Author Topic: Game$how Marathon -- Night 1: TPiR (Updated w/Recap)  (Read 66001 times)

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Game Show Marathon -- Night 1 -- TPiR
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2006, 01:21:04 AM »
Unfortunately, the whole show looked to me a little like a elaborate college production.  Rikki Lake was terribly miscast as an emcee.  She was loud (you have a mike Rikki---you don't have to yell!) and a little too girlishly giggly (very unprofessional).

I love the models but the outfits they were in were sometimes rather unintentially comical.  (catholic school girl outfits on a trampoline and unflattering two piece bathing suits!)

Rich Fields was way off key.  He used a type of announcing that shows like Saturday Night Live would parody.  He yelled a little too much, emphasized some of the lesser prizes too much, and tried too hard to be noticed.  The beauty of TPIR's announcers through the years have been  that they can describe prizes without being annoying---just a friendly voice describing great prizes. Note to Rich:  I love you---now go back to your pleasant sounding daytime style!

I hate being so negative but even without the Bob's version to compare it to, I found the whole show annoying and badly directed.

This show only proves how great Bob's version is.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2006, 01:25:01 AM »
OK...I just watched this show on tape. I am so glad I taped it because it was quality TV. It was nothing like the daytime show at all. This is a format that allows for loads of celebrity chit chat with the required game play fit in the middle.

First off, when you get Ricki Lake to host a game show, you should know what you're gonna get. She screams. Point blank, she screams. That does not mean she's bad at what she does. She is very compitent at keeping a show going, and now has shown that she's good at keeping a gameshow going as well. But, you should get used to her screaming and being excited, because that's who she is. if you don't like that, then you should stop watching now, because she's not going to stop.

Secondly, I agree that the show was poorly edited. A few of the edits were awkward, and the show did not flow as we are used to. But, again, it was games from TPiR fit into another format. This was not an episode of TPiR. This was TPiR games being played on Gameshow Marathon. So, the edits, while awkward and very choppy, don't really bother me as much as if they messed up the daytime show and started shooting the show like this. Roger and crew do a very good job of editing and shooting the show every day and will never edit the show that badly.

Other that that, I look at it as it is...a show that's on the air in first-run episodes being given a tribute by a Gameshow tribute special. It's different than seeing a clip show, but it's still a tribute.

I know one of the goals of this is to get a companion show for Family Feud in Syndication for 2007. This won't get a nighttime version of Price anytime soon, but I think the other shows will translate better to this format. I am looking foreward to seeing Press Your Luck and Match Game.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2006, 01:26:51 AM »
If there wasn't the traditional Price Is Right to compare this special to, I'd rate it as okay to pretty good. The opening montage was great. Rich DiPirro, a longtime admirer of classic game shows, did a competent directing job. (It was great to see the "pie" effect in the Showcase Showdown again.) Ricki Lake had the unenviable job of trying to fill the shoes of a legendary M.C., and she did well under the circumstances.

But the producers missed some basic opportunities to make the special more like the original. For instance, this was a golden chance to play only classic music cues. It would have been cool, too, to use art cards and a mechanical credit roll to provide that "classic look."

If they were to produce another of these specials, there are some fundamental things that can stand improvement. There was no need for that jib camera; the aerial shots were jarring. The post-production editing created an unnatural feel. (Has shooting a show live-to-tape become a lost art?)  The audio mix lacked dynamic range -- the audience's hooting was overly favored and became a distraction. The lighting design was too high-key.

But a lot of this is understandable. The people behind Game Show Marathon are not from the ranks of TPIR. Tonight, I heard from a friend who knows one of the Price Is Right staffers. He told him that the GSM crew (quote: "a bunch of young kids") solicited some limited assistance from the TPIR staff to get the things they needed, but the overall tone was that they wanted to do this special their own way.

Offline mikewpu04

• Outside in Line
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2006, 01:34:20 AM »
Heres my two cents:

I think the whole expierence would have been better for me if a few things were diffrent.

TPiR really isnt a celebrity format. The show just works better with regular people. I think Ricki as a host would have worked a lot better with regular people.

I wish they just did it on Stage 33, although i LOVED the opening reveal of the set.

Ricki was very much too fanish and not most hostish. She was jumping up and down etc. Its not about Barker not doing it, its about no game show host doing it like she did. Howee Mandel does it on Deal or no Deal but not as a fan just having fun with the contestant.

If this was supposed to be classic, where the hell was the classic music and set? To be honest, Price should not have been included in the context of everything else. They brough back the Match Game 73 set, the Press Your Luck set. Why make price modern?!

Other then that, hey it was something diffrent. First variant on Price in 12 years. Kudos 2 CBS.

Offline Gatorman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2006, 01:41:17 AM »
My thoughts, since I wasn't here in chat.

Too bad there were no winners...I, too, thought there was only one putt (until I realized a second was edited out). Oh well, the Cadillac wouldn't have been won, anyway. Kathy lost her showcase...

I got the Race Game prices right in one go. Go me. ^^

And my showcase bids were $38,475 and $55,000, respectively.

Also, loved a few camera angles...especially those at the wheel! However, I wasn't too pleased about the pacing of the show. Ran like molasses.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2006, 01:44:34 AM »

TVC hit the nail on the head in saying:

But the producers missed some basic opportunities to make the special more like the original. For instance, this was a golden chance to play only classic music cues. It would have been cool, too, to use art cards and a mechanical credit roll to provide that "classic look."

I agree with this, there is something nostalgic about chromakey and art cards.

The post-production editing created an unnatural feel. (Has shooting a show live-to-tape become a lost art?)

As someone who is being trained to do live-to-tape shows in my curriculum, it would be the way I would do shows, dramatic, game or whatever.  The problem we have here with this show is that there were celebrities who bantered about and it made edits necessary. How to solve the problem? I would personally dump the celebrities, but then again, I'm not the running the show.

The audio mix lacked dynamic range -- the audience's hooting was overly favored and became a distraction. The lighting design was too high-key.

Was I the only one who had a hard time hearing the music and sound effects, especially during Race Game? A very sloppy audio job, IMO.

But a lot of this is understandable. The people behind Game Show Marathon are not from the ranks of TPIR. Tonight, I heard from a friend who knows one of the Price Is Right staffers. He told him that the GSM crew (quote: "a bunch of young kids") solicited some limited assistance from the TPIR staff to get the things they needed, but the overall tone was that they wanted to do this special their own way.

I appreciate this attempt at a classic feel of Price, I mean, we had lots of old stuff come back to the forefront in this show, I'm thakful for what we did see, just some polish work needed to be done... not a bad first effort, but not without its logistical problems.

Offline drmusic_99

• In the Audience
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2006, 01:55:37 AM »
It was about what I expected, although I was pleasantly surprised at the opening retrospective.

Ricki Lake was disappointing, but that is what you get when you hire an actor (albeit one who lucked into her own talk show) instead of an actual, you know, broadcaster. It has nothing to do with "big shoes to fill" or anything like that -- it has to do with having a skillset that Ricki does not. Anyway, we're stuck with her for the rest of the series, so no use complaining.

Offline Vexorg

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »
There seems to be no surer way to turn an OK but problematic show into an absolute train wreck than to toss in a bunch of C-list celebrities, then drag out 30 minutes worth of show into an hour to give them more time to talk about themselves.    Again, I think Ricki Lake did an OK (not great) job of hosting here, but Bob would never had suffered these fools they tried to pass off as contestants.

OK kids, you've had your fun.  Now stand back and give the show back to the professionals.

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2006, 02:16:44 AM »
I'll admit I was confused about the whole show, but one does have to realize that it was not gonna be perfect anyway. In a perfect world, Bob would have hosted it, the standard hour foprmat would be there, and...well...there would be no celebs.

I thought the show was OK. I enjoyed seeing some of the celebs play (And Patge Davis is hot, let's all admit it now.), and there was some exictement coming from some of the celebs.

As for all of you who are confused about how the Showcase Showdown went, let me see if I can figure out the rules. here we go.

-The contestant nearest to a dollar without going over will be in the showcase guaranteed.
-After one round at the Big Wheel, the other two players spin-off to determine who else plays.

All in all I thought it was an OK show. I did not like the fact that the show went 0 for 3 or that the top winenr won only around $9,000 in prizes, but it could have been MUCH WORSE.
I support The Price is Right.

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2006, 02:24:56 AM »
And after reading what everyone else had to say about ricki's screams, I know one game where it would fit well.

Here's the clue.

Stop at...$4,000 AND A SPIN!
I support The Price is Right.

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2006, 02:26:20 AM »
I was half and half on this one. It was what I expected. My ideas on why Hole In One had the 2nd putt cut out was the fact that most of the games had some-kind of old-school approach to them.
Hole in One was originally just that.... Hole In ONE. They did an older reveal of the Plinko prizes as well as the Race Game prizes. They also brought in the SS arrow. So while the set was a 'modern' look, they decided to go older with the games. Thats the only thing that I can think of about the one putt.

I'm looking forward to LMAD and the rest of the GSM. I'm not going to totally bash the whole series based on just TPiR.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2006, 02:34:37 AM »
Was I the only one who had a hard time hearing the music and sound effects, especially during Race Game? A very sloppy audio job, IMO.
Indeed! Beyond the audience being way too loud in the mix, there were times when I couldn't hear the music or thought there were two tracks of music playing simultaneously. The shouting of Rich Fields and Ricki Lake didn't help the situation.

As for the abundance of editing, it may be that it was performed by less-than-qualified people. There was a time when any post-production editing would be supervised by the director or the A.D. Now it's standard practice on many shows (e.g., the last incarnation of Hollywood Squares) for producers and other non-directorial staff to do their own editing on Avid or Final Cut Pro systems. Shows produced by companies that are not signatories to the Directors Guild have the freedom to function this way. Money might be saved, but the on-screen results tend to suffer.

I don't know whether the director of Game Show Marathon was involved with the TPIR editing. Being what they call a "financial core" member of the Director's Guild, he is free to work for both signatory (union) and non-signatory production companies.

Some simple advice to people trying to recreate the quality of the classics:  Just watch and listen to the old tapes to learn how to do things properly.

I need to clear my palate. Pardon me while I go watch some of the J-Shea clips. ;-)

Offline WilliamPorygon

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2006, 03:20:39 AM »
(William had posted his own recap in this space. It has since been edited down to his comments only.)

Kathy appeared to be gypped, or at least playing a much older version of
this game, as the losing horns played and she was whisked off the stage
right after missing her first putt.  But, reports from people who
attended the taping indicate she was given a second putt (which she also
missed) that was edited out of the broadcast.  Odd that they have so
much dead time during the show but can't find time to squeeze in the
entire actual gameplay

Before Paige guessed on the MP3 Player, Ricki announced that if she
got it right, everyone in the audience would receive one.  The audience
seemed to be almost unanimous in urging Paige to pick the 9

The rules for tonight's Showcase Showdown were shaky at best.  At
the start, Ricki announced that the two with the highest scores without
going over would advance to the showcase.  (Wonder what would they'd
do if two of them went over?)  Then, after Paige's spins, she announced
that if Brande beat Kathy's 55 cents she would go to the showcase and
the other two would have a spinoff to decide which of them advanced,
unless she tied the 55 cents, in which case they'd just stick with the
"two highest scores advance" deal.  Just plain weird

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Game$how Marathon -- Night 1: TPiR (Updated w/Recap)
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2006, 07:14:59 AM »
I throught it was good i dint care for the clebs i watched for ricki lake hosting. I throught she did a good job moving the show along. I also liked when ricki lake was jumping around. it was nice seeing tpir hosted by a female

Offline nasnut67

• In Contestant's Row
    • It's my Facebook page.
Re: Game$how Marathon -- Night 1: TPiR (Updated w/Recap)
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 07:17:07 AM »
I can pinpoint the rules for the showcase showdown and they come from over the seas in GERMANY!  That was DER PRISS IST HEISS showcase showdown rules.  Here is what I have to say about the show.  I loved the montage at the start.  After hearing the interview on TVgameshows.net, I believe that Rikki was not enthused about what happened with Price.  I will say this, Rikki did great considering that was her first outing with a game show ever.  Game shows are way different than her 10 years+ on a talk show.  I thought she did well and I liked they way she hosted.  Paige Davis was fun to watch, but overall I was not impressed with the celebrities.  It was mentioned about Adam Corolla walking out, I caught the joke.  I do not like the current price set at all and would have rather seen the 80's-90's set.  That set screams The Price is Right to me more than the current set.  I come from a background of TV and film editing, and the showcase showdown was great, Hole in One SUCKED, Plinko was good, and Race Game looked great.  The showcases were great.  I loved the 66-06 Mustangs in the second showcase, that was something that I would expect in a TPIR special.  I expect Let's Make a Deal and the other shows to go off alot better.  I am still in and I hope you all will be too, especially when Press Your Luck goes off.  I talked to my cousin Thomas who went and he said PYL was really wild.  I take his word because he loves PYL.
myspace.com/nasnut67 twitter.com/AaronCCampbell facebook.com/nasnut67
CSS Addict | Radio and TV Host |Photojournalist | Graphic Designer | SCORE Co-Driver #2 Trophy Truck
CSS Winner on 1-11-07! 2 seasons- 22 starts- 1 win