Author Topic: My trip to Price  (Read 2446 times)

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
My trip to Price
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »
Well, I finally acheived my life-long dream of going to Price on March 21st, so I will share.

I arrived from KCI at LAX at 8:35 PM. The shuttle picked me up, and stopped twice to pick a couple more couples up, and we headed to CBS to drop me off first. I found out that all of us were going to Price on Wednesday, however, they were going to hotel first, then Price. One couple was from Chicago, and the other from Vancouver, who last went to Price in 1997. Both couples didn't believe that you needed to get in line hours before the suggested time. So, when we got to CBS about 10:15, they were shocked to see that I was in line about half the block back. The Chicago couple still thought that they'd be good to get to Price at 6 AM, while the Canadians said they'd check in at the Beverly Inn and meet me. So, I got in line behind a family from Spokane, and a couple from Ohio got in line behind me. The Canadians came back and said they needed sleep, so they were going to the hotel, and would maybe not go to the show until Thursday.

The family from Spokane was very nice and welcoming. Their kids went to The Grove to sleep in their car, while the husband & wife stayed in line. They offered to share their blanket with me, which I definitely accepted. While the husband fell asleep pretty easily, his wife & I could not. We practiced prices, and watched the line grow. A group from Utah came in behind the two Ohioans. The line kept growing to the end of the block, and then at about 3 AM, several parties of college kids arrived, most of whom didn't get in the show. Then, at 6 AM, the line erupted in applause, and got up and moved toward the gates. Chuck handed out priority numbers while Claudia directed everyone to come back at 7:15. I went to breakfast with the Spokane family, and saw the Canadians on the way. They got arrivals #322 and #323, while I got #108. After breakfast, we headed back to CBS.

In the promenade, we all got in order of our arrival numbers. Chuck was great warming us up, and asked us individually where we were from, and if we were celebrating anything. Following this, we were exchanging our OOAs for Priority numbers, and I became priority 105. We were then told to come back at 9:45.

At 9:45, we came back and sat down in no particular order. Chuck directed everyone numbered 1-110 to sit down in the south promenade, while everyone else sat down by the gift shop. We were filling out contestant cards, I was number 100, and Charles came around to collect the information sides of the cards. Chuck came around to give us our nametags. I said my name was Nathan, but he saw Nathaniel on my driver's license and had to put that. By this time, it was 12:00, and then Chuck came to warm us up again. This time, he told us he was a contestant on the March 7, 2005 taping and played It's in the Bag, and didn't win. By this time, it was about 12:30, and we were left to wait. About 20 standbys were turned away, and Chuck gave them all nametags. Then, at 1:15, Stan and a woman came out for interviews. I was in the second to last group of 1-110 to be interviewed. Stan said, "Hello Nate!", noticing my full name, then asked me what I go by. I said "Nate's fine." He asked me where I was from, and what I do, and I told him I tape the show everyday. He asked me my college plans, and majors. I said communications, and he said, "Well, that would work well for you, because I am communicating pretty well with you!" While heading to 33, a woman behind me told me she was convinced I'd be picked because of what she saw in the interview. Anyhow, I prepared for anything.

We were let in the studio at 2:15. When people say that the studio is smaller than it looks, they are absolutely right. The Canadians got in the studio, sitting in the first row, far left on the flat area in the middle of the audience, while I sat in the middle of the second short row to the left of the flat area. Rich warmed us up, and said that Price is the "fastest moving show in television". I knew this was code for "Price is the most cut-down game show in television history for commercials". Anyhow, we heard "one-minute!" and I looked back at a woman from Utah in the row behind me, and we high-fived. The show started, and you couldn't hear a thing. I won't spoil the show!

During the show, Jeff Thisted was getting the audience to give car-equivalent reactions to flatware and other non-expensive items. Rich was getting the audience to clap when the applause sign wasn't on, like during 3-prize games which usually didn't have applause in between the prize descriptions.

Before the showcases, we were practicing "oohs" and "ahs". Bob told us we'd better say "ah", but a few would need to say "ooh" to balance it out. He called on me to practice and said, "Stand up, red arms!" (I wore a red sweater.) He said, "Give me your best ooh!" I did. He said, "Sit down."

The show ended, and Gabby drew a number for the Price DVD game and $100. I said goodbye to the Spokanians, and I headed back to LAX for my 6:50 flight. It was an awesome experience that I'd love to do again.

The show airs April 20th.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: My trip to Price
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:59:01 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast. I am glad your dream finally came true!

Yes, they require full first names on the nametags... Hence why I am Deborah, and Chuck was Charles (don't call him Charles, though), and Ted is Theodore...

(What's funny about this is a long time ago, I had a friend who went by B.J. If he ever went to TPIR, his nametag would say Billy - not William - because his legal first name was actually Billy.)

A shame some people didn't chose to believe you about the lines. They have gone totally insane, as we've heard and seen. If you're not in line by 2 am (at the absolute latest), you're SOL. Showing up at 6 am wasn't a guarantee before Bob's announcement, and now you've got no chance in heck if you get out that late...

A shame they had to learn the hard way.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your episode. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »
I was totally surprised the couple from Vancouver that was in the shuttle with me got in line at 5 AM and actually got in the show.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 04:40:57 AM »
The last taping I attended (January 30)? They wouldn't have.. Even though they were still taking groups at that point, there were so many people out in line by 5 am that they wouldn't even have gotten a standby number..

Talk about getting darned lucky.

Offline MissMurder

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:33 AM »
I'm attending the show again on May 21st. I managed to go on February 14th, waiting in line from 12:30am the night before and was #49 in the studio. I'll imagine the lines will be even crazier in May....I'm definitely booking a hotel and arriving just before dusk the day before!

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:20:56 AM »
I didn't get the chance to talk to Nate (ILoveBonusGame) very much--mainly because I was #151, but I would imagine he saw me wearing my "Blue Crew" shirt.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 06:23:39 AM »
GB, as #151, sounds like you got in.. I'm looking forward to seeing your story in this forum somewhere (yes, I'm catching up)... At least, I better. :-P

Colleen, I think it's safe to say you would not be #49 if you showed up at 12:30 am in May... Very safe to say.

I can also see it's a small, small world. One thing I thought I'd never see on this forum is another person from Riverside.. :lol: