Author Topic: Future of HYO?  (Read 25283 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Future of HYO?
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:21 PM »
I keep forgetting to post this, but if people have noticed, there has not been a show on here in quite a while, now before you make an opinion, I've asked around and gotten a couple differing opinions and I'd like to show off:

Getting rid of it: The primary problem is obvious, there's no shows be submitted to me. A lot of the good hosts that we know now have lives. They are great hosts, but man, I've not gotten anything in a while that I haven't approved. Two of our admins have suggested that it just get shut down, which I have a feeling will end up occurring if nothing is done. They think that it is just not interesting anymore to people and I completely understand their opinion. However, my preference is to spend the Priceless Summer doing something different:

Something different: Back in the day, we used to have Weekly Pricing Game in the Host Your Own section for playing one game by different hosts. During this time, and if catches on, permanently, people can submit to me one game and we just have fun with different people hosting one game at a time. This opens the door for people to be able to host on a quicker basis. I will approve it all, but it's a lot easier than hosting 6 shows. It's something to get invigoration into the call. 

I can leave it up to you guys, but I really want to try the latter idea before the former becomes a reality.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Future of HYO?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »
As an outsider to the HYO forum (and honestly most of GR.com), weekly pricing games sound like a fun idea. As your post suggests the block is mostly on people having time to organize and host a full game, something smaller and more 'pick up and play' sounds like a solid answer.

If one thing isn't working, change it up so that it works.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »
This sounds interesting. I didn't think I could handle hosting an entire show, but one game would obviously be a lot easier.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
I like your suggestion. I've been wanting to host a full show for over a year (and have made several graphics of pricing games that I've been dying to use), but I just haven't had the time to sit down, compile a script, visit shops and grocery stores, etc. and overall create a show to host. With your idea, I'd finally be able to use them and get a little bit of hosting experience.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:45 PM »
Since my last show, I finally got employed and simply hadn't had the time or drive to put together a whole show. I definitely feel that this one-game format would not only invigorate the section, but allow for some much-needed variety in the hosts. As a suggestion, if people wanted to keep some semblance of the show's format, after every 6 games we could have someone submit a Showcase idea.

This section was, and still is, one of my favorites to read through. I would hate to see it just go by the wayside

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »
I'd love to host another show, but I've just been so damn busy. Looking back, I'm not entirely sure how I even managed to host my last one.

One thing, though... It's been 30 years since The Price is Right Special(s) aired. I've been pondering the idea of hosting a show themed around that -- but again -- too busy. If someone wanted to co-host, however, I might be open to doing it.

As far as this section goes, we had this debate last year around this time. I don't think HYO should die. Not yet, anyway. The pricing game idea is pretty cool, and I think it would definitely spark some activity back into this neat section of the site. "Host your own" doesn't necessarily have to entail hosting an entire show. The section can be reinvented with new ideas such as this one. If that's not enough, then perhaps it's time for HYO to sail off into the sunset, but not before exploring different territory first.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
I'd hate to see HYO go, and even though I'm busy with other things, I still manage to find time to participate in it whenever I can. If I could, I'd like to submit a reworked version of the script to my next show that got rejected, and if offered the chance, I'd love to take over as admin. I would use a combination of the new and old rules, but that's for another thread. If you need someone to blame for holding up the HYO section for as long as it's been, then I'm obviously the scapegoat. Again, I'll have some spare time later on to make a new script so I can get my series (and this section) going again.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:53:47 PM »
First off, I'm not resigning any time soon. I'd like this idea to work out and I think it's the best approach. I am interested in hosting a full length show first, but I can always hold it.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 11:44:20 AM »
Adding my 2 cents here...
Summer is always a bad time to think about HYO, which is why the summer weekly pricing game filled the space. 
It's a shame to see this part of the forum go.  But shows are hard work and if the pipeline of hosts is dry, then so be it.  Hopefully some new blood emerges as we get close to next season.
I would suggest bringing back the weekly game, and have some ideas on a format...
Different host each week, IUFB until Wednesday, then a pricing game.  Maybe have a Google Doc to let folks sign up to host for a week.
Perhaps at the end of each half-season, run a "wheel spin" with the top 3 winners of that part of the season, and have a showcase at the end of the season. 
I'd be happy to get back into the game in this format.  Making a whole show and running it is simply too much.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:55:03 PM »
I had intent it would be different people because I would approve it. As I stated, I'm not going away. I'm offering to do it and I can see the format working.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 07:02:23 PM »
I had intent it would be different people because I would approve it. As I stated, I'm not going away. I'm offering to do it and I can see the format working.

Please don't mis-understand me...not trying to create tension here.
I'm simply saying I'd be interested in getting back to hosting if you went with a weekly format...that's all. 
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
Please don't mis-understand me...not trying to create tension here.
I'm simply saying I'd be interested in getting back to hosting if you went with a weekly format...that's all.

Sorry, I interpreted that as controlling of it. My apologies for my stupidity.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 04:42:45 PM »
So is this section officially closed or is something still In the works for it?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 11:55:53 PM »
So is this section officially closed or is something still In the works for it?

Hold, please.