Author Topic: Big Changes Likely to Come to NBC Daytime  (Read 2924 times)

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
Big Changes Likely to Come to NBC Daytime
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
I'm sure that most of you folks have heard the news about Megyn Kelly leaving FNC and going to NBC. As part of the deal she made with NBC, Kelly will host a daily talk show that will be aired on that network. Because there is zero chance that the NBC affiliates will give back another hour to the network, this means that NBC will have to axe one of its existing daytime programs.

Obviously, the fourth hour of the Today Show (with Kathie Lee and Hoda) is safe, given how well it's doing in the ratings. Thus, either Days of Our Lives or the third hour of Today will be cancelled. Logically, it seems that DOOL will be axed, since it has been floundering in the ratings for quite some time. I would be surprised if the third hour of Today was cancelled, since it still is more profitable for NBC than a soap opera.

It's interesting to see all the changes that have taken place in daytime television over the past decade. Without a doubt, CBS Daytime is in the best shape, as not one of its programs is doing poorly. CBS, of course, experienced a huge shakeup in 2009 & 2010 when Guiding Light and As the World Turns were cancelled and replaced with Let's Make a Deal and The Talk, respectively. Since that time, however, the CBS lineup has been remarkably stable, while ABC cancelled All My Children and One Life to Live, and has seen The View and General Hospital both experience ratings problems. (And while The Chew--which was AMC's replacement--is a profitable program, ABC aired OLTL's replacement--a show called The Revolution--for all of six months.)

Hypothetically speaking, if Megyn Kelly joined CBS instead of NBC, there's no doubt that LMAD would have gotten the axe (despite the fact that it's doing relatively well in the ratings). TPIR, Y&R, and B&B are three of the highest rated shows on daytime, so they are safe. And The Talk is pretty much immune from cancellation given that host Julie Chen is the wife of CBS CEO Les Moonves. (Furthermore, The Talk is doing well in the ratings, and--to the best of my knowledge--is a higher rated and more profitable program than is LMAD.) As a final matter, even though I strongly dislike many of the changes that have been made, I really do commend the current regime for maintaining TPIR's ratings success, since the show could have easily died without Bob.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:55:05 PM by BonusShell »

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Big Changes Likely to Come to NBC Daytime
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
Logically, it seems that DOOL will be axed, since it has been floundering in the ratings for quite some time. I would be surprised if the third hour of Today was cancelled, since it still is more profitable for NBC than a soap opera.

Reports are that it will, in fact, be the third hour of Today that is replaced.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
Reports are that it will, in fact, be the third hour of Today that is replaced.

Actually, I've read conflicting stories on this matter. Some are speculating that the third hour of Today will be scrapped, while other stories speculate that DOOL will be axed. As I stated earlier, my best guess is that DOOL will be cancelled given its poor ratings performance and the fact that it is less profitable for NBC than is the third hour of Today.

Regardless of which NBC show is cancelled, I personally think that it was a mistake for Kelly to have left FNC. Television history is full of examples of big name stars leaving successful gigs only to flop in their subsequent endeavors. Bob Barker, who achieved success twice, made a very smart decision back in the 1970s. As we all know, he continued to host Truth or Consequences during the first few years that TPIR was on CBS. Bob didn't leave his ToC gig until after TPIR had become a bona fide hit. (Obviously, Megyn didn't have the luxury of staying at FNC while working for NBC. Nevertheless, my point about Megyn taking a huge risk remains. And if Bob was forced to leave ToC back in 1972 in order to become host of TPIR, I seriously wonder if he would have taken that risk.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:45:39 PM by BonusShell »

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:22:16 AM »
The daytime television makeup in general has changed drastically since I was a kid.  Back then, soaps like Capitol, Santa Barbara, and All My Children dominated the early-mid afternoon.  ABC even had Ryan's Hope slotted in the 11:00am EST slot in direct competition with TPIR.  Much of the rest of the morning timeslots belonged to game shows and talk shows.  NBC had Wheel of Fortune, $ale of the Century, and Super Password, while ABC's gameshows included All Star Blitz, Trivia Trap, and Dawson's Family Feud. (which also aired in syndication at night).  Before Oprah Winfrey debuted in 1986, ABC used the 4-6pm hour occasionally for the Afterschool Specials,  while the other two networks delegated those two hours to local affiliates who in our market aired second run movies, or reruns of shows like Chico and the Man, WKRP in Cincinnati, Barney Miller or The Jeffersons.  Nowadays, it seems like there's much more news focused programming airing in daytime.  (NBC has 4 straight hours of Today, and the majority of affiliates have 12 noon newscasts and 2-3 hours of news starting sometimes as early as 4pm Eastern.)  Years ago, our locals would have the network news programs from 7-9am, then have a 1 minute update at noon and 5pm, only airing a full local newscast at 6pm.  Seemingly, NBC is going the more news direction with 4 hours of Today, a midday local newscast, and Megyn Kelly potentially replacing Days of Our Lives.  Thankfully, TPIR dominates it's timeslot at 11am and provides me with a good hour of playing along and memories before going to work...

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »
I hope her show works out on NBC, it seems like a lot of talk shows hosted by news anchors doesn't last long. Katie Couric and Meredith Vieira.

Offline david1964

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:16:33 AM »
It will be interesting whenever NBC makes the official announcement about Megyn's talk show and when will it air.  I just have this deep pit in my stomach that Days Of Our Lives will be cancelled.  If that happens, that will be the first time in my lifetime that there won't be a soap opera on a major network.  And that will make me very sad.  Daytime TV just isn't the same as it was when I was growing up in the mid to late 70s, when there was tons of game shows and tons of soaps to choose from. 

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:42:48 AM »
Replacing Days of Our Lives with a program hosted by Megyn Kelly is a bold move given the aforementioned failures of Couric and Vieira's shows, but if done properly, it could be a huge ratings success.

Her new show doesn't need to follow to template of other daytime talk shows. None of the networks currently have just a standard news show in their daytime lineups outside of their morning programs. IIRC, Megyn Kelly Live, her old daytime news show, performed quite well on Fox News -- eventually landing her the primetime slot she is now vacating. If she could anchor another show like that on NBC, perhaps trimmed back on politics a bit to broaden her appeal, it should do quite well.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:33 AM »
It will be interesting whenever NBC makes the official announcement about Megyn's talk show and when will it air.  I just have this deep pit in my stomach that Days Of Our Lives will be cancelled.  If that happens, that will be the first time in my lifetime that there won't be a soap opera on a major network.  And that will make me very sad.  Daytime TV just isn't the same as it was when I was growing up in the mid to late 70s, when there was tons of game shows and tons of soaps to choose from.
There are still three other soaps on network daytime--Bold & The Beautiful and Young & The Restless on CBS; General Hospital on ABC.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline david1964

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
I guess I  worded that wrong CCook,  I know there are other soaps still on, but what I was saying, that if Days is cancelled, this will be the first time that there won't be at least one soap on every major network. 

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
     Good grief, the last thing we need is yet ANOTHER lame talk show.