Author Topic: 7641K - 10/10/16 Recap - CBS Daytime 30yrs at #1  (Read 6278 times)

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
7641K - 10/10/16 Recap - CBS Daytime 30yrs at #1
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
Recap: https://goo.gl/8djVPG

Quick Take
Plinko - $30,500*
Lucky Seven - Win
Side By Side - Win
Grocery Game - Win
Range Game - Win
One Away - Loss

*The centre slot was raised to $30,000

TODAY        YEAR
 On Offer:  $315,212   $2,759,531.52+
Total Won:   132,893    1,251,859.21+

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: 7641K - 10/10/16 Recap - CBS Daytime 30yrs at #1
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
Interesting to note, that since this is the 2nd episode so far with Grocery with it's new $2 range ($20-$22), both times they also had an item that falls in that range.

I don't remember that always happening with the old $1 range, but not really sure if it's just that there are more items available that cost between $0-$2 than there were between $0-$1, or if they are intentionally putting that item in there to make the game a bit easier as well, in addition to the larger range to work with?

(And of course it did in this case, after the 1st choice being so close to the $20 point).

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »
I think it's just that there are more items that cost between $1 and $2 than there are that cost between $0 and $1. Usually the only games we see sub $1 items regularly in are Golden Road, It's in the Bag, and Pay the Rent. Also, it seems like they put more emphasis on having the items match the theme of the playing than they do on prices. Today's playing looked like the items would have more of a variety in prices, but there's playings that most of them are around the same price.

Oh no, the Shoecase now as a pricing game prize!

I found it annoying that there was so much time between the "Ladies do I have at least this number right" and the honk today in One Away. I wonder if that was intentional or was it an editing or timing thing?

I wonder if there was any thought of having Bob make a guest appearance today.

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
While there were some funny moments (Sharon Osbourne randomly showing up in Range Game, for example), I just really wasn't a fan of this special. Besides it seeming like just another special for the sake of specials, everything was too overly edited (most noticeably during the small prize reveals in Plinko, and I noticed some editing during Grocery Game as well), and while some of the guests hosted well (such as Peter Bergman in Lucky $even), others were annoying (such as Tiffany Coyne replacing the Mighty Sound Effects Lady).

Other than a standard One Away setup (which wasn't really played that well anyways), every game today had a laughably easy setup. Especially Lucky $even - I legitimately couldn't believe that price when I saw it. Unfortunately, we're probably heading into budget mode soon.

Wonderful...the 52 pairs of shoes have returned. How ironic that they were calling down mostly females up to that point - and the one male in Contestant's Row (at that point) is the one that ends up playing Grocery Game for the shoes.

I found it annoying that there was so much time between the "Ladies do I have at least this number right" and the honk today in One Away. I wonder if that was intentional or was it an editing or timing thing?
I agree with this...they really couldn't have edited some of that out instead of editing Plinko to death?
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:34:07 PM »
Interesting to note, that since this is the 2nd episode so far with Grocery with it's new $2 range ($20-$22), both times they also had an item that falls in that range.

I don't remember that always happening with the old $1 range, but not really sure if it's just that there are more items available that cost between $0-$2 than there were between $0-$1, or if they are intentionally putting that item in there to make the game a bit easier as well, in addition to the larger range to work with?
I am pretty sure there were Grocery Game playings with the $1 range where none of the items were less than $1.

I have a feeling having an item less than $2 with the $2 range is intentional, to make it harder to get to a point where you can't possibly win.  How long did it take before there were no 25 cent or less items in the old $6.75-7.00 version?

As for today's gimmick, I was a little surprised that only shows currently on the air were mentioned - but then again, there haven't been that many other ones on CBS in the past 30 years; only three soaps (Capitol, which ended in 1987, and the two long-running ones, The Guiding Light and As the World Turns), and a handful of game shows (The (New) $25,000 Pyramid, Card Sharks, Family Feud, Now You See It, Blackout, and Wheel of Fortune, plus possibly the end of the runs of Press Your Luck and Body Language), and even at that, only GL and ATWT were on after 1993.

Offline pricegator

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »
I also thought it was funny how Drew commented about the easy setup of Lucky 7...I wonder if he is allowed to do that

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »
I am pretty sure there were Grocery Game playings with the $1 range where none of the items were less than $1.

Episode 7461K* on March 21st is the most recent I can verify with that setup.

*Means nothing, but I find the 7461/7641 "spoonerism" kind of funny.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 10:46:25 PM »
I also thought it was funny how Drew commented about the easy setup of Lucky 7...I wonder if he is allowed to do that

I'm presuming that since we saw it, yes, he is.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »
Congratulations to Marnyce on becoming the biggest Plinko winner in daytime history.  She broke the previous record of $30,100 which was on Christmas Day 2007.  I'm surprised it took nearly 9 years to break it

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 01:25:02 AM »
Besides it seeming like just another special for the sake of specials...
I'd disagree here. This is something that is definitely CBS wide. So while I do grow tired of the specials sometimes, this was probably one that CBS asked Price to do, not the other way around. Especially since there are crossovers on all of CBS' daytime program this week and the exhibit at the LA Paley Center.

"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 06:15:35 AM »
Congratulations to Marnyce on becoming the biggest Plinko winner in daytime history.  She broke the previous record of $30,100 which was on Christmas Day 2007.  I'm surprised it took nearly 9 years to break it

Eh...not saying I'm not happy for her big win, but when you have the handicap that she did (the center slot being three times its normal value) it isn't really all that impressive. It's kinda like winning a 100-meter dash against Usain Bolt because you were given a 99-meter head start.  :-D

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »
Eh...not saying I'm not happy for her big win, but when you have the handicap that she did (the center slot being three times its normal value) it isn't really all that impressive. It's kinda like winning a 100-meter dash against Usain Bolt because you were given a 99-meter head start.  :-D
Psh, who needs context when people can barely wrap their heads around numbers?
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.