Author Topic: $1 Showcase bid strategy backfiring  (Read 3183 times)

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
$1 Showcase bid strategy backfiring
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:23:13 AM »
How often does the strategy of a contestant bidding $1 on his/her Showcase -- because (s)he assumes that the opponent has overbid -- backfire?

I personally don't recall seeing it happen except for one time, as shown in the video linked below (which I just stumbled upon in my VHS collection).  It wasn't a $1 bid but it was still low enough to imply the same strategy...

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: $1 Showcase bid strategy backfiring
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 05:45:42 AM »
I've seen it happen once. Between 1977-79, a contestant bid $1 when she believed the other went over. One of the items up for bids was Star Wars figures, and was a Star Wars themed showcase.

The contestant not only DID NOT go over, she won BOTH SHOWCASES.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:51:43 AM by whewfan »

Offline whewfan

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:24:59 AM »
I'll also say, regarding the clip I posted, the sound effects person went WAY overboard with the double showcase win bells and whoops.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:15:02 AM »
I'll also say, regarding the clip I posted, the sound effects person went WAY overboard with the double showcase win bells and whoops.
  I love the DSW clanging bell and whoops sound - can never go overboard with that - one of the best parts of the show back in the day - it was like the fire alarm in the studio went off when someone won big!

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
I can't believe that the strategy resulting in a DSW happening not once, but twice! (1977-79 as mentioned and also 1982 as mentioned in the clip.

And I am in total agreement about the DSW sound effects - I can never get enough of that!

Also, per Zach Horan's comments on the video - this may have actually been an episode from Season 17 (since reruns from the previous season were common around Season 18.)

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »
Also, per Zach Horan's comments on the video - this may have actually been an episode from Season 17 (since reruns from the previous season were common around Season 18.)

Meant to say that reruns from the previous season were common during the holidays (not just in Season 18, but in general in this era and many years after.)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »
  I love the DSW clanging bell and whoops sound - can never go overboard with that - one of the best parts of the show back in the day - it was like the fire alarm in the studio went off when someone won big!

What amused me was the cyc going crazy during the credits.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
And another thing, the close-up of the podium readout flashing the winner's total (in lieu of a chyron or other on-screen display), was that a common thing back then?

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »
And another thing, the close-up of the podium readout flashing the winner's total (in lieu of a chyron or other on-screen display), was that a common thing back then?

Even though I'm not certain, I believe it's true that they'd show the podium readout flashing the winner's total was a common thing to do back then. Someone back me up on this.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »
Even though I'm not certain, I believe it's true that they'd show the podium readout flashing the winner's total was a common thing to do back then. Someone back me up on this.

I distinctly remember it being done in the early to mid 80's or so, before the podium redesign.

Offline Sizeman

• Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 12:03:52 AM »

I distinctly remember it being done in the early to mid 80's or so, before the podium redesign.

Wasn't it a Breslow direction decision?