Author Topic: Cue used in Ten Chances  (Read 3431 times)

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
Cue used in Ten Chances
« on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:30 PM »
I remember when the first two prizes in Ten Chances had two cues: Sam (about 23.9 seconds in) quickly followed by Rye Bred (17 seconds in).  Then, when the car is introduced a car cue is used.

Has anyone else noticed lately that they do not follow Sam with the Rye Bred cue?  Anyone know when or why that change took place?  Personally, I liked the Sam intro followed by the Rye Bred better.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Cue used in Ten Chances
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:57:40 PM »
I have never, ever seen that done...and I've seen Ten Chances playings from as early as 1984.

Honestly, I think you're imagining things.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »
I'm pretty certain I don't have any episodes with this happening, either.  I have episodes where the same (one) cue is used for all 3 prizes, but I can't recall ever hearing more than 2 prize cues in this game. I can't imagine them using 2 separate cues for the first two prizes...

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »
I thought it was just Sam for both small prizes before they introduced the vehicle.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 11:00:13 AM »
I swear I'm not lying!  In fact, youtube once had a clip posted from an earlier playing (I think late 70's/early 80's) that I referenced in an earlier post... here is the original post with your own confirmation, Steve :)!  (FYI, upon last check, that video has been removed from YT)

http://www.golden-road.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=72&forum=4

To prove how old the episode actually was, they used the family feud theme for the car that show!

So, since none of you believed that Rye Bred was ever used, I'm guessing my original question won't be answered. :(

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
temptation1979ga wrote:

I can't imagine them using 2 separate cues for the first two prizes

They didn't use Sam for one prize and Rye Bred for the other... they used a short snippet of Sam (23.9 seconds in to about 26.5 seconds in - just the horns section) followed immediately by Rye Bred, which was used during the description of the first two prizes... then they obviously played to the car cue next.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 04:44:14 PM »
But your original question reads as if using Sam and Rye Bred was a common practice when I can't say that I've ever seen that done even once. So your asking "when or why the change took place" doesn't really make sense. And there's no "lately" to it. It seems more like a one-time happening.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:47:31 PM »
PIR85 wrote:

I swear I'm not lying!  In fact, youtube once had a clip posted from an earlier playing (I think late 70's/early 80's) that I referenced in an earlier post... here is the original post with your own confirmation, Steve :)!  (FYI, upon last check, that video has been removed from YT)

http://www.golden-road.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=72&forum=4

To prove how old the episode actually was, they used the family feud theme for the car that show!

So, since none of you believed that Rye Bred was ever used, I'm guessing my original question won't be answered. :(

Actually, you are indeed imagining things.  The clip in question is from this website, labeled as Act 5 from October 16, 1981.  If you will kindly watch it, you will hear quite plainly that it does not contain any of Sam.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:07:24 PM »
Oh, that's the clip he saw?  Nope, no Sam whatsoever.  

It seems that for a while they might have switched between Sam and Rye.

temptation1979ga wrote:

I have episodes where the same (one) cue is used for all 3 prizes,

I'm curious, what music did they use?

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 08:57:08 PM »
Probably one of those cues that didn't really sound like a car cue. Until 1976 (when The Big Banana, Family Feud and Bean Stalker were added to the library), most of the car cues were simply the music beds used for showcases. (Like the trombones-only version of the old Come on Down music. Or the Moog-only version of same.)

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 10:52:24 PM »
To answer your question, it was actually a version of the "contestants not appearing onstage" cue.  It just played on all the way through all 3 of the prize descriptions.  Kindof neat to hear for a change of pace!

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 07:50:38 PM »
Wow...I wouldn't have ever guessed that.  I would've said what you said, actual_retail_tice.  

Was it one of the lighter, piano-sounding ones versions, or the lower version often used for trips and furniture?  

Thanks for your help.