Author Topic: 7615K - 9/23/16 Recap  (Read 16419 times)

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
Re: #7615K TPiR Recap - 9/23/16
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »
Hot seat is the first new game/game redo that I have been disappointed with.

The fact that the game is unique by having the contestant ride it is what bothers me the most.  I agree, it feels like a carnival ride.  But more importantly, in an age where the contestants are often over-the-top with energy, are urged to run to their prizes, and are asked to do retakes of their reactions, the show has introduced a game which prevents the contestant from being energetic.  The contestant is required to sit down.  I'm siting at home watching a person sit down and ride a chair back and forth.  Not exactly exciting even with a clock built in.  And this factor just makes the game seem out of place on the show.  They could have designed this game with the original carnival wheel setup of Pick-a-pair and thrown in a clock, and I think that I would have been a lot happier.

The game also seems like a "cheaper" version of It's In the Bag.  Pricing 5 items in a row.  Except it's easier that IITB, because you have to guess only T/F instead of placing the items correctly.  But although you have easier decisions to make, the top prize is bigger that IITB. 

Hot seat also has one less T/F prize than Punch-a-Bunch, but with significantly better odds of winning the top prize, but the top prize is only $5,000 less than Punch.  So it seems more obvious to me now that the top prizes for the cash games don't seem properly aligned anymore with the difficulty level of the game, when comparing the games to each other.  Of course, that happens with other types of games too, with some car games being easier than others for example, but the show does differentiate between car games for typical cars and more expensive ones.

I liked the trilons.  The rest of the set was okay, but I'm just not feeling it.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 09:31:29 AM »

I can't help but wonder what happens if someone gets motion sickness riding the seat. Will this game count as one with "physical limitations" that will prevent particularly large players from being called on down until it has been played? (I also assume it will not be played first or second.)

I'm sorry, but this isn't a Tilt-A-Whirl they are seated in.  It isn't like it moves frantically back and forth.  I suspect most people would have experienced way worse on the drive over to Television City...

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
What about Clock Game, one of the show's true tests of pricing and a game loved by just about everyone who's a fan of the show? It does not allow any kind of audience participation.

Good answer.  I have nothing...  :boo:
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »
I enjoyed the game and look forward to further playings as they refine it. I believe it's one of the few games that does not require/use a model at all in either the prize reveal or the game itself??
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:06:16 AM by brosa0 »

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
I enjoyed the game and look forward to further playings as they refine it. I believe it's one of the few games that does not require/use a model at all in either the prize reveal or the game itself??
tremendous catch!  The other is Grand Game.

My thoughts?  Dislike - too much chrome.  Could have been done easily with a contestant behind a podium calling higher/lower like the Card Sharks money cards.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
I'd like to see what the contestant can see from the chair.      Is there a small TV monitor in there where they can see the prize?   What about the price?   Are they forced to just hear it from Drew?   Not only from when they have to push the buttons but also when the reveal is done.

Here's one... is there "Higher" "lower"  printed on the red and blue buttons.    What if they has a severely color blind contestant ?

35 seconds seems like an odd amount of time.   Wonder why it isn't 30??

I'll reserve my opinion of the game until I see a few more playings.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
Apologies for the size of these images but they make it fairly clear that "Higher" and "Lower" are printed in front of the corresponding buttons.  The angle of that additional bit between the buttons and the contestant looks like it would be for a screen.   Also, the podium with the sound machine on it already looks a little banged up.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:34:52 AM by brosa0 »

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »
I have a feeling Hot Seat is going to need a redesign along the lines of when Pick-A-Pair finally got rid of its Ferris wheel.  The whole "move the seat to the item" routine is just asking for a malfunction, especially in the initial 35-second period.  Keep the chair; just don't move it around.

Offline tpiroldschoolfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 01:49:51 AM »
"It's not a bad game, it's just not a Price game."

Bingo! It's set and electronics are way over the top for TPIR, and the gameplay is overly complicated for what is basically a higher/lower game. It seems that somebody liked the idea of a moving chair, and they built a game around it.

That said, there are two nods to the past. The yellow and black scheme of the labels is a nod to the Bonus Game, and the rotating red trilons revealing the price is a nod to Barker's Bargain Bar.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 02:44:31 AM »
and the rotating red trilons revealing the price is a nod to Barker's Bargain Bar.

No, the rotating red trilons are a nod to "higher" being the right answer.  They're blue if it's lower.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »
I just watched "Hot Seat" again on YouTube.  I think the game will grow on me.   It's a little Let's Make a Deal-ish; nothing against LMAD, but this is TPIR.  Also the chair shape and colors are too similar to the chairs used on The Voice.  I think over time they will lose the clock and make a few other tweaks.  They will also make it much harder and trickier to win the $20,000; meaning a lot of folks will go for the big prize and lose $10,000, which in and of itself is a pretty big prize. We also didn't need another Higher/Lower game. Let's see what transpires in the weeks to come.

Offline tpiroldschoolfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »
No, the rotating red trilons are a nod to "higher" being the right answer.  They're blue if it's lower.

But correct me if I'm wrong, the effect (appearance) is the same as on Barker's Bargain Bar? I can't think of any other Price game that has that feature.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
But correct me if I'm wrong, the effect (appearance) is the same as on Barker's Bargain Bar? I can't think of any other Price game that has that feature.
Super Saver immediately came to mind.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
I do not understand the clock. The timing element doesn't really work well with a self-moving chair, largely being limited by the speed of the chair. Also, what happens if a contestant doesn't finish? That's going to make the game a lot more anti-climactic, but since the tension the clock adds isn't very good, it's worse than useless. I just don't see what's gained by the clock.

The gameplay itself feels like It's in the Bag meets Bonus/Shell Game, but not quite as good as any of those. Might change my mind, but it didn't really leave a great first impression.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:47 PM »
The point of the clock is to prevent the contestants from taking 30 seconds on each decision, consulting the audience etc etc and making what is already a long game unacceptably long.  It'll be interesting to see how strict they'll be but I wonder if it will be like Switcheroo.  It wouldn't be much of a 'hot seat' if they took a while for each decision.   

I think the 35 seconds gives the contestant enough time to consult the audience a little bit on at least one or two of the items that they might not be sure of, but this first contestant was very decisive.  If there is a screen there for the contestant to look at, then I wonder if this takes the audience out of it anyway because most contestants would just look at the screen and hit one of the buttons instinctively.