Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 03/25/2016 (College Rivals/March Madness Special)  (Read 31087 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPIR Recap - 03/25/2016 (College Rivals/March Madness Special)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
What a (typical) bunch of whiners. There was nothing wrong with this small change in format, and it didn't hinder the show in any way.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
What a (typical) bunch of whiners. There was nothing wrong with this small change in format, and it didn't hinder the show in any way.

I'm sorry, but today's show was a total misstep.  Once a contestant gets to come on down, they should stay there until show's end.  I know I would be enraged if I had to go back to my seat after going through all that grief in the early morning just to have a chance to be even called down in the first place.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
There was nothing wrong with this small change in format, and it didn't hinder the show in any way.

You'll do to not call the memberbase of this site a bunch of "whiners".

This format was terrible. Calling someone down only to possibly have them sent back to their seat is probably the least Goodson thing they could have done. Just when it seems like they're starting to get it, they go and do something stupid like this.

I am going to say something blasphemous, though...the stupid-looking light panels in the back actually look better with the blue curtain behind them than with the multi-colored ones!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
I'm surprised there wasn't a lot more one-upping between rivals. On any other episode, winning with a one-up means the person you one-upped gets a better bidding position next time -- on this episode, it means they lose all chance of getting onstage.

Let's say my rival gets called first and takes the red display. I get called down second and have to take the blue display. My rival gives a perfect bid. I go back to my seat without ever getting a chance to win. I would not be a happy camper.

Does anybody know whether they gave out additional $300 consolation prizes to the contestants who were sent back to their seats and didn't win $1,000?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
They didn't use the NCAA Basketball on CBS theme at all?
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »
Does anybody know whether they gave out additional $300 consolation prizes to the contestants who were sent back to their seats and didn't win $1,000?

They ought to.  Today's format was just totally ridiculous and unfair.

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »
Hello all... I bet in the near future we will see Cliffhangers played for a car. 😎

Offline scooterndc

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
What a bunch of wet blankets. TPIR has gotten boring the past few seasons. I usually zip through episodes on my TiVo at 3x speed and only watch the games I like (which are fewer and fewer). Switching things up today worked (for me at least)... I watched the entire show. More of this, please!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 11:18:20 PM »
I didn't think the format today was that bad. Yes it is odd for someone to root against the contestant on stage winning, and maybe they shouldn't have had the $1,000 consolation for the rival sent away for that reason. It could have been worse though-- they could have had the rival sent down win the contestant on stage's prize(s) if they lost.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 04:21:24 AM »
The idea of "stealing" the on-stage prize(s) wouldn't have worked well if you have to claim one prize at a time (like Triple Play, More or Less, and even Grand Game to an extent).

Okay, I briefly forgot about Danger Price. That would also be awkward just handing the opponent all four prizes at once.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »
Sometimes, it's possible to way overthink things. It was a fun gimmick built around a theme. And we're talking about an audience nowadays that's raised on more "cutthroat" competition shows and "gimmicks" that upend the basic framework of a competition a bit. It was all in good fun.

Offline Fryguy

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
So, this is Peter, the winner of the Sea Doo. I will say the format was a total blast and the electricity in the studio was amazing. They did not do a great job of capturing that but during all the breaks there was a ton of cheering back and forth against all the rivalries. Some of those schools really hate each other, including TX and OU. That said, they asked us to stil, route for each other during the games and not go negative, which I think everyone did. They could probably tweek it a little where everyone wins but other than that, I thought it was totally fun and everyone I. The studio audience LOVED it!

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 02:09:26 PM »
I suppose one other option (should they choose to do a college special like this again) would be to only invite students from four colleges (maybe if it was planned for this time of year use the 4 schools that make the final four this year for next year's game? - or have it shown later to know the current year final four?) and then make it an ongoing challenge throughout the day.

This would be similar to what they did with the military show once, with each of the four branches having a spot in the row, and when someone won another contestant from that branch came down to replace them.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
So I put two and two together and I finally think I know why they seem to be switching between a regular "flip card" price reveal and throwing off a cover card like they did for the trip in Check Game, as well as trips in Coming or Going from time to time. It all has to do with the monitors the trip is presented on. With the "flip" technique, the price may reflect off the monitors when the model is holding it up. Just a very random observation.

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »
Sending people back from Contestants' Row was just wrong; it doesn't matter if they have rivals head to head.  Not a fan of it and it is against the spirit of The Price Is Right. 

The football helmets were oddly out of place as well.