Author Topic: 7663K - 10/26/16 Recap - Big Money Week Day 3  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: 7663K - 10/26/16 Recap - Big Money Week Day 3
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »
Speaking of Hole in One, did anyone notice that the $500 flag wasn't there until after the grocery plugs?

Yes. The flag also blocked the motion of the windmill, so they probably re-taped the introduction to make the windmill look better.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
I absolutely despised the Windmill.  Poor Mr. Goodson must be rolling in his grave.  This is not Beat the Clock.  Hey why not just blindfold the contestant and offer $1,000,000 in Hole in One?  Ridiculous.  Imagine if he got up to the line nearest to the hole, choked and missed due to the windmill?  How does that make the show look?  I know they have to make winning the big dough more difficult but when they come across as overtly trying to disadvantage the contestant, they are walking away from why 'Price' has been such a beloved show for 45 seasons.  #epicfail
First off, stop with the rolling in the grave stuff. It was old eight years ago when Mike took over. At least it made a little sense then.

Second, Hole in One is miniature golf. This fit perfectly with the theme of the game.

Third, was Mark Goodson rolling in his bed when he added all the games and rules to The Price is Right back in the early 70s? People seem to forget that Mark Goodson changed his hit product for a new age and that he changed it drastically. I also don't think Mark was rolling on the floor when he added that gaudy rainbow wheel with the experimental hour longs.

It's funny how easy we can throw around hyperbole when you're wearing horse-blinders to history.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 09:22:54 PM »
First off, stop with the rolling in the grave stuff. It was old eight years ago when Mike took over.

No, it wasn't.  Get the hell over yourself.

I don't agree with everything JT said, either, but if you're going to argue with him -- a person who I can assure you knows more about The Price Is Right than you do -- have a little tact about it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »
No, it wasn't.  Get the hell over yourself.
Oh, it wasn't? Well it is now.

I don't agree with everything JT said, either, but if you're going to argue with him -- a person who I can assure you knows more about The Price Is Right than you do -- have a little tact about it.
I don't have to know anymore about the Price is Right than him to know that Mark Goodson was a businessman who constantly tinkered around with his own formats, adding and discarding elements as he saw fit. He was pretty damn good at it too. He's not going to roll around in his grave, let alone his bed, because they added a thematically proper element to one game out of 70-something for one playing.

Maybe I'd use a little tact if we'd avoid the kind of language that allows the negative stereotype of this website to persist. I have no problem with criticism. I have been an ardent supporter of people's right to criticize, but I think we could agree there's a limit. I hate the use of that phrase. It has almost no practical use, definitely not there.

Sorry if I came off as harsh in that post and the other in Friday's recap.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 02:36:12 AM »
I don't have to know anymore about the Price is Right than him to know that Mark Goodson was a businessman who constantly tinkered around with his own formats, adding and discarding elements as he saw fit. He was pretty damn good at it too. He's not going to roll around in his grave, let alone his bed, because they added a thematically proper element to one game out of 70-something for one playing.

And I reiterate:  Based on what I know of him, I feel pretty safe saying that JT is in a much better position than you are to guess at what Mark Goodson would have thought of something.  The fact that you disagree doesn't give you free reign to be a jerk about it.

Maybe I'd use a little tact if we'd avoid the kind of language that allows the negative stereotype of this website to persist. I have no problem with criticism. I have been an ardent supporter of people's right to criticize, but I think we could agree there's a limit. I hate the use of that phrase. It has almost no practical use, definitely not there.

I agree that some people here need to calm the hell down about the way the show is being run now (and honestly, it's being run much better than it was five years ago), but there are also people whose assessments, for various reasons, I'm more likely to consider as logical even if I don't entirely agree with them.  JT definitely falls into the latter category.

I know I'm coming off as harsh here, but damn if you didn't hit a nerve.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2023, 06:30:25 PM »
Just letting everyone know, with the recap links here dead, I have finally added a new recap.

I do still want to figure out the CSS format. But I am somewhat pleased with the treatment I gave Double Cross. We'll see how many recaps I can add before I figure out the other recap.

Even if I do figure it out, I want to keep this one as it is for posterity.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."