Author Topic: 7652K - 10/18/16 Recap  (Read 9082 times)

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: 7652K - 10/18/16 Recap
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »
My mistake.  I did not see the episode, I was going strictly by anecdotal evidence from this thread.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »
Somehow I doubt this is true... felt like it would have gotten more buzz

Here's a picture to prove that was really him.

Either the show didn't realized he was his father , or they couldn't say it was his father on air.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »
With regard to criticism about Drew not offering the player to bail out with 3 right, is it because Drew and/or the powers that be are unaware of that rule?  Is it that the rule has changed whereby if you have anything less than 5, you have to make changes, like with Race Game?  Could it be they purposely do not tell the contestant they have the option to stop due to budgetary reasons/concerns?

1. We have to assume that the producers of the show know what the rules are.
2. I don't know. (Has anyone ever tried to stand with less than four right in Race Game?)
3. It would be a violation of S&P to deliberately explain the rules incorrectly or inadequately in a way that disadvantages the contestant.

Which leads to conclusion 4:

It's been almost ten years, and the host still doesn't know what he's doing.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »
1. We have to assume that the producers of the show know what the rules are.

You would think so, but when the primary production staff jointly couldn't figure out why a contestant is offered the option of changing digits in Temptation, I'm not exactly filled with confidence about that.

It's been almost ten years, and the host still doesn't know what he's doing.

Be that as it may, it's likely because he's not being told to host it properly by the producers, so I can't fault him for it.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 01:15:22 AM »
You would think so, but when the primary production staff jointly couldn't figure out why a contestant is offered the option of changing digits in Temptation, I'm not exactly filled with confidence about that.

I must have missed this.  What are you talking about here?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 01:48:33 AM »
Ya know, I haven't really seen Drew's conducting of Switcheroo as an issue prior to today's show. Annoying? Yes. Anything but smooth? Definitely. But the guy had 3 friggin' prices right. Had Drew stopped there, not put any more time on the clock, and asked the guy if he wanted to make changes or not, I guarantee he'd have left it alone, and it wouldn't have ended as horribly, and awkwardly I might add, as it did.

Someone please get Drew to host this game properly.

Totally agree, that playing was completely inexcusable, both for the contestant and Drew.  Drew's explanation of the game continues to be mystifyingly awful

I have to agree with both of you to some degree. Drew is in his tenth year of hosting, and his explanation of the rules of Switcheroo is still poor. He still doesn't even use the word "price" in his explanation. He could just say something like "Complete the price correctly to win the prize". And I agree that he should have asked (as Bob did) if the contestant wished to make any changes before putting 30 more seconds on the clock. 

I don't regularly comment in these recap threads anymore but after noticing this trend somehow still resounds I feel the need to point out exactly what Drew said during Switcheroo.

"I'm going to put another 30 seconds on the clock... now if you want to, you can change any number you want. If you don't want to change anything because you think you got the car, just tell me that you don't want to change anything and we don't have to play the next 30 seconds."

So the argument I'm seeing is that by Drew putting the 30 seconds on the clock he is forcing the contestant to change numbers? I don't really understand how anyone can bash Drew for this among all reasons because he flat out said if you don't want to change anything just say so! Is it that big of a psychological difference between him putting 30 seconds on the clock there vs. waiting some extra seconds?

Let's just completely put aside the fact that the contestant had 3 correct and yet still changed 3 blocks anyways.

The only reason this is being brought up is because by happenstance he had the car block correct on his first try and everyone is being results oriented because of that. If he didn't have the car correct and he changed it and won because of it then what would everyone say?

Also it's pretty absurd to "guarantee" what someone would have done in a hypothetical situation, especially since this one was not too far from what actually happened.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 08:20:45 AM »
I agree with Vader, I find it funny that everyone is dumping on Drew for Switcheroo when I thought that we had come to the conclusion that they decided to just stop offering the bailout fully.

Why? I don't know, but this show painted Squeeze Play its original color and played it in its original staging, used the disco ball intro for Plinko once, and brought back a game that only lasted one season in its original run. The notion that they or Drew have no idea what they're doing at this point is absurd. They know exactly what they're doing and they're not explicitly offering a bailout. Drew honestly did just as much during this show, however.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
I don't regularly comment in these recap threads anymore but after noticing this trend somehow still resounds I feel the need to point out exactly what Drew said during Switcheroo.

"I'm going to put another 30 seconds on the clock... now if you want to, you can change any number you want. If you don't want to change anything because you think you got the car, just tell me that you don't want to change anything and we don't have to play the next 30 seconds."

You should really know better than the combat a Golden-Road argument with petty things like facts.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
I agree with Vader (and JJ) by and large, because this really isn't that hard, given what Drew said, or whatever way you want to parse it. I only disagree to the most nitpicky degree with your statements, in that Drew put the time back on the clock before offering the bailout, but that's more psychological semantics, rather than hosting. The fact the contestant went on at that point, as is his right to do so, is entirely on the contestant himself, not Drew. The hosting itself was absolutely fine, and I'd like to see Drew host Switcheroo this way again the next time it is played.

Seriously, Drew actually hosts the game correctly, bailout explained, and this is the response? We can and will do better than this.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
I must have missed this.  What are you talking about here?

Back in May 2015 they posted a full "multi-cam experience" episode to CBS.com for Socially Awesome Week with Mike, Evelyn, and Adam providing commentary throughout. During Temptation they were racking their brains wondering why the contestant is offered the choice of making changes, and IIRC never came up with a reason before moving on.

Thanks for this. Not the most eloquently handled by the emcee, but I obviously misheard this explanation. Mea culpa.

Offline Turbo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 06:10:08 PM »
So, to clarify, what is the reason the contestant is offered the chance to switch digits in Temptation? 
PriceFanArmadillo: "When Voltron's in the audience, there are 1,153,908 reasons to listen."

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 07:24:25 PM »
I would imagine it is because a price can "look" wrong once it is completed, and the contestant only sees all available digits once the last prize's price is shown.   

This is particularly the case if the contestant wants to choose a number that they've already chosen for an earlier digit, as there are not usually repeat digits in the price.  E.g. if the contestant chose a 5 for the second number, and then the last number was a choice between 9 and 5,  they might want to choose 5 for the last number and then change that second number.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 02:48:23 AM »
Back in May 2015 they posted a full "multi-cam experience" episode to CBS.com for Socially Awesome Week with Mike, Evelyn, and Adam providing commentary throughout. During Temptation they were racking their brains wondering why the contestant is offered the choice of making changes, and IIRC never came up with a reason before moving on.

Oh, no wonder -- I never did get around to watching that thing.

Still, though, they couldn't figure out why a contestant might want to change their guesses after seeing the choices for all the numbers?  Temptation is one of the hardest games on the show with that rule in place; determining why it's there should be considerably less difficult.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.