Author Topic: Missed Hosting Opportunities  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Missed Hosting Opportunities
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:36:03 AM »
I saw this post on Game show forum and thought i'll bring it here its a good thread

Have you ever watched a game show and thought "gee, (blank) would have been a perfect fit to host this"?

If so, what host would you have liked to have seen host a different show?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Missed Hosting Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:03:40 AM »
For me, after seeing the two surviving episodes of Second Chance with Jim Peck, it got me wondering how well he'd have done with Press Your Luck in 1983. Would it have been as big without Peter Tomarken?

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:55:17 PM »
Gene Rayburn was supposedly in the running for Password Plus after Allen Ludden's retirement. I'm not saying he may have done better than Tom Kennedy but that would have been an interesting choice.

Marc Summers was a guest announcer on The Joker's Wild during the Cullen years. I wonder how he would have done on Tic Tac Dough if Enright went after him instead of Jim Caldwell. Speaking of The Joker's Wild, I doubt it would have lasted any longer that two more seasons with Peck hosting instead of Cullen (Remember, this was around the time Wheel started its dominance in the ratings).

Of all the names who auditioned to replace Rolf on Wheel, I'm surprised Bill Rafferty wasn't among them. I think he could have carried the show as well as Goen did. I couldn't see Marc doing it at the time since he was still hosting Double Dare. However, since Merv said Tim Brando "could host the show tomorrow.", would he have survived the network switch?

Instead if John Davidson, the early 90s $100,000 Pyramid might have gotten some more love with a more competent host but I'm not sure who. Rafferty again may come to mind but I wonder how Jim Perry might have done since it came out just after
$ale was cancelled.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 12:20:52 AM »
If Bert Convy had not fallen ill in 1990, he would have done a great job as host of the revived Match Game on ABC. Based on the pilots we've seen over the past four years, he had the spontaneity and great interaction with celebrities thanks to his experience on Tattletales and Super Password.  Maybe he could have kept another show in the Noon slot for a decent amount of time (Super Password lasted 4½ years in that slot on NBC).

I can understand GSN wanting a younger host in Todd Newton for Whammy!, but after seeing the pilot Peter Tomarken hosted thanks to Wink Martindale, I have to wonder if having the master of Press Your Luck hosting the revival would have allowed it to last longer, like Woolery Lingo. Peter hosted the game like he never left.

After reading his autobiography Everything in its Place: My Trials and Triumphs With Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I learned that Marc Summers was tapped to host Hollywood Squares when it was coming back for 1998. He appeared a handful of times in the Davidson era, and he would have had that ascended extra status by becoming the host. However, would he have been able to carry the show the way Tom Bergeron did, who, I think, was part of the reason why that version of Squares had a good 6-year run in syndication? Also, Marc stated that because he revealed he had OCD, producers thought he would have been difficult to work with, so they went with Tom. It's a shame we'll never know how he would have done.

Geoff Edwards was tapped to host Family Feud when it was being developed, but he was already committed to Shoot the Works for Bob Stewart on NBC, so he had to step down. As good a host as Geoff is, I don't know if he would have made the show such a phenomenon that's still with us today the way Richard Dawson did.

On the April Fool's 2003 episode of Hollywood Squares, Tom joked that "Suddenly turning down the job on Card Sharks doesn't seem like such a good idea," which makes me wonder if he was seriously considered to host the 2001 revival. If that's the case, at least having a good host would have made that somewhat tolerable to watch. But that also might have meant  Tom leaving Hollywood Squares (and it might have ended with him or soon after he left).

Gene Rayburn was supposedly in the running for Password Plus after Allen Ludden's retirement. I'm not saying he may have done better than Tom Kennedy but that would have been an interesting choice.

That's interesting to hear. No offense to Gene, who was phenomenal on Match Game, I think he would have been ill-fitting for Password Plus, which was a much more serious game. Tom played it straight ("French/France" incident notwithstanding) and was a fine successor to Allen.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:34:44 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
I would have liked to have seen a version of Price with either Dick Clark or Gene Rayburn at the helm. I think Rayburn would have been the only one who could have pulled it off like Barker did.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 12:48:59 AM »
Since about every single Feud host has either done standup comedy or starred in a sitcom, I wonder what it would be like if Ray Romano hosted the show (it would have to be after Everybody Loves Raymond went off the air, which it has been for 12 years!). Then they'd joke about having a second host with the same first name, like they did when Richard Karn was the emcee.

As for the Tom Bergeron comment, I don't think he would've done nearly as badly on the last Card Sharks as Pat Bullard.

And while we can all agree that Art Fleming was a great Jeopardy! host who carried the show well for 15 years, he wouldn't have been a good fit on the current version, because they always want to freshen up the franchise instead of bringing back old faces. Although... (and this is in an alternate universe!) ...I would've seen Bob Barker as a good fit for the 1984 Jeopardy! if he hadn't taken the TPIR job a decade before. Also, I thought Tom Kennedy was a good choice to host the nighttime TPIR that he would've done just as well on the daytime show; if not Tom, then Alex himself would've been my second choice for that. Bob Barker on Jeopardy! and Alex Trebek on TPIR: imagine that! :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:56:12 AM by Teddy »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
I'm not sure if Bob would've thrived on a game show like Jeopardy. He was so great with TPiR because of his ability to interact with contestants and Price has several contestants to interact with each show unlike most other game shows which only have 2 or 3 on one show. I could see him doing well with Let's Make a Deal if not for Monty Hall because it too has many contestants on each show to interact with, but a show like Jeopardy or another more traditional show where interaction with contestants is pretty limited would not have suited Bob well. Alex is also too "down to business" for a show like TPiR also.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
Marc Summers was a guest announcer on The Joker's Wild during the Cullen years. I wonder how he would have done on Tic Tac Dough if Enright went after him instead of Jim Caldwell. Speaking of The Joker's Wild, I doubt it would have lasted any longer that two more seasons with Peck hosting instead of Cullen (Remember, this was around the time Wheel started its dominance in the ratings).

My understanding is that Marc guest-announced on the CBS version in the mid-70s, when he worked as a page at Television City.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
and when searching for Marc Summers The Jokers Wild i came across this

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 11:21:59 PM »
I'm not sure if Bob would've thrived on a game show like Jeopardy. He was so great with TPiR because of his ability to interact with contestants and Price has several contestants to interact with each show unlike most other game shows which only have 2 or 3 on one show. I could see him doing well with Let's Make a Deal if not for Monty Hall because it too has many contestants on each show to interact with, but a show like Jeopardy or another more traditional show where interaction with contestants is pretty limited would not have suited Bob well. Alex is also too "down to business" for a show like TPiR also.
Maybe you're right, but the fact that Alex had the Goodson pedigree (from his days of hosting Double Dare and Classic Concentration) made me daydream that alternate scenario.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 06:14:09 AM »
I would love to see how Andy Richter would of hosted Family Feud before Steve Harvey came along.

Tom Kennedy did a great job on the nighttime Tpir he could of carried the daytime show fine. Had Barker retired in the 90s Doug Davidson would of done a great job taking over the day time show.

Todd Newton for Card Sharks. I think he could carry the show well.

I would like to see how Mclean Stevenson would of been if he hosted Match Game. I saw the episode where Gene let him host a show. I think if he took it more seriously he could of made the show fresh again. I thought the show was getting tired when they went to the blue set.

Tom Bergeron Who Wants to be a Millionaire

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »
Bill Cullen was actually considered for millionaire in 1999, until it was discovered that he passed away nine years earlier. Can't remember exactly where I read that.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »
Bill Cullen was actually considered for millionaire in 1999, until it was discovered that he passed away nine years earlier. Can't remember exactly where I read that.

I can't wrap my head around this. I would think many in the game show business would know he passed away years earlier when Millionaire was being developed for American audiences. Maybe that was one of those "so and so would have made a great host" stories.

Though, to be fair, Bill dropped out of the public spotlight after his final appearance on The $25,000 Pyramid in 1987 and seemed to live a private life until his death.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 08:47:05 AM »
Other than an "I'll bet Bill Cullen would be good at this game" type of reference, I can't imagine anyone would have given this any serious consideration.

I would love to see how Andy Richter would of hosted Family Feud before Steve Harvey came along.

Tom Kennedy did a great job on the nighttime Tpir he could of carried the daytime show fine. Had Barker retired in the 90s Doug Davidson would of done a great job taking over the day time show.

Todd Newton for Card Sharks. I think he could carry the show well.

I would like to see how Mclean Stevenson would of been if he hosted Match Game. I saw the episode where Gene let him host a show. I think if he took it more seriously he could of made the show fresh again. I thought the show was getting tired when they went to the blue set.

Tom Bergeron Who Wants to be a Millionaire

I'm normally not the grammar police, but man, substitute "have" everywhere you wrote "of" and it makes a lot more sense.  The expression is "would have" not "would of". 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:49:47 AM by isucgv »

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
Had Barker retired in the 90s Doug Davidson would of done a great job taking over the day time show.

I don't think Davidson would have fit the daytime version well. I think Ray Combs, had he not passed, would have been a hand-in-glove fit on the daytime version of Price. I'd have liked to have seen Mark Wahlberg hosting Price, as Dobkowitz said he liked Wahlberg the best of all who stepped up. Todd Newton would have been a good fit for Price as well IMO.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)