Author Topic: The Very Top Number in Cover Up  (Read 3264 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
The Very Top Number in Cover Up
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:10:19 PM »
In Cover Up, has the number at the very top of the board in the fifth position ever been the correct number?

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Very Top Number in Cover Up
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
Yes; most recently on 1/17/2014.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »
This reminds me of a fond conversation in the studio one day where I pointed out that the top number in Cover Up was actually too high for many contestants to reach (I am 6').  Roger agreed, and there was an unwritten rule from that point on that it would never be used as the correct number, so that it would not feel like an unfair advantage or a "cheat" to a contestant.

John

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:22:03 AM »
That's interesting. Looking at pictures of the game it doesn't look like the top number at the end would be too high for most people to reach. Did they try to remove a portion of the bottom of the set to make it less tall?

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 02:08:30 AM »
It may be slightly difficult to see in that photo, but my hand is pointing to the top number.  It actually is a bit higher than it looks, although it is certainly reachable for someone as tall as me.
John

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »
I'm 5'3 so I definitely wouldn't be able to reach it! :lol:

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »
It may be slightly difficult to see in that photo, but my hand is pointing to the top number.  It actually is a bit higher than it looks, although it is certainly reachable for someone as tall as me.

In all fairness, you and Roger are standing about 10 inches below the turntable floor in that picture. If I remember correctly, the top number is still relatively out of reach if the contestant is closer to five feet tall, but it isn't quite as high up as it looks from backstage.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:35:44 PM »
Seeing all this has me wondering, has there ever been a case where a contestant was too short to reach a high number, and had to ask Bob/Drew to get it for them?