Author Topic: Game$how Marathon -- Night 1: TPiR (Updated w/Recap)  (Read 66022 times)

Offline Forrest20

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Game Show Marathon -- Night 1 -- TPiR
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 12:17:12 AM »
To me, if you take the show in its own entity, and not compare it to the daytime show, it was fairly good.  However, I know that is very hard to do, and to be fair, this didn't hold a candle to the daytime show.

I'll give grades to the different aspects, why not?

Ricki (B-/C+):  Considering the role she was having to fill, and also the fact that she had to learn seven different formats in a very limited time, she did a respectable job.  She knows how to interact with people well, which was a plus.  However, she did get a little flustered at times, and was a touch too loud and more like a contestant at times instead of the emcee.  Overall though, she did ok in a very tough role.

Celebrities (C-):  Paige and Leslie were the only two who made this grade somewhat respectable for me.  Kathy didn't really seem like she wanted to be there and Brande was just simply awful, painful to watch.  However, Paige seemed to really be enjoying herself which made her fun to watch and Leslie always knows when to crack a good joke.  They were the redeeming duo for me.

Gameplay (C):  The fact that Kathy's second putt was edited out is inexcusable.  Whoever did that is an idiot, plain and simple.  The showcase showdown was just plain weird too, did anybody get those rules the way Ricki described them?  I didn't.  Other than that, it was fine.

Overall presentation (C+):  Wow, this is where it gets strange.  The opening montage and tribute were incredibly awesome, I wish I had that part on tape.  At the same time, there were waaaay too many edits, and it really didn't flow well at times.  However, some of the camera angles and direction used were outstanding.  When all is said and done, the overall look and feel is a little above average at a C+.

Directing (A):  Kudos to R. Brian DiPirro!  I thought he did a great job since he had never directed anything like Price before.  Some of the camera angles and other things on the show really harkened back to the older days of great directing on Price.  For one thing, we got a full Race Game curtain shot!  When does that ever happen?  Also, the inital reveal to the small prizes on Plinko was old school!  That's how it used to be done!  Also, the return of the triangle shot to the Big Wheel was outstanding.  Great directing job!  Someone on the daytime show could take a good lesson here..

Overall grade (B-/C+):  There were some good moments and some bad moments.  But all in all, it wasn't terrible, but not great either.  Heh, and my grade kinda proves that the host makes or breaks the show.  Ricki's grade and the show's grade are the same.  After tonight, I think I'm intrigued enough to watch the rest of these shows.

However, this whole thing confirms a couple of things for me:

1.  We are so incredibly lucky to have the daytime version the way it is now.  Bob, Roger, Kathy, and everyone else associated with the daytime version runs a top-notch operation day in and day out.

2.  A celebrity edition of Price is just not a good idea.  Give me regular Joes and Joannes anyday!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 12:18:45 AM »

Johnny wrote:
Okay, I'm going to say this. Listen close. I heard a story of someoine living in a "crummy" apartment. I gave them the lashing of their life and said, "You just watch some of those poor peopler on the streets wishing for that apartment you have."  Moral is, we got TPIR. Don't complsin so mucj. We as a society, middle class people are so spoiled it amazes me. Think of the other half who can't even WATCH TPiR because they don't have a darn TV!

May I remind you that this is a DISCUSSION board! We come here to discuss the show. Sometimes people will have an opinion that you will not agree with. If someone wants to express a well-thought opinion as to why s/he liked or disliked a show, they are entitled to do so. You, in turn, have no right to tell people to stop complaining. After all, if we did this wouldn't be a DISCUSSION board any more, would it?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline logikreader

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 12:19:23 AM »

dustind wrote:
I wasn't pretty comfortable with having celebrities play Price, and from what I read about them, I'm glad I didn't watch tonight.

From what you read about them?  What do you mean by that?  Are you talking about what you read about them being on the show or just the celbrities in general?

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 12:26:24 AM »
I'm really not quite sure what my opinion is of the show. It was fun to watch but it wasn't really what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of positive things. I enjoyed the vintage clips, cool camera angles, looking at Rachel when she was modeling the 66 Mustang. I even loved the fact that they used some classic things such as the Big Wheel Contestant Arrow shot, and even showing the doors open when Rich was describing the small prizes in Plinko. And they even gave everyone in the audience an MP3 player!

There were a lot of negatives too. I mean it took two segments just to get the first pricing game done and over with. I'm not sure if you guys even noticed but they only created two big doors for the show, which means a lot more work for the crew. Ricki should've asked about the celebrity charities when they won an IUFB. That's pretty stupid that we didn't see Kathy Najimi's second putt. Plus I didn't like the fact that after the Showcase Showdown was won that they immediately ran over to the turntable to do the showcases. It was clear that part HAD to be edited because the wheel was in the way.

I would have to say this episode might've worked if TPiR was no longer on the air. It just wasn't the same. As I think about it I wonder if they were going after the half hour version and simply throwing in the big wheel.

Overall I think Ricki and the girls did a great job. It was a little weird that Rich had a couple different tones, plus he sounded liked it was clearly a voice over. Hopefully if CBS airs this show again and they do TPiR they'll have tuned it up a lot better and gave it the feel that the current show has. Hopefully the remaining shows will be better. I can't wait to see tomorrow's "Let's Make a Deal," and "Beat the Clock." I've never seen it because I'm toooooooooo young to remember Beat the Clock
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline logikreader

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 12:26:26 AM »
My thoughts on the show pretty much mirror everyone else's.  I'd cut Tim Meadows a break though... he was pretty funny at the upcoming episodes I attended in person... and Adam Carolla leaving when he didn't get called... oh man that was HILLARIOUS!!

Did anyone get to see the "Great Taste Lower Cholesterol Stadium" Commercial?  I can't believe how funny that was.  Don't laugh:  I thought that was the highlight of the night!  I love those Honey Nut Cheerios commercials.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 12:29:56 AM »
First of all, heels, how could anyone not like Paige Davis :-(?

Johnny wrote:  Moral is, we got TPIR. Don't complain so much.

Second of all, this wasn't The Price is Right.  And just because we're fans of The Price is Right does not mean we should have to be blind to this show's imperfections, or rate every episode of The Price is Right a 10.  Just because we complain does not mean we don't like the show.  Well, maybe Hulk, but she's an exception.  But it generally means we felt the show could've been better, and it feels good to vent about things we didn't like about a show.  No show is flawless.  Every show has an occasional episode that's below average, and with over 6000 shows, certainly The Price is Right is going to have some.  Having to pretend the flaws don't exist is ridiculous.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 12:32:18 AM »
I must say I am utterly confused and amazed.

First, the good:

1) Retro clips!  Yippee!  :-D
2) Arrow graphic in SCSD.  Yippee again!! :-D  :-D Hopefully Bart reads this stuff.
3) The beauties :-D .

ILOVEBONUSGAME wrote:

Anitra wore a bikini on Price? I never knew that.

Yeah, she did. :-)

4) I thought Studio 46 looked cool.

Now, the bad:

1) I don't think this format works.  There's just too much talking.  I've done some of my own TPiRs with this format, but it seemed to work better.  
2) I prefer having regular contestants.  Fortunately, I didn't know who these people were, anyway.  Plus they didn't seem to really try or care.
3) The commercial edits were odd.  Why did they have a break during Hole-in-One-or-Two-that-won't-be-shown-on-air, yet there was no commercial after the game?  :-?
4) Ricki was all right, but she got louder as the show continued.  She didn't need Bob's microphone.  I still wish Bob could've done all of it.
5) Rich sounded a bit off, but I think it may have been because the scripts were written more awkwardly than on the normal show.
6) I still have absolutely no clue how the SCSD worked.

Offline hardware2k

• Outside in Line
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 12:32:57 AM »
i second the motion on vanna white. she would have been a perfect celebrity for this show, and would have been more interesting for more of america to watch than tim meadows or brande roderick.

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 12:42:13 AM »
Why did they have a break during Hole-in-One-or-Two-that-won't-be-shown-on-air, yet there was no commercial after the game?

I think there's an explanation for that.  The game was too big and would block the door with the car.  (There was no Door #3)  If you noticed, the "Race Game Curtain" was done when they returned from break.

Offline dustind

• Outside in Line
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006, 12:44:19 AM »
logikreader: I was merely going by what I read about them. I had no intention of watching the GSM Price. I am, however, looking forward to the other installments.

Offline gameshowlover072

• Outside in Line
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »
First, I have to say that all-in-all, it wasn't that bad.  My favorite cue is the MGHS Hour cue and it great to hear it twice in the show.  However, most of the other cues I really couldn't hear, and I really couldn't hear most of the sound effects.  They played the losing horns at the end of Hole in One, but I really couldn't hear them well, either.  

The opening was good, so was the montage.  That is too bad about the Hole in One edit. As soon as she missed, I expected Ricki to say.."It's Hole In One...OR Two!" I also enjoyed the arrow in the SCSD.

I also noticed that there was no door #3 after watching it again.  I am hoping that when they do Press Your Luck, they actually have the old whammy animations.  Also, I am hoping they do the spinning head box in Match Game in the beginning.  From the previews, it looks like they are doing the Card Sharks from the 80's, because the set they showed had a car in the background.

I am sure everything will get better with time.  Deal or No Deal had those Howie Mandel voice-overs and edits in the beginning, too.  I am looking forward to tomorrow!  I say I give tonight's episode a 7 out of 10.  And..how many of you knew the answer to the trivia question?

Offline Vexorg

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 01:01:43 AM »
Two words:  Amateur Hour.

Granted, Rikki did the best she could with the material, and they did a decent job on the set, but the contestants were just awful (with the possible exception of Paige.)  The whole thing came across as contrived, fake and poorly edited (and that was before seeing that the "or Two" putt got edited out.)  I'll probably watch some of the other GSM shows, but mostly to see how things get handled from a technical perspective.  I'm certainly not watching this stuff for the content...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2006, 01:05:19 AM »
I thought the show was okay.  It wasn't awful, but it wasn't fantastic, either.  I can honestly say the celebs didn't bother me -- except Brande.  Brande was an annoying idiot.

There were certainly some things that bothered me; surprisingly, Ricki wasn't one of them.  There were times when I didn't think she was acting very professional, but it was clear that she was at least trying to do the show justice.

I thought it was weird that there was no second putt in Hole in One.  Now that I know there was one and it was edited out, I think it's even weirder.  Hole in One is one of the show's best-known games; that wasn't something that a casual viewer was going to miss.  I'm sure there are a whole lot of heads being scratched over that tonight.

I also thought it was very strange that there was no mention of the Double Showcase rule...I'm seriously wondering whether it wasn't in place or Ricki just forgot about it.  And honestly, I've seen it now, and I still don't completely understand what the heck was going on with the Big Wheel.

I didn't like the overhead shots of the Big Wheel spinning...but God, was it a nice surprise to actually see an arrow graphic!  I couldn't believe they did that!

And speaking of the directing, I was extremely impressed with Contestants' Row.  They somehow managed to shoot it during the bidding so that it looked exactly like it does in Studio 33.  Heck, the front of the table even look like the floor in front of the displays at certain points.

It seems like the producers wanted Rich to be majorly over the top for this show...and it seems like they didn't tell him this until after they taped it, because all the parts where he sounded that way seemed like they were edited in in post-production.  Not surprisingly, he sounded way better on the parts that were done live-to-tape.

One thing that really surprised me was that at least one of the clips they showed -- the Camaro from 1972 -- had Janice in it, and another one had Bob talking to Janice.  Does anyone know how those got in there?

And now, my only comment about the gameplay:  there is absolutely no way that Race Game should have been lost.  Brande played it horribly...I actually watched the daytime show after I watched this, so seeing Race Game played so well on there was very nice.

bhall96992 wrote:

I, too, thought it was extremely slow. If they wanted to, they could have fit an entire show in, I felt. They could have used the quick games like Double Prices, Freeze Frame, Bonus Game, and Check Game.

Actually, Check Game and Bonus Game are both fairly long.

urbanpreppie0004 wrote:

Posts like some of theses are exactly why some of us don't post anymore. People take TPIR way too seriously and just look for all the nitcpicking.

It's not going to be perfect guys. It's a celebrity one-off special.

Frankly, I enjoyed it for what it was.

I really don't know what to say to this.  I honestly can't understand why this surprises you, considering most of the people here are pretty darn obsessive about the show.  If you have a different opinion than everyone else, you're certainly welcome to add it.

And for what it's worth, my grandmother was disappointed by this thing, saying that it was too different from what she was used to.  My grandmother can't even remember on a consistent basis what Five Price Tags is.

(Honestly, I think I enjoyed it more than she did.)

Johnny wrote:

Okay, I'm going to say this. Listen close. I heard a story of someoine living in a "crummy" apartment. I gave them the lashing of their life and said, "You just watch some of those poor peopler on the streets wishing for that apartment you have."  Moral is, we got TPIR. Don't complsin so mucj. We as a society, middle class people are so spoiled it amazes me. Think of the other half who can't even WATCH TPiR because they don't have a darn TV!

You know, I would love to tell you off for making such an asinine post, but I can't really think of anything to say that isn't offensive...and honestly, Alfonzo and Frank have already done it very well themselves.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2006, 01:09:30 AM »
I may write more later, but before I go to bed I have to say that this was like watching TPIR from a parallel universe!  Eerily the same, yet somehow different.  I haven't seen an episode of Price this strange since the Doug Davidson's TnPIR'94.

So Kathy Najimy's 2nd putt was edited out?  I thought they just neglected to give it to her.

All in all, enjoyable in its own way, but somehow lacked the edge and excitement of the daytime show.  Probably because you knew those celebrities weren't walking with the prizes themselves.

I always wondered what a celebrity version of TPIR would be like, that appearance by Larry King in the Grand Game a couple of years back notwithstanding.  I won't lose sleep over it anymore!   :-)

JBK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2006, 01:17:08 AM »
I just thought of something I had neglected to mention before. Did anyone catch that they used the come on down music used in the intro for the other come on down's as well?