Author Topic: What will TPiR do when Bob Barker dies?  (Read 9016 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
What will TPiR do when Bob Barker dies?
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
...and, yes, I know this is a sensitive topic, but it will happen sooner rather than later and I will try to treat it with the utmost respect...

But when Bob passes away, how will the show handle it on the air?

I'm sure they will make note of it, of course, but I really hope it's not just a 10-second tag like they did for Rod Roddy...doesn't seem right for someone who was inseparably linked to the show for so long. OTOH, making it the focus of an entire episode would just cast a depressing shadow over the show...I'm not sure that's the way to go either.  It seems surprisingly difficult to come up with a suitable on-air tribute.

adjusted thread title
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:44:14 PM by Torgo »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What will TPiR do when...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »
My thought is that they would have Drew say something in Bob's memory either at the beginning of the hour before the show begins or after the Showcase winner is revealed in a taped segment. I could see having people who work on the show presently who were there during Bob's tenure and in the past if they get people like Scott, Fingers, and even Rich and Roger if they chose to who worked with him expressing their thoughts about him and working with him in segments before they go to break. Maybe show things people write on their website or social media pages and show them on the bottom of the screen. Maybe they'd also have the lineup be games he either created, had a hand in, or were his favorites, and call Bargain Game Barker's Bargain Bar again at least for the show taped in his memory.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What will TPiR do when...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »
I remember reading that Steve Harvey had a moment of silence on Feud after Richard Dawson died. I wonder if The Price is Right will do the same with Bob Barker.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: What will TPiR do when Bob Barker dies?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »
A moment of silence would be a nice tribute. I question whether they'd have time to fit clips and tributes from everyone into the show, but perhaps a prime time tribute show would be better for that.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:09:01 PM »
It's eerie to think about but it's no secret that Bob is up there in years and while he could just as easily live to be 100 years old or more, there's also the possibility he could have a mere few days left with us.  There's no way to know when it's someone's time to go so it's best to cherish those we have while they're here and not dwell on the thought one day they'll be gone.  That being said, when the inevitable does happen, it will be a sad day in history for sure.  Ultimately it would depend on how the network wants to handle things and/or what the production staff would deem fit.  I foresee one of four options happening.  A.) A loosely themed, regularly scheduled daytime episode with a short tribute and maybe a few brief clips thrown in time permitting.  B.) If they deem it important enough and have a space on the schedule, they might do some kind of prime time special like the 50 Years show or something to that effect.  C.) A simple moment of silence.  D.)  Both A and B  Here's hoping Bob's got plenty of time left with us and is able to live out that time to the fullest potential.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
Weird discussion. Probably the strangest I've ever participated in, but okay.

If he goes on a weekday, then the next airing of Price after his death is announced could be preempted, assuming there's enough time beforehand to make such a decision. In its place could be a CBS news report on his death featuring various clips and interviews with people who were close to him. That would be far less awkward than tacking a short clip onto the next day's episode and then proceeding as normal.

CBS will probably want to do some sort of tribute in primetime. Could they order a special episode of Price? Perhaps. Probably not. Some sort of program honoring Bob's memory would seem more appropriate for the occasion.

All that said, he may be old, but hopefully it will be a long, long time before we find out what ultimately happens. There's nothing wrong with speculating on something like this that's inevitably going to happen, but it does leave a rather sour taste in my mouth.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »
I believe that a tribute to him will be the best thing, either in daytime or primetime. Although the latter would most likely be a last-second idea, and it's been eight years since the last MDS aired; furthermore, there really is no need for a special since CBS continues to have a very strong primetime lineup, even with the ending of countless shows over the years (Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Becker, Two and a Half Men, CSI: NY, CSI: Miami, Dexter, and soon, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Mike & Molly). Daytime would be a good route, with all the lineups being games that he created and/or loved best. And renaming Bargain Game to Barker's Bargain Bar would certainly be a terrific sendoff.

I remember reading that Steve Harvey had a moment of silence on Feud after Richard Dawson died. I wonder if The Price is Right will do the same with Bob Barker.
I believe Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek did this for Merv Griffin (who created their respective game shows, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!) when he passed away, did they not?

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »
Daytime tribute, for sure.

* "...you are the first four contestants as we pay tribute to Bob Barker on The Price is Right!"
* Vertical "collages" between the doors & a "slide show" on Door #4 (maybe different pics of Bob on the turntable hexagons for each segment)
* Clips going into & out of some commercials (Pauline, Yolanda)
* Replace the Bargain Game with the big monitor with the BBB logo on it
* Play Hole in One, Any Number, Punch A Bunch
* Play a game (2 would round out the 6PGs) Bob created & state that Bob created it
* Pet adoption segment
* Bob-themed showcase(s) (Here's $1 for episode Bob hosted..., AFD'15 Jeep, etc)

If they could, air it a couple of days (or maybe a week-ish) after Bob's passing so they can promote it big time. (Why not go for a rating bump) It doesn't have to be maudlin, either...it can easily be a celebration of Bob's life & contribution to TV.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 05:22:25 PM »
If they could, air it a couple of days (or maybe a week-ish) after Bob's passing so they can promote it big time. (Why not go for a rating bump) It doesn't have to be maudlin, either...it can easily be a celebration of Bob's life & contribution to TV.

Beyond the logistical nightmare involved, I can't believe that CBS would air something like that when the man's body is barely in the ground.  The truth of the matter is, I'm having a hard time picturing how a full-on game show tribute to someone who's dead could be done tastefully at all.

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:53:35 PM »
The best thing seems to be just have Drew, Rachel, Manuela, Amber, Gwen, & George on set with the audience on stools showing clips & sharing memories.  They could even bring in guests & spotlight his entire career even outside Price... No games that day no winners just a joy filled tribute.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 05:53:58 PM »
This is complete speculation, but here's what I would want to do:

1. Have an hour-long Barker episode on hand which shows Bob at his best.

2. Preempt the day's scheduled episode and air the Bob episode instead.

3. Don't do anything in-studio, because whatever episode that's next to tape will air weeks after the fact, and it's going to look awkward.

I recognize that there are behind-the-scenes hurdles to be cleared for this plan to work. But I agree that a new "Salute to Bob Barker" episode, no matter how quickly they're able to put it together, would come across as tacky.

Of course, since we're discussing what the show will do... Again, this is speculation, but I'd put my chips on "Have Drew say a few words at the beginning of the next episode to tape, then put that episode on the air as quickly as possible, preempting the day's scheduled episode." Maybe with a side bet on "Drew tapes a 30-second tribute alone and they graft it onto the beginning of the next scheduled episode." I don't think they will or should make it an all-episode affair.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »
1. Have an hour-long Barker episode on hand which shows Bob at his best.
Do you have any particular episode in mind that would be good for that purpose?

"Drew tapes a 30-second tribute alone and they graft it onto the beginning of the next scheduled episode."
In other words, basically like what Bob himself did when Frank Wayne and Mark Goodson passed (well, those were grafted onto the credits, but same idea).

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
Remember that when Art Fleming died, Jeopardy!/Alex/Sony would pay tribute to him. But I'm sure at least we'll get a brief tribute on-air. TPIR didn't do anything when Bill Cullen died, however by the time of his death his version was seen as a relic of a bygone era that had become disconnected with the current version. However, given how the show still mentions "Bob Barker Studio" at the start of every episode, you can't deny something, especially since the show itself already pays tribute to him.

Now if this happens during the summer or a week with re-runs, air some classic episodes with Bob to pay tribute along with a prime time special that is less about the show but more about Bob. I just hope this moment is later rather than sooner.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline tpir2002

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »
It's a very touchy subject as we all have very ideas about we think Bob should be tributed.
My take on it is to go with regular programming as usual and maybe at the beginning or end of the show do a R.I.P. Bob Barker we will never forget you. Maybe a little later down the line CBS can do a special 2 hour tribute to Bob. The whole audience would consist of former Contestants from the Barker era and current and past models and announcers. Sharing memories and greatest moments from the 1st 35 years. The 2nd part of the show would be playing the game as normal or playing it like a Million Dollar spectacular to end on a positive note.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 10:22:18 AM »
Honestly, while I would love to see an hour of clips celebrating Bob's greatest moments, or what was done on the Season 20 premiere week or the 30th Anniversary Special-highlighting special moments when the show goes to commercial, I think we'll likely get a tribute much like Rod's, 30 seconds at the beginning of the show that shows Bob at his best while Drew celebrates what Bob meant to the show and that he'll be missed.

As one of our users once said, "Game shows are supposed to be fun, having an hour of mourning would take away from that occasion." On that note, we would celebrate Bob's life and what he did, rather than mourn that he's no longer with us.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:28:20 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."