Author Topic: The New $100,000 Pyramid  (Read 20308 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The New $100,000 Pyramid
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 01:55:59 PM »
Possibly the best souvenir that I got from the day I went to a taping was this picture of me and a woman in the audience. She picked me in a Dating Game minigame that was played in between the tapings of the Rosie/Kathy shows (since the 2nd was impromptu, it took a bit longer to get everything ready). We danced on the set while Michael watched and Kathy and Rosie got prepared for the next show. Tom Kelly, the warm up guy, took it and recently sent it to me. I didn't even notice Strahan photobombing us in the background. It's definitely a picture I'll cherish.

"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 12:14:19 AM »
On the July 3, 2016 episodes: It was cool to see someone actually go for $100,000 this week.

Along with "surf" and "skate" I would have said "emery" for "Types of Boards". I didn't think of "ouija"; great clue.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 12:37:33 AM »
"Chalk" would have been a good clue as well.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 12:55:38 AM »
I find they're a little too generous with "form of the word" answers. For the Made in America category, 'mouse' wasn't acceptable an an answer for mice, as you can't spell mouse with the letters in America.

Also, what was up with the lack of theme music in both shows?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:00:53 AM by Off_trak »
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 02:43:39 AM »
Am I crazy, or did I actually see someone behind the main game pyramid turning the trilons?
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 04:16:27 AM »
Am I crazy, or did I actually see someone behind the main game pyramid turning the trilons?
Nope you're not crazy. There is someone standing behind there to turn the trilons.

So modern and yet so old school at the same time.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Up for some Bankroll?
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 04:57:16 AM »
Oh, man... I am loving this show more and more!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
Nope you're not crazy. There is someone standing behind there to turn the trilons.

So modern and yet so old school at the same time.
Wow. I wasn't sure if the trilon turning was an effect or actually being done mechanically. Old school is right. :)  Cool.

*recalls Dick Clark shouting at the guys behind the Winner's Circle pyramid at times: "Next!"*  :-)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:12:44 AM by GameShowKid »

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 10:29:58 AM »
I find they're a little too generous with "form of the word" answers. For the Made in America category, 'mouse' wasn't acceptable an an answer for mice, as you can't spell mouse with the letters in America.

How is accepting the singular form of "mice" too generous?

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
Wow. I wasn't sure if the trilon turning was an effect or actually being done mechanically. Old school is right. :)  Cool.

*recalls Dick Clark shouting at the guys behind the Winner's Circle pyramid at times: "Next!"*  :-)

If you like old school, how about these facts you probably don't know? According to a high-up with the show:

-Yes, it's humans doing the trilons, as mentioned. But, not just that; even the intro was done manually, though according to the source, "a couple extra grips [were brought in] for that".

-One of the guys who turned the trilons, Tom Egan, is the son of Bill Egan, who turned them on the Dick Clark version.

-There are a core group of Pyramid aficionados on staff, which they meticulously made sure to mix classic yet modern, from everything from set, to sound effects, to directing.

How is accepting the singular form of "mice" too generous?

I'd take it the issue roots from the fact you had to spell the words made from AMERICA, and a rather literal interpretation of that category's rule means you -only- take words that can be spelled using those seven letters, no variations. I personally think that's a bit strict, since you've certainly got the idea down if you're guessing a plural, but just my guess as to his perspective. However, under this category's restrictions, that shouldn't be counted, since there is no O, U, S in AMERICA.

Loved seeing my friend Eugene on last night; made my viewing experience that much more immersive! Next month I get to do it all over again...gosh, this show is so well done. Appointment television.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:05:17 PM by Prizes »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »
"Why you use Skype" was a killer. For "Things you Declare", I would have said your independence and bankruptcy.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 03:46:06 PM »
"Why you use Skype" was a killer. For "Things you Declare", I would have said your independence and bankruptcy.
Great clues there.

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Up for some Bankroll?
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 04:05:06 PM »
-Yes, it's humans doing the trilons, as mentioned.

Is it just the main game trilons or are there humans turning the Winner's Circle trilons as well?

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
I noticed the lack in music too.  Have they lost the rights to the theme music?
I watched it on CTV, it is possible they don't have the rights to air it on their airwaves?

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 08:23:42 PM »
I noticed the lack in music too.  Have they lost the rights to the theme music?

The theme was reworked a bit...the new version is notably quieter than the original. It was still there, though the audio mixing could have just been bad. For what it's worth, the new theme is probably the one gripe I have about the show...it's competent, sure, but by no means great...especially when there are parts missing!

Does it detract from the show as a whole, though? Absolutely not. They absolutely, 100%, did the show right. Best game show revival of the 21st century? Abso-freaking-lutely.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:39:47 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.