Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 03/25/2016 (College Rivals/March Madness Special)  (Read 31086 times)

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPIR Recap - 03/25/2016 (College Rivals/March Madness Special)
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 01:56:27 AM »
The rooting against somebody on stage was not properly thought out. They can give instructions all they want about being friendly, and I'm glad the audience seemed to follow, but there's no doubt I would be shouting out wrong answers from my seat if it meant me winning $1,000.

Finally, I hope they explained to people that in order to participate they were giving up their eligibility for the next 10 years and might only get a single chance to bid if their rival won.

1. I'm pretty sure if the on air contestant knew you'd get $1,000 if they lost, they would just ignore your advice anyway.

2. Do we know this is true? Maybe they changed the rules for this particular episode and we just aren't aware of it?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 01:58:09 AM »
College kids come to see The Price is Right because it's fun, and that's what college kids do. None, if any, are coming in with the intent to take the show for $50K. They get to go to LA with their friends and be on TV- if they get called down or anything more, that's gravy. That being said, you're providing extra face time to five extra people who just want to come on down, and that's enough for them because not everyone gets to do that. You're special because you're one of the few who were selected in a sea of 300.

What does any of that have to do with it being bad television?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 06:21:36 AM »
Probably nothing since it was pretty good television.  :-)  It was lively, had the audience engaged and felt like a party.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »
Probably nothing since it was pretty good television.  :-)  It was lively, had the audience engaged and felt like a party.

Such is your opinion, despite how frequently you like to tout it as fact.

I'm curious, is there any change from the last 10 years you don't support unconditionally?

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »
It's all just opinion, really, positive or negative. It will come down to CBS official ratings/profitability in the end.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 10:31:11 PM »
Your point is well taken.  However, I've seen more than a few one-ups in Contestant's Row that were more acrimonious than any of the "anti-cheering" that went on during this episode.
Which really lends well to my point in that the doesn't really need to add anything more with some of it already built in.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Cheeze_E_Breath

• Outside in Line
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2016, 11:14:32 AM »
I know this topic hasn't had a post in more than 30 days, but I'm seeing the rerun of it right now and I feel the need to express how I feel about this rivals theme.

I really do not like this theme at all. Contestants going back to their seat if their college rival wins the bid? What is this nonsense? It's incredibly stupid, it's unfair to the contestant who didn't win the bid, and it just goes to show that Mike Richards has no idea what he's doing or how to run a show. He is ruining The Price Is Right. The worst part? Apparently there will be more episodes like this in season 45. Themes like this are a bad idea and stupid and Mike Richards should feel bad.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2016, 11:53:47 AM »
I know this topic hasn't had a post in more than 30 days

[...]

it just goes to show that Mike Richards has no idea what he's doing or how to run a show. He is ruining The Price Is Right. The worst part? Apparently there will be more episodes like this in season 45. Themes like this are a bad idea and stupid and Mike Richards should feel bad.

So instead of adding something of value to this discussion, you use half your post to insult Mike Richards? It doesn't seem he's "ruining" The Price is Right when ratings have been consistently high these past several years. I doubt a producer who "has no idea what he's doing or how to run a show" can pull off something like that. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad or stupid, and Mike Richards certainly isn't going to "feel bad" just because someone on an Internet forum said he should.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
...Mike Richards certainly isn't going to "feel bad" just because someone on an Internet forum said he should.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »
I really do not like this theme at all. Contestants going back to their seat if their college rival wins the bid? What is this nonsense? It's incredibly stupid, it's unfair to the contestant who didn't win the bid, and it just goes to show that Mike Richards has no idea what he's doing or how to run a show. He is ruining The Price Is Right. The worst part? Apparently there will be more episodes like this in season 45. Themes like this are a bad idea and stupid and Mike Richards should feel bad.
Listen, I didn't like the idea of the special either, but it was not indicative of how this season played out at all. This was one of the best seasons they've put on in his era. Excellent moments from September to June. Decades Week, especially the first two episodes, were a triumph in throwing back for the classic fans. The Big 3 were won in the same season for the first time in forever. And there were plenty of great moments sprinkled throughout that you can see on Youtube. It was wonderful to watch and this one special, even if they do it again, isn't going to taint me much and it shouldn't taint others much either.

I'm sure Mike Richards is going to really bad with the now two Emmy's he's got in the Bungalow.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.