Author Topic: ABC Renews Game Show Lineup  (Read 6811 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: ABC Renews Game Show Lineup
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »
Considering that this version doesn't have a regular panel, I don't foresee that being an issue.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »
I wonder if Match Game will bring back the Star Wheel...
There's no reason to.
Unless they wish to avoid everyone picking the same celebrity, as happened with Richard Dawson prior to mid-June 1978.
Considering that this version doesn't have a regular panel, I don't foresee that being an issue.
I thought it would be worth noting that a couple of weeks into the run of Match Game and about a month ago, Robert Mills, the ABC executive behind these revivals, posted a Twitter poll asking if the star wheel should be reinstated for this version.

752333221069594624[/tweet]][/url]

"Yes" won the poll, but obviously that wasn't anything official to bring it back. Still, I was very interested that even he was thinking about that.

I don't think it matters either way if you bring it back. Obviously, with a new series, you don't have any set panel or set panelist (even though a few have appeared on multiple weeks). Which means you don't have to worry about one celebrity being chosen more than the others. At the same time, I think it'd be fun to see it back just for the modern look they'd probably give it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:08:28 AM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if, somewhere down the road, WWTBAM returns to its original network lineup, although the idea of million-dollar game shows has apparently died down now, as CBS hasn't aired an MDS in over eight years, and NBC favorite Deal or No Deal is currently off the air.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »
I'd be surprised to see Millionaire back on the network anytime in the foreseeable future.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »
I think the syndicated version would have to become really popular out of nowhere the way Feud did when Steve Harvey took over to make ABC do another primetime version of Millionaire, or there would need to be something like another writer's strike or something happens to one of the current Sunday night games and they decide to give primetime Millionaire another try as a replacement.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 05:33:53 PM »
I'd be surprised to see Millionaire back on the network anytime in the foreseeable future.
What do you mean by the future because I could see it coming back for its 20th anniversary, like it did with its 10th. Regis is still kicking. God willing, if he still has the capacity, pay him a buttload and let the modest ratings come in on what would be an otherwise dead summer.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
I don't. Not only is the format radically different than it was before, it's barely a blip on the radar these days. It's not even close to relevant anymore. The fact that it's been relegated to serving as schedule filler (including early-am slots in several large markets!)  results in people not even realizing it's still on the air.

Case-in-point: of ABC's eight O&Os, only six air the show (it airs in Chicago on an independent station and doesn't even air in Raleigh at all)...and of those six, four of them (including three of the four largest ones) air it after Nightline!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:10:17 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
What do you mean by the future because I could see it coming back for its 20th anniversary, like it did with its 10th. Regis is still kicking. God willing, if he still has the capacity, pay him a buttload and let the modest ratings come in on what would be an otherwise dead summer.

It has nothing to do with ratings or Regis and everything to do with the lawsuit that Celador filed against ABC for misrepresenting the profits they made from the show.  Highly doubtful that that bad blood will ever go away.

Quote from: therealcu2010
I don't. Not only is the format radically different than it was before, it's barely a blip on the radar these days. It's not even close to relevant anymore. The fact that it's been relegated to serving as schedule filler (including early-am slots in several large markets!)  results in people not even realizing it's still on the air.

Which is a real shame, since the show is better than it's been in quite a while--the return of the classic format and Harrison's no-nonsense style have done wonders.  It'll be interesting to see how the move to Vegas for the upcoming season will affect things.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:24:06 PM by SamJ93 »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
Probably not much at all. It may see the light of day again on some of the ABC-owned stations thanks to needing something after Fab Life died. But let's be realistic, if Disney had what it wagered to be a better option ready, they'd have chosen that path.

None of which is to diminish a long run that most shows don't achieve, so props to them for that. But everything comes to an end at some point, and next season is likely that end point.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
According to Randy West's post on Facebook today, next summer could be game show bliss.  With the success of ABC's summer game shows, there's talks that NBC might get in the game next summer to compete.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
I wonder if Nbc is going to revive old game shows or make new formats.

Millionaire would be nice back in primetime if they brought back the original show. The updated British Music and the old cues and sounds. The syndicated Millionaire isn't the same anymore because a lot of things that made Millionaire "Millionaire" is gone. I miss the hot seat and fastest finger. Syndicated Millionaire comes on at 130 in the morning.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »
For me Millionaire airs at 12:30 pm on my ABC stations
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
My affiliate WABC used to air Millionaire at 12:30 p.m. When Chris Harrison became host, they moved it to 1:35 a.m. Seems a lot of affiliates followed suit when that happened. Anybody know how long it's been renewed? I know it's moving to Vegas this coming season so 2017 at least.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 10:17:51 PM »
Episodes of Millionaire aired on the channel WLNY (sister station of CBS) at 4 and 4:30pm this past season for those in the New York tri-state area.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 04:46:33 AM »
My affiliate WABC used to air Millionaire at 12:30 p.m. When Chris Harrison became host, they moved it to 1:35 a.m. Seems a lot of affiliates followed suit when that happened. Anybody know how long it's been renewed? I know it's moving to Vegas this coming season so 2017 at least.
One season renewal.