Author Topic: The New $100,000 Pyramid  (Read 20340 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: The New $100,000 Pyramid
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »
I also thought it was pretty cool to see the last Winner's Circle round just gently come to an end with a single ding and a turn of the $5000 trilon. :)

Both Winner's Circle rounds in the first game ended with a single ding, too...certainly felt off. Where's the rest of the dings?
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2016, 11:04:41 PM »
And I have to mention Barbara Corcoran: I was shaking my head a bit in reaction to her performance, but she did make the show more interesting and entertaining I'd say.

And for old time's sake, the judge communicated with her by sounding the buzzer!

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »
Both Winner's Circle rounds in the first game ended with a single ding, too...certainly felt off. Where's the rest of the dings?

I just finished watching tonight's episode and the other dings were definitely there but they sounded like they were way off in the distance.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
And for old time's sake, the judge communicated with her by sounding the buzzer!
Yes! Thank you for mentioning that.

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 12:25:41 AM »
Am I crazy or was there a "noise" that indicated the 30 seconds being put on the clock during the main game? Has it always been there? With my tinny faraway TV it sounded like a splash of water.
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline namilliron

• In the Audience
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
Am I crazy or was there a "noise" that indicated the 30 seconds being put on the clock during the main game? Has it always been there? With my tinny faraway TV it sounded like a splash of water.

About the only version that had a sound  indicating the clock was Osmond from 2002-04.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 11:17:55 PM »

It's definitely there. Kind of has a "tock" sound.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline pete1974

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
Is it required that the contestants give the clues in the winners circle?

I don't think I've ever seen a contestant receive in this version.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
Is it required that the contestants give the clues in the winners circle?

I don't think I've ever seen a contestant receive in this version.
Quite the contrast compared to the 80s Pyramid with Dick Clark, where the celebrity player gave the clues much more often than not. The contestant had the option to give the clues though; I do remember seeing that now and then.

I'm not sure if there is an option in this version; so far only the contestant has given the clues.

By the way, I would want to give the clues in the Winner's Circle if I were a contestant. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:16:12 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2016, 06:41:38 PM »
I'm not sure if there is an option in this version; so far only the contestant has given the clues.

From what I have read elsewhere, they are strongly encouraged to do so.  The rationale comes down to the fact that the civilian players have invested way more time in preparation for the game than the celebrity players; thus, they're more prepared for the more difficult work of giving good clues.

Contrast that with the '70s and '80s versions where the Friends of Bob Stewart Club celebrity players played the game frequently enough to become very familiar with it.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2016, 11:36:02 AM »
Could also be that the celebrities wouldn't want to be the ones messing up the game?  After all, giving a bad clue in the main round costing a point here or there is one thing, giving that one bad clue that costs someone the chance to win $100,000 is another.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2016, 03:42:19 AM »
On the August 14, 2016 episodes: I just wanted to share some good Winner's Circle clues the family and I came up with while the particular round was being played. For "Things that are Buried" I immediately thought of "the hatchet" to go along with "dead bodies" and "a closed casket", and for "Types of Knives", along with "chef's", "steak", and "butter", I thought of "Swiss army" and "pocket" right away while my sister came up with "paring". (Good one Sis! :) )

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
We had a record for fastest playing of the Winner's Circle tonight. I say playing because a contestant said "Saggy" for "Things That Droop", ending the round with 35 seconds to go.

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2016, 03:45:03 AM »
We had a record for fastest playing of the Winner's Circle tonight. I say playing because a contestant said "Saggy" for "Things That Droop", ending the round with 35 seconds to go.

The Money-Saving Box strikes again. Does Billy Crystal still hold the record for fastest Winner's Circle win, then?
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
So we now officially know that the synonym rule is being applied in this version's Winner's Circle round. Amazing pace to get to that subject regardless. 

By the way, any good clues out there for "Things That Are Pure"? I thought of "driven snow" and "Ivory soap", but those might be considered a bit dated.

The Money-Saving Box strikes again. Does Billy Crystal still hold the record for fastest Winner's Circle win, then?
I'm not sure but I think so. I would enjoy seeing him play on the current version, and the record could be brought up, even if he doesn't currently hold it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:32:23 PM by GameShowKid »