Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 03/25/2016 (College Rivals/March Madness Special)  (Read 31097 times)

Offline noahproblem

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPIR Recap - 03/25/2016 (College Rivals/March Madness Special)
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »
OK, maybe Harvard and Princeton have a bit of a rivalry in basketball, but the much bigger Ivy League rivalry in general is between Harvard and Yale.
So this is the "get off of my lawn" stage of my life.  I'm not impressed.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
So I put two and two together and I finally think I know why they seem to be switching between a regular "flip card" price reveal and throwing off a cover card like they did for the trip in Check Game, as well as trips in Coming or Going from time to time. It all has to do with the monitors the trip is presented on. With the "flip" technique, the price may reflect off the monitors when the model is holding it up. Just a very random observation.

I thought it was discussed before that when the model is in front of door 4, the studio audience can look and see the price, so that's why the second price tag was added instead of the flip.

Offline jeremynelson1987

• Outside in Line
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »
Sending people back from Contestants' Row was just wrong; it doesn't matter if they have rivals head to head.  Not a fan of it and it is against the spirit of The Price Is Right. 

The football helmets were oddly out of place as well.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but there's a lot of whining going on here.

Guys, this is one episode, and the format fell within what would potentially work in a College Week. It was a nice change up for a day, it was good natured, and it made sense.

Let's also remember- FOURTEEN people got a chance to come on down rather than the nine we normally get- plus the IUFB loser still got a chance to walk away with a nice cash prize. If they didn't want to abide by these rules, they should have just waited for a regular episode- and I'm pretty sure most college kids were just happy to be there, with winning being gravy.

Considering the mood of the crowd each day, I'm sure very few people are going to Studio 33 with the expectation to go in and win the showcase. They've come to cheer, hoot and holler, and if you go in with the mentality of "Showcase or Bust", that's not in the spirit of the show.

I like that they're at least trying to do new things here and there. None of them are with the intent of changing the show's core, but to switch things up from being a monotonous 200 episode slab each season.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 10:49:24 PM »
I wouldn't want to see this all the time, but I suppose for this one show and future ones (assuming they're going to do this every season) I can live with it. It was different, there's no argument there.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 01:04:16 AM »
Guys, this is one episode
It can be the start of an awful precedent.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 02:30:47 AM »
It can be the start of an awful precedent.

That argument is logically flawed.

I think it was a silly idea that really should not have happened, but the fear mongering is more silly than the idea in the first place. I highly doubt this will become a regular occurrence.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 04:05:18 AM »
I didn't hate this. I didn't like it either. It is one episode, but who cares? Of course the next episode isn't going to be like this. Neither is the next season. I've stated on this week's CNAOS podcast that I completely trust the folks in Studio 33. That said, that doesn't mean that I, nor anyone else in this thread, isn't allowed to express the problems with it and that we don't get to have our issues with the episode just because it was only one episode.

The college kids probably came because it was The Price is Right. It's The Price is *freaking* Right. Who wouldn't want to go? That said, I didn't like the idea of someone being sent back to their seat. If only because people called 1st through 8th at least get one more chance to make it on stage.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's first time in the history of the show people who weren't called last didn't get another chance to bid. I didn't like stripping that part of the show out of it. I'm sure some people had no problem with it, but as for myself, I want to try to play a pricing game and, if I'm not called last, I'm taking every shot I get.

The $1,000 was a nice add, but again, it left the air of too much animosity. Perhaps if the show had a chance to show a little more of the camaraderie that Peter talked about, it would've dispelled the idea that everyone was out to get each other. I'm glad to hear that the show told the audience to cheer for each other and make it positive. People like some cutthroat aspects, but I felt at the time that it seemed too much. I mean, I feel that 1-upping (especially during the sixth one bid) is pretty cutthroat as is. Besides, trying to make something more cutthroat might interest viewers for a bit but it certainly doesn't last. I don't hear many people fondly remembering Moment of Truth or Without Prejudice.

While some of you think the Price is Right is boring, I do not. Boring is Wheel of Fortune. Boring is having the same predictable theme weeks season in and season out, never travelling anymore, having ridiculous puzzles with stupid adjectives tacked on and having the minimum amount winnable in the bonus round show up highly frequently (though this most recent fortnight has seen a change in that). The Price is Right doesn't have that problem. They have an array of 75 different (though some can be similar) fun and exciting games that can all play out differently each time they're brought out. They have the chance to present hundreds of different prizes in variety of themes during the showcases. Each show is unique. And I'm not saying that every show is great and exciting. Some of the shows can be standard to me. But in my opinion that is a problem that stems from me watching and observing everyday rather than something wrong with the show itself. My overall point is that The Price is Right, doesn't need this. There were a lot of things Syd tried to push on the show to "fix" what he thought needed to be fixed. But most didn't last because the show creates what makes it special. I think that's something Mike and Company have realized over the years which is the reason I've loved watching the show for the last few seasons and why I trust them fully with it.

All that said, I don't mind them trying new things out and of all the things to try, I again didn't hate it. We've heard thanks to Mike's, now defunct, podcast that the staff really does mull over the theme weeks and specials they do. I'm sure a lot of the thought went into putting this together and I'm sure not everyone agreed on it (maybe even Mike), so I can't poo-poo on it so much. Though my personal preference would be not to try this again, if the show does, I'd look forward to it.

I enjoyed this episode because it was still an episode of The Price is Right. I don't have to love everything about an episode to enjoy it. How do you think I make it through all the Lucky Seven setups this season? :p
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:15:17 AM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
So...um...that was awkward.  There's something that seems very wrong about giving people in the studio a reason to root against an onstage contestant, but that's what happened today -- they actually showed Adam and his friends cheering because he'd just won $1,000 when Melanie lost Hi Lo.  Additionally, I don't feel like they thought out the rules for Contestants' Row all that well -- they made it sound like whoever got called first had some sort of advantage by bidding first, but in fact, the exact opposite is true.  I know that in and of itself is no different than on any other episode, but when you're calling attention to it as part of the main thrust of your theme, it really starts to feel like a problem.

It was a decent show in and of itself, what with four wins, the two losers each winning $1,000 on the Big Wheel, and an extremely rare no-car lineup, but the rivals aspect didn't fit in at all and really needs to never be done again.

The whole "rooting against someone" is awkward until you consider IT'S COLLEGE RIVALS.

And that's only not awkward until you consider IT'S THE PRICE IS RIGHT.  The pricing games (Double Bullseye notwithstanding) are supposed to be played against the house, not another contestant.

I am going to say something blasphemous, though...the stupid-looking light panels in the back actually look better with the blue curtain behind them than with the multi-colored ones!

I hardly think that's blasphemous.  The light columns actually fit in much better when they're only competing with one color of curtain instead of three.  The whole deal wound up looking a lot nicer on the air than it did in a picture.  The only thing I don't like is the G-T asterisks hanging over the gap between the Turntable and Door #1.  They were kind of distracting and looked really out of place.

Sometimes, it's possible to way overthink things. It was a fun gimmick built around a theme. And we're talking about an audience nowadays that's raised on more "cutthroat" competition shows and "gimmicks" that upend the basic framework of a competition a bit. It was all in good fun.

Who had quarter to ten Saturday morning in the "Imhomerjay Drops in to Explain Why Everyone Who Disliked the Theme Is Wrong" pool?

Let's also remember- FOURTEEN people got a chance to come on down rather than the nine we normally get

Yeah, and EIGHT of them didn't get out of Contestants' Row instead of the usual three, and FOUR of those instead of the usual one or zero only got one chance to bid.  You don't really have a valid point here.

None of them are with the intent of changing the show's core

Well, that's too bad, 'cause that's pretty much what happened here.

What a (typical) bunch of whiners. There was nothing wrong with this small change in format, and it didn't hinder the show in any way.

You know something?  You're a jerk.

There are more mature ways to express your disagreements with people.  Don't ever post something like this again.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
What a (typical) bunch of whiners. There was nothing wrong with this small change in format, and it didn't hinder the show in any way.

There are more mature ways to express your disagreements with people.  Don't ever post something like this again.

There's some level of irony to this.  You don't like the name Off_trak called people, and you call him a name and then tell him not to do it.  Care to try again?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »
Who had quarter to ten Saturday morning in the "Imhomerjay Drops in to Explain Why Everyone Who Disliked the Theme Is Wrong" pool?

There are more mature ways to express your disagreements with people.

Bed Bath and Beyond had a lovely kettle in a stunning shade of noir that might go well with your pots.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »
There's some level of irony to this.  You don't like the name Off_trak called people, and you call him a name and then tell him not to do it.  Care to try again?

I believe Mr. Gavazzi was proving a point. And as an admin, as well as one of the longest standing members and outstanding contributors to this site, you know, I believe his opinion is very much valid.

Bed Bath and Beyond had a lovely kettle in a stunning shade of noir that might go well with your pots.

I don't even know what this means.

Now, I'm just going to give everyone a nickel's worth of free advice and suggest we end the senseless bickering here. There's an excellent private message feature if you feel the need to express your concerns of another member's actions, so use it, if need be.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 09:15:20 PM »

Nope.

I don't even know what this means.

He seems to have been trying to hit me with a "Pot.  Kettle.  Black."  Unfortunately for him, the two statements he used to try to do it -- somebody insulting the entire site and me informing him that it's jerky to insult the entire site -- aren't anywhere near as parallel as he tried to make them sound.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:03 PM »
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
And that's only not awkward until you consider IT'S THE PRICE IS RIGHT.  The pricing games (Double Bullseye notwithstanding) are supposed to be played against the house, not another contestant.

Your point is well taken.  However, I've seen more than a few one-ups in Contestant's Row that were more acrimonious than any of the "anti-cheering" that went on during this episode.   
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 12:16:28 AM »
There was so much to dislike this episode it is difficult to find a place to start. And sure it's one episode, but this is the worst misstep the staff has taken in quite some time.

The rooting against somebody on stage was not properly thought out. They can give instructions all they want about being friendly, and I'm glad the audience seemed to follow, but there's no doubt I would be shouting out wrong answers from my seat if it meant me winning $1,000.

Due to the large number of explanations and constant movement of people, the lineup was completely hacked to death. No car or cash games and 5 one prizers?

Finally, I hope they explained to people that in order to participate they were giving up their eligibility for the next 10 years and might only get a single chance to bid if their rival won.

Let's mark this one "not for repeat" and move on.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline jeremynelson1987

• Outside in Line
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 12:48:16 AM »
Yeah, and EIGHT of them didn't get out of Contestants' Row instead of the usual three, and FOUR of those instead of the usual one or zero only got one chance to bid.  You don't really have a valid point here.
Oh, but I do- you just don't understand the motivation of a regular college student.

College kids come to see The Price is Right because it's fun, and that's what college kids do. None, if any, are coming in with the intent to take the show for $50K. They get to go to LA with their friends and be on TV- if they get called down or anything more, that's gravy. That being said, you're providing extra face time to five extra people who just want to come on down, and that's enough for them because not everyone gets to do that. You're special because you're one of the few who were selected in a sea of 300.