Author Topic: Match Game Revival Coming to ABC!  (Read 17083 times)

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
Re: Match Game Revival Coming to ABC!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 06:38:37 AM »
I don't know what clips you've seen, but the set isn't as cold and metal bound as Donnymid, and the rule set is actually good. Have a little faith. :)
Not really talking about the set or the rules here -- I don't think Dick Clark would ever twerk.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »
Not really talking about the set or the rules here -- I don't think Dick Clark would ever twerk.
Don't be too sure, I've always wondered what would happen if Nicki Minaj appeared on American Bandstand.

Also, I still don't think that instance reminds me of Donnymid. That show wasn't really known for inserting random stuff into the show.

Terry Crews is an energetic person, I can see how one thing can lead to another, but hearing from other people who have attended the show and having seen two episodes myself, it certainly isn't the norm. So, keep hope alive. :)
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
I think he meant the 5 celebrities rather than 6 aspect.
5...6....the number wasn't the issue. Talent...that was. They could have added a sixth, and if it was someone on par with Judy Tenuta...well, I fail,to see how that would have fixed things. 😄

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2016, 10:05:31 PM »
Match Game official facebook page. The set looks very nice and modern i'm glad they didn't went the tbs route

https://www.facebook.com/matchgameabc/?fref=photo

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2016, 10:59:03 PM »
I really like that.  A nice blend of classic and modern much like the current TPIR set.  Well done, ABC.

The actual retail price is...

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 01:14:16 AM »
Damn I love that set. Retro yet modern at the same time, and unlike TPIR's set, it actually blends together quite well.

Between that and Pyramid using actual trilons for the pyramid, holy crap. This is looking like one hell of a summer for game shows.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 02:22:17 AM »
Man, I kinda want both Match Game and Pyramid to enter syndication after the summer.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 10:29:12 AM »
Man, I kinda want both Match Game and Pyramid to enter syndication after the summer.
Along with Press Your Luck and Card Sharks! :mrgreen:

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 02:16:45 AM »
From what I've now seen, this looks like a hit.

Except...

Now that they have released the list of celebrity panelists, it is obvious the host is going to be the biggest name.  The problem here is Alec Baldwin will outshine the "celebrity" panel, at least in name recognition and popularity.  This defeats the core of the game which is to to match the STARS.  Let's face it, Gene Rayburn was (at the time) just a game show host.  Here, the host is sadly the only star.  The panel is made of mostly a bunch of SNL dropouts or rejects.

I really hope the C-listers they have can step it up.  This has so much potential.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 12:43:40 AM »
Here, the host is sadly the only star.
I don't think that's completely fair. It seems that Rosie O'Donnell is a regular here and I'd certainly consider her a star. Is she on the same level as Alec? No, but she's close. Very memorable for her place in television over the last 20 years.

Also, I wouldn't consider the original 70s version that "star-studded". Brett Somers wasn't much more than a B/C-actress and the same could be said of Richard Dawson when he first started. Both of them really experienced true stardom because of the show.

I'll agree that the lineup is a little odd with the SNL alumni party, but I think that's because a lot of them have worked with Alec since he's hosted so many times and they figured he could have a good reparte with them. I think that's smart.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 01:07:50 AM »
Very fitting that the set has built-in drink holders for the panel.  ;)

Also, I wouldn't consider the original 70s version that "star-studded". Brett Somers wasn't much more than a B/C-actress and the same could be said of Richard Dawson when he first started. Both of them really experienced true stardom because of the show.

Gene Rayburn was better known than Brett or Charles, at least, when the show began.  Beyond his game show experience (and illustrious radio career), he was the sidekick on The Tonight Show for several years.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 02:01:30 AM »
Also remember that this version is being taped in New York, not Hollywood...so their access to A-listers is perhaps a bit limited. Much easier to get SNL folks when 30 Rock is just a stone's throw from Times Square.

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:59 AM »
Much easier to get SNL folks when 30 Rock is just a stone's throw from Times Square.

It doesn't change your point, but just for the record the show is being taped at the ABC West End Avenue studios, not the Times Square Studios.  They're using the studio that was used by The View until that show moved to the main ABC complex near Central Park.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
A couple stone's throws from 30 Rock then. Close enough. :lol:

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 12:27:28 AM »
Heres Alex reading a question. I love the set its amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D6A5G1iC68&index=4&list=LLSXf3Wp006cQAhwZxgiv-hQ