Author Topic: Bonus Game Question  (Read 3040 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
Bonus Game Question
« on: January 09, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »
With pure guessing, is the odds of winning Bonus Game 25 percent or 50 percent?

I know this might be a dumb question, but after trying to explain to a friend for a good five minutes during today's episode why I thought it was 50%, I just want to make sure I wasn't being an idiot.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: Bonus Game Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »
Only one SP can have the bonus attached to it, so the chances of winning are 25%. Nothing hurts more than when you get three right and still lose the game (when the SP with the bonus was the only one you missed).

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
Neither of these numbers sound right. 

If I go up to play the game and I just randomly guess higher or lower for each of the small prizes, it's conceivable that I could get them all wrong.  The probability of getting any one small prize right is 50% but you have to multiply that one probability by 4 to get the right answer.  I'm sure someone can check my math but wouldn't the random chance of winning this game be 1/16 ?

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
50% - and here's why.

The most important premise here is that the Bonus is placed before the game.  It does not take on a random position during the gameplay.  If we are OK with assuming this, then only one box matters during the gameplay - the box with the pre-determined BONUS.  The other 3 windows are.....well, window dressing.

So, assuming random guessing, the chance of winning is 50-50.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
50%, because, as sideshow said, the only window that has any bearing on the outcome of the game is the window which already contains the bonus. Although it occurs to me that even if the bonus window was randomly assigned, it would still work out to a 50% chance of winning.

25% is what the chance of winning would be if I presented you with four windows and said, "you have one opportunity to tell me which window has the bonus." But that's a different game altogether.

(If I wanted to be a jerk, I could point out that the 50%-by-random-guessing figure is assuming that "higher" and "lower" have been correct an equal number of times for the entire history of the game. I don't know whether that's the case.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
50% - and here's why.

The most important premise here is that the Bonus is placed before the game.  It does not take on a random position during the gameplay.  If we are OK with assuming this, then only one box matters during the gameplay - the box with the pre-determined BONUS.  The other 3 windows are.....well, window dressing.

So, assuming random guessing, the chance of winning is 50-50.

Of course.  Makes sense. 

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:41:07 PM »
You can get to the 50% a different and more complicated way, but one that it sometimes more easy to understand for some folks.  If you think of each small prize answer as being either right or wrong, then you do have 16 different possible outcomes (RRRR, RRRW, RRWR,.... WWWW).  But suppose the prize with the bonus attached to it is the third prize.  You'll see in the list of 16 possible outcomes that this happens exactly 8 times, or 50% of the time.

Same idea if you used a probability tree.