Author Topic: 7615K - 9/23/16 Recap  (Read 16403 times)

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
7615K - 9/23/16 Recap
« on: September 23, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »
Recap: https://goo.gl/r6HGFI

Quick Take
Lucky Seven - Loss
Bargain Game - Win
Hot Seat - Win
Most Expensive - Loss
Pick A Pair - Win
Money Game - Win

TODAY       YEAR
 On Offer:  $131,952   $889,334.21+
Total Won:   110,953    446,913.21+
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:00:51 PM by jaydlewis »

Offline hmtriplecrown

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: #7615K TPiR Recap - 9/23/16
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 01:37:48 PM »
The best part of Hot Seat didn't even make it to TV.  Kimberly ran off the stage, to her 90-year-old grandmother, and the two of them were celebrating and crying for a good 90 seconds to two minutes.  Naturally, the entire celebration wouldn't make it to air, but not even the running down and 5 seconds of hugging?  That was good television left on the cutting room floor.

Hot Seat ran much more quickly than I anticipated, though it still ran for 7+ minutes.

Any other questions about today's show?  I'll try my best to answer them.  (And that was me next to Patricia, the last contestant to COD, in all my Rat Race t-shirt glory.)

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 02:49:25 PM »
Good show today.
Nice Exacta in Money Game.
Another Classic Cue shows up during the 45th video.
I would of thought they would show Rachel's 1st Lucky Seven Car Crash ( even thought we didn't see the actual crash ) , instead of the April Fool's Day Crash.
Hot Seat looks like fun.

I'm wondering if Kim's Celebration happen after they went to commercial.
At the worst , they could have shown part of it before they started the 1st SCSD.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:52:39 PM by TinoStar11 »

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »
On one hand, I think Hot Seat has a touch too much pagentry to it. The moving seat, the thermometer and the set are a bit too much for my tastes. It goes from nice flavor to being distracting.

On the other, I absolutely love the game play. The mind games that can be played with it are great, making you decide if you trust that choice as well as the ones ahead. Do you think you have ones ahead right? Or does one you're not sure about coming up early make you reconsider the entire thing? I knew the burrito maker was right since I bought one not long ago, so I had a lot of fun playing along and knowing that.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »
I like Hot Seat but I was a little underwhelmed by it. It's a higher/lower game with flare. I liked the introduction and set although I thought it would've been a little bigger, but I loved the hot and cold color scheme though. I was surprised the sound machine wasn't the last revealed since that was the trickiest prize. Very disappointing to hear that celebration was completely cut out hm, that definitely was great television they didn't use.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »
Welp, I'll be the first to step into the "Get off my lawn" position and say I'm not a huge fan of Hot Seat. As others have said, it's too overdone (as is the trend these days), so much so that it feels like someone said "Hey, we should make a game where the contestant slides around in a chair" and the game mechanic was tacked on later.

The intro music is either A: too quiet, or B: too generic, or perhaps both. The fact that they played it again for a win ala Phone Home Game was a nice touch, but get a better cue or amp up the volume. I do love the $20,000 graphic, however.

The set itself, gaudy as it may be, looks pretty slick with the exception of the "thermometer" prop. It looks awfully diminutive hanging from the ceiling and the text is puny. I think it would look better if the whole thing was larger and positioned to the right of the set, on the floor. Did we blow all the money on the sliding chair? Also the designer in me is crying, "why is the $20,000 window the same size as the $500 one?"

On the subject of the thermometer, there's the money ladder itself. I hate threads that devolve into "Here's my money distribution", but I'll be a hypocrite and say I'd rather see something like $500-$1,000-$2,500-$5,000-$20,000 before the layout they currently have. If I was sitting in that chair, I'd be really reluctant to bet $10,000.

The chair itself is very well done and representative of the term "Hot Seat". My biggest gripe is it moves too slowly. I get that we can't be launching Grandma Agatha onto the set of Y&R, but if we could shorten that 35 second clock to perhaps 30 and really zip that dude along, I'd feel a much stronger sense of urgency. The clock almost seemed unnecessary today. What makes Race Game and Bonkers exciting is the contestant running around the stage like crazy. Seeing the contestant gliding along in an Acorn Stairlift isn't as electrifying.

The sound effects could be better executed. Four bells is what you play for a $4,000 win on Bag or for pricing the first prize correctly in Golden Road, not for a $10,000 level. The dramatic stings for the money levels don't make the mood any more tense for me. And no clangers for a win? Come now.

One thing that was pleasantly refreshing: Trilons! Real, electric, functional trilons instead of monitors to show the prices. That's a nice touch.

Overall, with the music, the added sound effects, and general garishness of the proceedings, it feels like a game better suited for Let's Make a Deal than Price. I give it a C+.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:12:34 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 04:10:12 PM »
I'm rather mixed on Hot Seat. The sound effects, music cues, and the huge set are fun, and the hot/cold buttons add some window dressing to an otherwise simple higher/lower pricing game. The main complaint I have: I really don't get the point of the time limit. 35 seconds is way too long - if a time limit is needed, I'd put it at 20 seconds (and I would also speed up the chair a bit). The reveal feels way too over-the-top for a game that just offers $20,000, not to mention that (assuming that all future playings of Hot Seat will be this long) with its 7+ minute length, this game is going to be a huge lineup killer.

I still have to give props to Kimberly for playing it so well - I don't get why they couldn't at least briefly show her hugging her grandma, instead of still leaving in the Emmy gag. I hope the show will upload a clip of it, as they've done in the past with other behind-the-scenes moments.
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline hmtriplecrown

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
Now that I am watching it from home, a lot was cut out of Pick-a-Pair.  James did a fake proposal to contestant Adam's sister Natalie which was quite funny.  The two best extra bits in the show didn't make it.

Overall, it was the best of the 6 shows I have seen in-person, in part because it was my birthday present to my dad, who has been a fan of the show for years, even more so now that he is retired.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 07:34:59 PM »
Playing a fanfare upon the win, then jumping into the theme song, felt strange. I don't think that's ever been done before; am I right?

My largest concern with Hot Seat is the same one that I have with Time Is Money -- the contestant can't see what they're bidding on because they're positioned behind it. It's not that big of a deal with, say, a hair dryer, but I'm guessing the back side of that sound machine, which is all the contestant could ever see, doesn't really convey much information.

One thing that was pleasantly refreshing: Trilons! Real, electric, functional trilons instead of monitors to show the prices. That's a nice touch.

Agreed. The gradient lighting effects were all right, but the actual, physical graphics combined with the solid-color lights in the prize stands were my favorite part of the presentation.

Speaking of prizes, do we know how the small prizes are won? Do you win anything you price correctly? Do you only win a prize if you successfully keep the corresponding dollar value? I know it's small potatoes compared to the money on offer, but I'm curious.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »
Playing a fanfare upon the win, then jumping into the theme song, felt strange. I don't think that's ever been done before; am I right?

Like I said, the closest to my knowledge is the Phone Home Game intro cue played for a $10,000 win, followed by the main theme.

My largest concern with Hot Seat is the same one that I have with Time Is Money -- the contestant can't see what they're bidding on because they're positioned behind it. It's not that big of a deal with, say, a hair dryer, but I'm guessing the back side of that sound machine, which is all the contestant could ever see, doesn't really convey much information.

An easy fix for this would be to have Drew and contestant stand in front of the game prior to the prize descriptions, then have the contestant hop into the Hot Seat after George is done with the copy.

On further review, the presentation would be better if it was explained better by the host, but as per usual the Drew treatment isn't always as clear as it could be.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:14:23 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:27:07 PM »
Ok, let's talk about Hot Seat...
I really do love the trillions, but it's a weird love. There is so much busy-ness to this game going on that I wonder why they decided upon them. This is a game which actually begs for a moving display, which brings me to...
..the actual seat. It seems the contestant has a display in front of them on the seat to help them with decisions. This may help with Scott's concerns, but who knows what they see and what they are looking at. A game where the contestant is separated from the audience isn't healthy.
It's an interesting format...and I like the game concept. So what bugs me about this game?
When in doubt, think about Roger... My feel here is that this isn't truly an audience participation game. We slide along a chair making quick decisions, then we decide. The best games invite a group decision, and isn't this where the last 2 cash games ( hot seat and. time Is Money) fall short? It's not a bad game, it's just not a Price game.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 11:01:35 PM »
I agree with those saying that Hot Seat should be timed for 30 seconds or even less. 35 seconds felt much too long and provided very little drama. It's also pretty weird that a contestant actually gets to sit down to play a game.

My feel here is that this isn't truly an audience participation game. We slide along a chair making quick decisions, then we decide. The best games invite a group decision, and isn't this where the last 2 cash games ( hot seat and. time Is Money) fall short? It's not a bad game, it's just not a Price game.
What about Clock Game, one of the show's true tests of pricing and a game loved by just about everyone who's a fan of the show? It does not allow any kind of audience participation.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »
Hot Seat would run whether or not the contestant sits in the chair, and tapping a button - an act barely noticeable to the TV audience, I might add - constitutes the entirety of a player's actions? This plays more like a carnival ride than playing an actual game.

I can't help but wonder what happens if someone gets motion sickness riding the seat. Will this game count as one with "physical limitations" that will prevent particularly large players from being called on down until it has been played? (I also assume it will not be played first or second.)

I have no problem with the 35 second limit yet. We had a really good contestant for this first playing, so let's wait and see how some, erm, more critically-thinking challenged contestants fare.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
Not that we see Bonus Game more than every other month these days as it is...but the fact that Hot Seat combines the "higher/lower" SP pricing concept with the randomness of the game's outcome means we may see Bonus no more than 3-4 times this season.  :-(

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 06:07:18 AM »
I think Hot Seat is a pretty solid game. The time limit is fine considering there may be some older contestants that end up playing the game. I agree that the intro is a bit too much for $20,000 but some of that may be simply due to the intro being done on the big display instead of having a simple on screen graphic and/or sign.

The game is pretty much a straightforward high/low game. I think what would be better is if the buttons had the words "higher" in a flame-like font and "lower" in an icicle-like font; Easier for the audience to follow instead of the buttons just being red and blue.

Decent game that could use some tweaks here and there. The best new game from the Drew Carey era though is still Rat Race in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:10:29 AM by BD »