Author Topic: Mash-Up Week info (relatively-minor spoilers)  (Read 6211 times)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Mash-Up Week info (relatively-minor spoilers)
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »
A promo for the upcoming week was uploaded to YouTube rather briefly (it was removed quickly, resulting in my only being able to watch it once), and I felt that it should be discussed in some manner. (Moderators, if you feel some part of this is improper, I would appreciate corrective edits or the like. Thank you. :-))

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

-At least Wayne and Jonathan shall appear on the Price set, along with at least three Deal games: Car Pong, Gold Rush, and whatever game it is that involves smashing piggy banks (there were some products in front of the piggy banks). There was also a clip which indicates that Wayne shall host at least part of an episode.
-At least Drew and, I believe, Rachel shall appear on the Deal set, along with at least three Price games: Hole In One, Punch-A-Bunch, and Cliff Hangers.
-The logos are also swapped for the week, although not the typefaces for whatever reason.

I do hope the games borrowed from Deal are retained by Price, as I rather do like variety and believe these could help. (That, and I am quite curious how Mr. Gavazzi shall handle this situation in the FAQ.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:49:16 AM by Alfonzo »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: Mash-Up Week info (relatively-minor spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:28:34 PM »
Really not looking forward to this. Deal games just aren't going to work on Price. They inherently aren't about pricing items, so any attempt to add pricing to them will look hamfisted.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:49:48 AM by Alfonzo »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Mashup Week info (relatively-minor spoilers)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
I am taking more of a "wait and see" approach to this. Adding pricing may make the Deal games worse or out-of-place, but on the other hand they could be improved.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:48 PM »
I do hope the games borrowed from Deal are retained by Price, as I rather do like variety and believe these could help. (That, and I am quite curious how Mr. Gavazzi shall handle this situation in the FAQ.)

They're pricing games, albeit games with extremely short and intentionally limited lifespans. Why wouldn't they be treated the same as other games?
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
Why wouldn't they be treated the same as other games?
I...am not certain.

The reasoning which comes to mind is that I do not believe any other pricing game was ever designed to have an intentionally limited lifespan, as well as the fact that no pricing game in the American franchise has ever been played once and only once (Professor Price, bad that it was, at least got two). I note the latter because these three, borrowed from Deal, give the impression of being one-offs (which, again, I hope is not the case).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:35:36 PM by GuyWithFace »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 02:47:05 AM »
They're pricing games, albeit games with extremely short and intentionally limited lifespans. Why wouldn't they be treated the same as other games?

Because they're not pricing games.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
We had Plinko already on LMAD during a previous April Fool's show, and it was clever having the Zonk instead of a 0. There was also a deal back during the Monty era (possibly before TPIR) that was a loose variation of Grand Game, right on down to the payoff but with a different style of pricing. And don't forget in the show's original promo reel from 1972, a clip from LMAD was used, and given that the game inspired Hole In One's pricing concept, should be an interesting game to see. LMAD also has its own Wheel (filled with money, cars, Zonks, and prizes) that could be a good mashup with the Big Wheel, except for the Zonk spaces replacing the Over and the Car spaces awarding a bonus spin. I'm more curious about how a Showcase/Big Deal mashup would work, perhaps play Splendido for the "Zonk" showcase?
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »
Well, there was Movin on Up from the BigJon game...and I wouldn't be surprised if they played it on TPIR for real!

Offline billiamk

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »
Take the SP pricing elements out of many The Price is Right games and replace with random choices or trivia and you have Let's Make a Deal games.

Take many of the random choices or trivia out of many Let's Make a Deal games and replace with SP pricing elements and you have The Price is Right games.

Most of the games on the original and previous versions of Let's Make a Deal involved pricing items to earn chances, letters in the name of cars, zeros to $10,000, etc. The only reason the current Let's Make a Deal does not have pricing elements as part of game play is so it can be different from The Price ir Right. I think this is going to work out better than most people anticipate.
Insert witty and/or creative signature here

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
Take the SP pricing elements out of many The Price is Right games and replace with random choices or trivia and you have Let's Make a Deal games.

You are half-right, in that you only went half-way here.  Many early Deal games could certainly be Price games, but the other half move away from pricing and move towards the psychology of the player. Having a player smash piggie banks without pricing anything is outside the spirit of TPIR.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 10:01:29 PM »
Well, there was Movin on Up from the BigJon game...and I wouldn't be surprised if they played it on TPIR for real!

I would.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline billiamk

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:23:11 PM »
You are half-right, in that you only went half-way here.  Many early Deal games could certainly be Price games, but the other half move away from pricing and move towards the psychology of the player. Having a player smash piggie banks without pricing anything is outside the spirit of TPIR.

Unless there is a pricing element to determine how many banks get smashed. Then it would be similar to Pass the Buck with making selections but the risk of "Lose Everything."
Insert witty and/or creative signature here

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 12:58:40 AM »
When is this week?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Mash-Up Week info (relatively-minor spoilers)
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 03:40:27 AM »
When is this week?

May 9th. Good ol' Sweeps Week.

Video link: http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/t/the-price-is-right-mash-up-week/vp-BBsovKw

Looking at the clip, I'm quite intrigued as to how Cliff Hangers will be played on Deal. I noticed that a bright orange strip was placed along the mountain between the 16th and 25th steps. I think this might be quite interesting seeing Wayne and Drew do even a little bit of hosting on the different shows. Looking very forward to it!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:39:50 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won