Author Topic: Announcement: Host Your Own Closes on 1/6/2017  (Read 36401 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Announcement: Host Your Own Closes on 1/6/2017
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
Howdy all,

For decisions made above my control, the Host Your Own section will be closed permanently on Friday, January 6, 2017. To say the least, I'm disappointed that this is happening, but the prime of Host Your Own passed before I took over the job. I've enjoyed moderating it and doing some shows myself, but the time has come to let this join GRECO and apeminkie into the realms of retirement.

I had meant for a while to do one more show before the section closed down forever, but graduate school life has kept me so busy that it just never came together. Life happens.

As it is, I thank everyone for playing and for letting Chelsea transition me from recapper to HYO moderator since I joined graduate school, but it was not meant to be. I appreciate everyone who has hosted, including the weekly pricing game version I tried, but after 7 weeks, there seemed to be no interest to continue. Thanks for your participation.

That said, the section will probably disappear from the main page on January 6, so if you have anything you want to save, this would be the time to check the threads.

Roadgeek Adam
HYO Moderator
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: Announcement: Host Your Own Closes on 1/6/2017
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:45:22 PM »
Allow me to say a eulogy for the Host Your Own section:

I remember the infancy of HYO on the original boards, as threads for single pricing game playings.  Someone (Frank15?) then had the foresight to start a full show, and from there the section exploded into maybe the most popular on the site.  Before long, I immersed myself into the section and hosted 16 consecutive shows.  Everyone for the most part behaved themselves, the section pretty much governed itself, and there were probably 10-15 shows going on concurrently at its height.  Unfortunately, like seemingly everything else on this site, the forum quieted down once the great Bob Barker left The Price is Right.

After 12 years, HYO has finally run its course.  As a 20-time Host and former Moderator, I bid a fond farewell.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:50:33 PM by Jordanar18 »

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:10:38 PM »
While this is indeed a sad time, I just want to say that I had lots of fun being able to take part in the HYO section. Back in 2008 (when I first came aboard), if someone were to tell me that I would be hosting 25 shows (which is the third-most behind only Frank15 and goldroadfanatic), I'd tell them they were crazy, but I sure had a blast. I still can't believe that my last show ended in a :dsw: and that was a mighty fine way to end what is apparently my career in HYO. However, you will still hear from me, mainly in putting in my own comments for the episode of the day, and doing the FPG, which will resume in Season 46. In other words, I am far from done, so there you go. In the words of another certain great entertainer named Bob, thanks for the memories.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:06:19 AM »
This is unfortunate, but I enjoyed taking part.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 01:21:00 AM »
To participate in these HYOs was something. To win one or even more in my case was extra something. It definitely has a special place in my heart and it's with great sadness that I will truly miss it deeply.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:06:56 AM »
Some fond memories,
Scott's adaptive budget Price is Right
My Lego show
The thrift store show, where winning the cash in Any Number was desirable
Hosting the Summer Weekly Pricing Game

Too bad it has to go. 
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
but the time has come to let this join GRECO and apeminkie into the realms of retirement.
I know the former was a combination of the FPG and bingo, but what was "apeminkie"?

That said, the section will probably disappear from the main page on January 6, so if you have anything you want to save, this would be the time to check the threads.
I suspect (or, at the very least, hope) it shall simply be moved to the Filing Cabinet.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
apeminkie is a member of the site, and the creator of GRECO.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »
Some fond memories,
Scott's adaptive budget Price is Right
My Lego show
The thrift store show, where winning the cash in Any Number was desirable
Hosting the Summer Weekly Pricing Game

Too bad it has to go.

And let's not forget the most infamous shows of all time, ilovesuperball's atrocities.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
I'd like to see this section at least remain accessible in a read-only format. A lot of hard work was put into these shows over the years, including a few I hosted myself, and it would be nice to still be able to view them moving forward.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 12:28:48 AM »
I'd like to see this section at least remain accessible in a read-only format. A lot of hard work was put into these shows over the years, including a few I hosted myself, and it would be nice to still be able to view them moving forward.
I'm all for that too!

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 01:16:38 AM »
Yeah, meant to ask about this for the sake of the site for some control, but it seems my answer has come before my question. Following the Eastern Time airing of The Price is Right, roughly 12PM-1PM, the HYO section will be moved in its entirety to the filing cabinet for any fun and future read-only access. Thank you all for being so cooperative with this decision! :)

~Jessica
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 02:16:00 AM »
I'm definitely with that as well!

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 01:10:15 AM »
I'm sad to see this board go. I was always hoping to get in one final show, a Million Dollar Spectacular, but yeah, never really got off the ground. I wasn't the first to do a full episode (it might've been leafy? Don't remember for sure), but I did popularize them, and really made this a fun board to be! But then life happens, and I wasn't able to continue doing shows (well, maybe I could have, but it was getting to be more difficult). It was a lot of fun, though, having someone break Range Game, having someone break contestants' row, getting an exact showcase bid, playing 6-digit Three Strikes before the actual show did, and of course, the expensive pens.

And yes, I remember ilovesuperball's shows :oldlol:.

Ah well. It was fun while it lasted!

Offline CheckGameMeBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Check Game: Woefully Misunderstood Since 1981
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 01:33:28 AM »
I sure am thankful to have participated in a fair amount of HYOs and having a winning record in the times that I made the fabulous showcases.

My most memorable moment was either being a double showcase winner during a Million Dollar Spectatcular (I think it was hosted by Teddy or CorneliusCarter) or winning a Corvette on 3 Strikes.  A memorable but disappointing one was coming up $7 short in Mystery Price and losing a nice bedroom.   :oldevil:  Side note: A 5-1 record in the Fabulous Showcases is a great winning percentage.

Regardless, many good times definitely had in this section with the beautiful people of golden road.  I will miss it, and this is a good reminder that nothing lasts forever.  Rest in piece, Host Your Own board.  Thanks for the memories.
President, Return Rich Fields Campaign

Chairman, Buy or Sell Fan Club

HYO record: Coming or Going: 1-0.  Mystery Price: 0-1.  Squeeze Play: 1-0.  Flip Flop: 1-0.  Safe Crackers: 1-0, Buy or Sell: 1-0, 3 Strikes: 1-0, Card Game: 0-1, One Away: 1-0, Bonus Game: 1-0, Bump: 1-0, Switch?: 1-0, Double Prices, 1-0, Passcode: 0-1, Easy az 1,2,3: 1-0, Fabulous Showcases: 5-1. 

Total winnings: 1,548,521