Author Topic: September 14th, 1987 - 16th Season Premiere!  (Read 1500 times)

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: September 14th, 1987 - 16th Season Premiere!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
I find it strange that they didn't decorate the set for this premiere. They did for the 15th Anniversary (which was a milestone year), and they decorated the set for the Season 17 premiere the following year.

Also, the budget was pretty cheap considering it's a season premiere. No three-car day, no expensive cars in the pricing games, or even Plinko. The closest thing to an expensive prize was that Pontiac Trans Am in the first showcase.

Clock Game was fun to watch. We have a contestant who doubts her abilities to play well and then employs a great strategy to win in just 16 seconds.

Race Game was almost an example of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory." Randolph made no changes to the prices for his second turn, but thankfully he switched the three pricetags to win with just six seconds left.

It was neat to see the models open up the clam manually to get to the chess table in the sixth bidding round.

Personally, this was the first time I've seen Card Game continue after an ace was played. Contestants weren't pressured to end the game right then and there back then. It was painful to see Kathy lose by $97.

I wonder if the Cruise Ship prop was retired after this season. This was the latest I've seen it appear on the show.

It was neat to see a tuxedo offered as a prize, with Rod modeling it.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »
I'm surprised that Kathy was over by so little.  Those Mazda trucks were generally very cheap, and that one seemed unloaded (or close to it). 

It seemed really strange to play two two-prizers back-to-back.  I know that it was somewhat common back then, but it's still weird. 

For you timing wizards - is this lineup still feasible today?

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:23 PM »
I don't know about timing, but two timed games in the same lineup (Clock & Race, in this case) definitely wouldn't happen these days. Was that common back then?
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »
This is one of the reasons why the MRRP sound should have been kept on Card Game throughout the Barker era when they overbid (as it was heard here) rather than changing it to the tenor buzzer sometime in the 90s that didn't fit. So close and by so little - thought the car was worth more to make this game a win...