now, andas a long time fan of the show going back to 1977 when I started watching when I was just 13,  I feel kind of sad, kind of cheated that won't be happening.  There is just too much animosity involving a lot of people that a proper tribute is just not possible. 

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
Drew alone on the set with no audience introducing classic clips, maybe with some historical photos of Bob on some of the trip screens in the foreground. Trying to actually put together a regular show that is supposed to be about fun and games would not be in the best of taste.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 07:08:04 PM »
You have Rich Fields walk out on from behind curtains saying "This is the very stage where Bob Barker began his television career...clips of Truth or Consequences play...as host of Truth or Consequences..but it was here...cut to Rich Fields walking out the dark stage from Door Two with a single follow light....as two video monitors with black borders around them come down on either side of Rich...it was here that for Thirty-Five years that Bob Entertained Millions across America and Canada as the Host of The Price Is Right...Tonight....we pay tribute to Bob Barker with this special episode of The Price Is Right"

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
I think it is most impossible to do a full-on "tribute" episode without it coming off as slightly distasteful as some of you have mentioned. I'd rather the show not do an entire clip show and I think interspersing clips with games in an Anniversary Show format with the intent of honoring someone who's died seems difficult to balance in terms of tone.

I think what John Daly said at the start of the episodes following the deaths of Fred Allen and Dorothy Kilgallen fit most here. The show should do an episode of The Price is Right, just as Bob would've done it. Perhaps start with Drew saying that there was probably a time during Bob's long career in television and on The Price is Right where he, nor the crew of the show, didn't feel up to the task (the period following the deaths of Dorothy Jo, Johnny Olson, Frank Wanye, and Rod Roddy come to mind), but they still did it because of their professionalism, and that was what they were going to do here. Perhaps placing clips at the SCSD points and having a showcase being the extent of their honor for him.

If they were to choose an episode of Barker's to air, you probably can't go wrong with the Season 35 premiere, one of the best episodes in the history of the show. Replaying AFD '15 or Bob's 90th also makes the most sense. That's the simplest thing to do.

I think there's been a bit too much overthought into what the show would do for Bob. Make no mistake though, they would do something for him. They've been embracing history these past few seasons. Even including a card at the end of the show mentioning the death of Bob Stewart. So they'll definitely do something for Bob.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 11:22:52 PM »
Even including a card at the end of the show mentioning the death of Bob Stewart.

When did they do that? That's news to me.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 11:57:25 AM »
You have Rich Fields
Given that Rich was fired from the show, this is highly unlikely.

Even including a card at the end of the show mentioning the death of Bob Stewart.
When did they do that? That's news to me.
Per the FAQ Timeline, that was done on the May 7, 2012 show, #5961K (he passed away three days earlier).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:01:47 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:30 PM »
Perhaps during the summer reruns, run nothing but classic episodes from the show's first 35 years, starting with the debut episode on 9/4/72 and finishing with the final week of shows that Barker did, with his three appearances on Carey's show as a bonus. Drew, George, Mike and the models can introduce each episode with a brief note, and they can also put in their own personal feelings of what Bob meant to the show. Considering that Rachel and Gwendolyn are the only two models remaining from the Barker era who are still on the show, I don't see why not. Then again, I'm still waiting for the day when BUZZR finally airs those shows, as that will not occur as long as he's still alive, with the fur/model bans and whatnot.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
Perhaps during the summer reruns, run nothing but classic episodes from the show's first 35 years, starting with the debut episode on 9/4/72
The problem, sadly, is that the debut episode is itself banned, having come out of the starting gate with a fur coat. :-(

Then again, I'm still waiting for the day when BUZZR finally airs those shows, as that will not occur as long as he's still alive, with the fur/model bans and whatnot.
Per an interview one of the Buzzr executives gave recently, they would love to show Price, but the issue is that "there are a lot of other parties interested in the show".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:13:42 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
Do you have any particular episode in mind that would be good for that purpose?

Not off the top of my head -- among the hurdles that I envision would be searching for a good episode and then editing it to fit within whatever time length the show is currently at.

Although they could probably show it as is, with less commercials for that one day. 
After all, the cost of doing so would be lower than a normal show (with nothing actually being given away since it's not a new show) so they could get by with less revenue.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »
Per an interview one of the Buzzr executives gave recently, they would love to show Price, but the issue is that "there are a lot of other parties interested in the show".
That's interesting. So is there a battle between networks for the rights to air classic episodes, and that's the official hang up now?

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 10:01:54 PM »
On topic: I think that if a 30 second memorial was good enough for many of the names that were important to the show over the years then it should be good enough for Bob.

The problem, sadly, is that the debut episode is itself banned, having come out of the starting gate with a fur coat. :-(

Why would it be banned anymore when the ban-er has passed away?

That's interesting. So is there a battle between networks for the rights to air classic episodes, and that's the official hang up now?

Here's the full quote from Mark Deetjen, Vice President of programming and operations for Buzzr:

"We would love to have all the original episodes of The Price Is Right. I mean, we get a lot of requests from that all the time. There’s a lot of people that are interested in The Price Is Right and it’s a little bit more complicated but we’re in constant communication with them and we’re really working as hard as we can to get Price Is Right. So, hopefully we’ll be able to make some announcements but right now, we’re just working to try to get it. While it is part of the Goodson-Todman library, there are also a number of parties with interest in the show. We’re working out all of those details and we are most certainly endeavoring to get that show on our channel. As the head of programming, it would be a massive coup for me and I also know that it would satisfy you, the viewers, in a big way. I would love to do a primetime lineup of The Price Is Right followed by Let’s Make a Deal, probably the two most iconic game shows from my youth that I remember so vividly."

I read that as a hangup not by other networks but by other people who are involved with the show.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »

"Interested parties" could just mean people who have a say in the matter, not necessarily networks that actually want to air the reruns.  We know that both CBS and Barker have certain veto rights about the reruns that have complicated things in the past.

I know this is a terrible, terrible thing for me to say, but so much of the show's history has been held hostage by Bob for so long, I kind of wish they would mark his passing with an episode of everything he forced to be cut.  Like, every segment shows Holly in a fur coat introducing a foreign car or something.  To paraphrase Louis C.K., of course they shouldn't do that... but maybe...?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:12:29 PM by Axl »