Author Topic: "Hip Hop Squares" revived by Ice Cube and VH1  (Read 2460 times)

Offline kianworld

• In Contestant's Row
  • More of a lurker now.
"Hip Hop Squares" revived by Ice Cube and VH1
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vh1-ice-cube-team-hip-915108

This renewal essentially doubles the episode count of Hip Hop Squares, with 20 more episodes coming (20 episodes aired on MTV in 2012). Ice Cube is an executive producer for this.

"Hip Hop Squares is going to be fun and spontaneous; unlike typical game shows, viewers should never know what’s going to happen next," Ice Cube said Thursday in a statement. "When VH1 asked us to join the producing team, we jumped aboard as we have had success with VH1, and we love their team, excitement and commitment to the show."

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
Re: "Hip Hop Squares" revived by Ice Cube and VH1
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:32:57 AM »
Huh. Well, Hip Hop Squares was a pretty decent revival of the format (hip-hop celebrities notwithstanding), so I'll be tuning in to see how this does. I kind of wish we'd get a full-scale Hollywood Squares revival sometime, though.

Interesting how the article never mentions the original MTV2 version of Hip Hop Squares.
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
Interesting how the article never mentions the original MTV2 version of Hip Hop Squares.

Because 2012 is ancient history to the millenials that make up their target audience.

FWIW, I do hope they keep the MTV2 version's bonus round...definitely one of the better bonus formats for HS that I've seen, and it should be used in a mainstream Squares revival as well should that ever happen.

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Up for some Bankroll?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:11:29 PM »
FWIW, I do hope they keep the MTV2 version's bonus round...definitely one of the better bonus formats for HS that I've seen, and it should be used in a mainstream Squares revival as well should that ever happen.

I agree, though I do hope they up the prize budget some this time around.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
Because 2012 is ancient history to the millenials that make up their target audience.
[/quote]
While this article from The Hollywood Reporter doesn't, there are plenty of others that do. That said, I do agree with that reasoning. Got to make it look fresh!

What I'm wondering is that with Ice Cube talking on the role of EP, will he be like Whoopi and sit in the center square or will he work behind the scenes getting in some big hip-hop names?
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Up for some Bankroll?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:26 PM »
What I'm wondering is that with Ice Cube talking on the role of EP, will he be like Whoopi and sit in the center square or will he work behind the scenes getting in some big hip-hop names?

Perhaps he'll do both. Didn't Whoopi do something along those lines?

I'm wondering if Peter Rosenberg and DJ Ms. Nix will return.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 08:07:28 PM »
I wonder if Much-MTV-M3 or GameTV will pick it up for Canada....this time around