Author Topic: Game$how Marathon -- Night 1: TPiR (Updated w/Recap)  (Read 66222 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Game Show Marathon -- Night 1 -- TPiR
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 11:25:50 PM »

shellgame69 wrote:
Only one put in hole in one.

As an earlier poster reported, they actually did have the "or two" portion, but they edited it out.

Who knows why... certainly "normal" loyal friends and true of the show ("normal" being someone who watches the show regularly, but isn't familiar with this website) know all about the "or two," and they would have wondered what happened as well.

If Najimi had gotten the hole in one on the second shot, would they have shown it as two shots, or do you think they would have edited it to make it seem as though she got it on her first try?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline JasonA1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 11:29:35 PM »
I'm not going to run their job on TPIR up and down because frankly there was a lot more retro and good and accurate about it than I thought there would be going in.

That said, and I'm repeating myself on Invision here but - if this edition has anything to say for the series, than call me nonplussed. The atmosphere was awful, editing was bordering on  making me seasick, etc. I'm hoping that the simpler shows will not demand as much editing of Ricki and all the other components. I'm hoping too the audience on GSM are parallel to their retro counterparts - in other words, guessing higher or lower on "Card Sharks" doesn't take an edit's worth of time to decide and making said decision correctly doesn't prompt a World Cup win-like reaction from the crowd.

Has loads of potential - the fact they're doing an intro of the show within the show, etc - let's just hope the rest of the games are better paced and stuff.

-Jason

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 11:30:18 PM »
I didn't tape the show and based on what I have read, I did not miss much.  I wont tape any shows for gsm.

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 11:35:23 PM »
To quote my dad when Ricki threw to break: "Ryan Seacrest has really started something."

Here are some good things.

-Ricki was fine.  I'm okay that she fangirled a bit.  After all, that's the point of this series.

-Rich was fine.  I blame studio acoustics and maybe even the audio staff.

-Paige Davis was wonderful.  She seemed to be the only of the 6 to be fully immersed in the Price experience, with Kathy as a distant second.  Her reaction when the MP3 players were up for grabs was Priceless.  It's a shame that she only mustered $2100, which still isn't bad by Plinko standards.

-Kathy Najimy gets some credit for the grocery part of Hole in One.  She probably did as good, if not better than Jane Plinko and was one adjustment away from running the table.  I don't blame her for her Showcase bid.  None of the CSS players had a clue on the Showcase, either.

-The opening documontage was pure nerdgasm.

-I liked how the winning player's stuff was up for grabs.  I also liked the MP3 Player thing.  After all, why can't the studio audience join in on the fun?

Now for the bad.

-Why did I not expect an editfest?  It's primetime TV.  There has to be lots of edits, most of them bad.  Some of the edits made the show too confusing to follow.

-Baywatch lady is going to have to do A LOT to convince me that she's something other than window dressing.  She gets minor points for her out-of-the-box thinking on the bubble chair.

-The Showcases definitely needed Ritalin.  Badly.

-The Showcase Showdown format seemed okay at first, and then there was a tie.  Of course, if they did what my Dad recommended and have the top two spinners advance, this would all be moot.

So to summarize, the core players (Rich, Ricki, the games) were fine.  It was everything else that had issues.  Hopefully, things will be ironed out before too long.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
Well, this was interesting.  Not great, but interesting to watch as a one-time deal.  I enjoyed it most for the uniquness of it all, and less so as an actual episode of The Price is Right.  If anything, it proves that, even if the show is a bit rushed nowadays, it would be a lot worse for them to cut down to three games in an hour-long period.  I mean, some of the banter with Ricki was nice, but there was just that's too much of it.

And how was Ricki?  Decent.  A bit more hyper than Bob, but then, I guess having celebrities for contestants will turn that up, but I can't say Ricki did too bad a job.  Except for her explanation of Race Game's rules, which confused me.  From this one show, I can't say I'd want her to take over for Bob anytime.

The showcase showdown was stupidly done.  I mean, if they were going to use the big wheel, wouldn't it have been a lot simpler to just have the two highest scorers get into the showcase, instead of the whole "the two without the highest score will have a spinoff, unless there's a tie for the highest score" thing?

Then again... showcase showdown arrow!  Yay!  Daytime show, you should ask Game Show Marathon if you could borrow that ;-)!

Putting a commercial break between the prize for Hole in One and the start of Hole in One itself was really bad.

As a fan of Life Savers, I have never in my life seen them for over 80¢, even at expensive convenience stores.  Where'd they manage to find that 85¢ roll :-P?

The 1964 Mustang is probably the most freakin' random prize ever offered in a showcase.  From the price, I guess it's around $30,000, but I really had no clue how much it might've been!  Turns out I underbid by quite a bit.

pricefan18 shocked everyone with:  It means they EDITED OUT THE SECOND SHOT [in Hole in One].

You're kidding.  With all the extra unimportant talking throughout the entire show, they had the nerve to edit the gameplay itself?!  Even though there was absolutely no reason to?!?!  ARGH!!!

I mean, come on!  Even a lot of casual fans will know something's wrong with that, since a lot of casual fans actually know that you're supposed to get two putts in that game!

And now, I have to wonder if Ricki Lake actually did do an inspiration putt, but if that was edited too.  Ricki really should have done an inspiration putt... they could've even talked during that.

TheBigAK wrote:  Did you see Adam Corolla stand up after the third contestant came on down.

Yes.  I can't believe he did that, but then, he looked bored during the second calldown as well.  I can't believe they'd actually deliberately get that on camera.

urbanpreppie0004 said:  Posts like some of theses are exactly why some of us don't post anymore. People take TPIR way too seriously and just look for all the nitcpicking.

Nitpicking?!  I'm sorry, but editing out the second putt in Hole in One is something big!  If my little sister, who rarely watches The Price is Right, complains about it, there's something wrong!

heelsrule1988 didn't write:  drooling over any contestants.

You're kidding me!  Paige Davis!  Hello?  Paige Davis :-P!

Offline LudwigMackdaddy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 11:41:03 PM »
I enjoyed it..in CONTEXT. I knew the whole deal was going to be screwed with -- and I adored the tribute and clips at the beginning-- I thought Rikki did a good job -- the part I personally thought could have been edited out-- the coming on down part-- I mean it's not like it was a suprise !!! They knew who was going to be on the show of course-- so didn't this seem a tad silly?  I think Paige Davis genuinely tried to be into it -- poor Leslie N. seemed to be totally at a loss at what was going on -- all the " chatter"-- was so so too much -- in general-- here's what I think-- it wasn't good.. but it's probably the best we could have hoped for.   And I was SUPREMELY duped into thinking we are looking at MDS showcases-- I REALLY thought a mint 66 mustang was a fortune  and that speedboat wasn't a "known" RB-- ah well . heh :)  There's my 2 cents.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 11:47:59 PM »
I thought this show was good but could have been a lot better. The Price tribute video at the beginning of the show was excellent and I thought the opening and first four calldown was pretty cool.  Rich's announcing was excellent also.  The sign in the back of the audience is nice too.  Ricki Lake started out good but then got more annoying and fake as the show went on.  She also seemed just a little too happy and excited and interacted with the celebrities a little too much IMO. Also, except for Leslie, the celebrities really got on my nerves and were not like real people at all.  I didn't really like those Britney Spears school girl outfits the models wore either.  Playing Hole in One for an XLR was cool and a big surprise but Kathy came off as pretty stuck-up to me during the game and didn't putt that well.  She did nicely with the groceries though.  I thought the bids on the clock except for $3,000 were all going to be way too high, but man was I wrong, lol.  Paige Davis really bothered me during Plinko and Ricki and the audience made her worse.  The moment before Paige guessed the MP3 player also really struck me as irritating.  I couldn't wait for her to finally make her choice.  The camera angles used during the game were cool though, and in the end I felt bad that Paige didn't win more.  The camera angle and delivery of the bubble chair was pretty cool too although it was kind of weird to see the model have to turn it around to sit in it for some reason.  What a strange price spread in Race Game.  I'm very surprised Brande only won two prizes with that setup.  But she probably would have if she didn't walk and it was kind of funny that she was upset she had to make more guesses.  Having two people make it to the showcase from one showcase showdown actually didn't seem all that odd to me for some reason.  The showcases had some cool new prizes not seen on Price before, and that vintage Mustang was really out there but also pretty nice.  The time travel showcase was fun too.  I had no idea what to say for the prices of either one of them.
The showcase reveals were pretty anti-climatic and Brande barely seemed excited that she won.  I liked that Ricki Lake used Bob's closing line, but for some reason she didn't seem that comfortable saying it.

If the celebrity contestants become more down to earth and more like regular contestants on a game show and Ricki settles down, and gets more real in her role, I think we're in for better.  Right now I can't say I'm too impressed or too hopeful.

Offline sullim4

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
First, the good.  The big wheel arrow shot was awesome to see back (are you listening Bart?), awesome enough that it was my favorite part of the show.  Game selection for this type of show was solid given that you knew they were going to play Plinko.  It was a nice change of pace to see a classic car being offered in the showcase.

Now, the bad.  What were Rikki and Rich on tonight?  It was a continual scream-fest.  Rich has really improved since he first took the job, which makes me wonder if the production team wanted him to act this way.  I know that a lot of you complain that his style is too "loud" but even tonight was a big departure from his usual "loud".

If it is indeed true that Hole-in-One was edited to remove the second putt, CBS and Fremantle should be ashamed of themselves.

Did anyone notice the blatent spoiler at the beginning, where the winner of the showcase (whose name I don't even remember...) was seen on stage in front of the showcase podiums?

I agree with most of the other negative sentiments here as well.

I think the lesson for today is to consider ourselves extremely lucky to have Bob, Roger, Kathy, and the entire staff working the show.  They're the best in the business at what they do.  Let's be honest here - if the show ever turns into that, will you regularly watch the show anymore?  I've got to say no.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »
Wow. What actually happened tonight definitely blew me out of the water.

To begin with, the retro clips at the beginning were awesome. It was nice seeing that Janice was allowed in the clips, even though Kathleen, Dian, and Holly were not in the montage. Anitra wore a bikini on Price? I never knew that.

The intro was pretty nice. I got a chuckle with them showing the hopeful "guest" celebrities. The only gripe I had, though, is the fact that the big GSM doors were not released back before the TPIR big doors were opened. That's just my thought, though.

Edits. Need I say more?

Ricki did a great job, considering this was her first time hosting Price, or any game show for that matter.

Is there a reason why the 2003 cues were allowed to sneak into Studio 46? They were not needed at all. It was nice hearing my favorite Price cue being used for the bubble chair, though.

Someone had mentioned Rich as being extremely loud tonight. I've never heard him so loud before.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 11:57:16 PM »
I didn't come in with real high expectations; it was a salute to Price, not a serious attempt to recreate the show. That said, I thought it was all right. I got a few laughs out of it (in a good way), which is more than most prime time TV can do for me. All in all, I liked some things and didn't like others.

THE BAD:

THE EDITS! It was like they took a regular Price episode and a bunch of audience shots to Dairy Queen and made a Video Blizzard! Why the shot of Adam Carolla getting up and leaving after his name didn't get called? Who thought that was funny? And couldn't somebody on the editing team try to make it sound like they didn't shoot all those audience reactions after the show was over?

"Can you guess what game you're going to play? We'll tell you......after this." WHOA!

Can somebody who understood how the showcase showdown worked call me? The Big Wheel is too iconic to leave out, but the way they handled it was a mess. Why did Paige get banished to the Cotton Candy Club before she was truly out of the running? Why did Brande get another spin when it was already established she was in the showcase?

A vintage Mustang? I came up with a half-dozen ways to interpret how you were supposed to bid on that before the showcase was even over.

Poor old Tim Meadows just didn't seem comfortable up there.

The "Eh."

Ricki was decent. She didn't make me cringe and she has a lot of heart, but she's too much "supportive pal" and not enough "emcee".

Watching this helped me figure out why I've never been wild about the idea of celebrity TPiR. When they pick a regular contestant, it's probably the most exciting thing to happen in that person's life, and the most TV exposure they'll ever get. That translates to good reactions. These celebrities have all done TV before and they all have nice things. No matter how much they may love TPiR, it's just not gonna be quite as emotional for them.

It looks like they tried to amend for that by having the celebs play for home viewers. But that's not  real exciting when you don't even know who that person is beforehand. At least mentioning a name and hometown, a la "Play Along" gives you someone to root for. As for the charities, do they win those prizes, or (hopefully) the cash equivalent?

THE GOOD:

The vintage clip reel was very cool, and I think a lot of the casual viewers could have picked up a lot of neat trivia from it. And that clip of the '70s scuba gear with the chroma key was wild. I'd love to see a screengrab of that.

The set! I thought it was awesome that they incorporated the floor with the red asterisks into contestants' row without there being an actual floor there. Ricki's entrance was also really neat.

The reveal of Hole in One with music was too cool. If it was my show and I could do anything I wanted, every game would get that.

They picked some good celebrities, as these things go. Leslie Nielsen cracked me up a couple of times. ("You bid WHAT?")

I'm still hoping to catch Match Game. They're not doing too bad of a job.

Offline dustind

• Outside in Line
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 12:04:39 AM »
I wasn't pretty comfortable with having celebrities play Price, and from what I read about them, I'm glad I didn't watch tonight.

Offline Johnny

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 12:08:02 AM »
Okay, I'm going to say this. Listen close. I heard a story of someoine living in a "crummy" apartment. I gave them the lashing of their life and said, "You just watch some of those poor peopler on the streets wishing for that apartment you have."  Moral is, we got TPIR. Don't complsin so mucj. We as a society, middle class people are so spoiled it amazes me. Think of the other half who can't even WATCH TPiR because they don't have a darn TV!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 12:08:03 AM »

Frank15 wrote:
heelsrule1988 didn't write:  drooling over any contestants.

You're kidding me!  Paige Davis!  Hello?  Paige Davis :-P!

She's hot, but man, she annoys me. Brande was hot, too, but her dumbness was incredible. So yeah, I guess I should've given them smilies... but I didn't really like them.

Offline Hades1981

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 12:09:22 AM »
Overall I wasn't impressed with tonight's show. The pace was WAY too SLOOOOOW, gameplay quality was mediocre at best, and they could've gotten some better celebs for contestants. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was thinking that just for laughs, they should've had Vanna White be a contestant. ;) However, I LOVED the montage of clips at the opening of the show. It makes me miss TPIR not being on GSN even more.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 12:13:58 AM »

jjc92787 wrote:
I liked that Ricki Lake used Bob's closing line, but for some reason she didn't seem that comfortable saying it.

I didn't get get that sense.  If, in fact, she wasn't comfortable saying it, I'd guess it's because Bob sincerely believes in what he's saying, whereas Icky Ricki merely said it as a salute/shout-out to Bob.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.