Author Topic: The NEW price is right ('94) episodes question  (Read 4248 times)

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
The NEW price is right ('94) episodes question
« on: January 12, 2017, 02:31:09 PM »
Were there any unaired episodes of the 1994 new price is right? It seems like a cancellation after only 16 weeks would leave a few episodes in the can but I can't seem to find any episode information about any unaired or if there were some how many there were.

Slightly modified title to include 1994 as the version in question - PTR
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:24:50 PM by PayingTheRent »

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: The NEW price is right ('94) episodes question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
From what I recall, in New York, new episodes of NEW Price ran through around Feb 95 so I am guessing all episodes aired as long as a market was still carrying the show.  Then I am guessing they ran reruns until they had something to replace it with.  Hope that helps.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:29:13 AM »
I don't think Doug Davidson's version ran at all in our local markets..Neither did Tom Kennedy's nighttime Price is Right from 1985...We only got the Bob Barker Thursday Night Specials from August of '86 and the later Million Dollar Specials and Salute to Military/Police/Firefighters/  specials...But I lived between two television markets and therefore we got daytime Price is Right twice during weekdays...Once at 11am (10am during the first half of 1992 and late 1993-early 94) and again at 4pm...Made it very interesting, because the two markets sometimes showed different episodes and one would have updates to the show before the other...One affiliate showed Bob's white hair a few weeks before the other...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
But I lived between two television markets and therefore we got daytime Price is Right twice during weekdays...Once at 11am (10am during the first half of 1992 and late 1993-early 94) and again at 4pm...Made it very interesting, because the two markets sometimes showed different episodes and one would have updates to the show before the other...One affiliate showed Bob's white hair a few weeks before the other...

I find that hard to believe -- the show has a set schedule, and while it's known that at least one market in Missouri was airing the show on a one-day delay for a while many years ago, I can't see CBS sending out different episodes that are supposed to be weeks removed from one another to different stations for no discernible reason.  Which markets are we talking about here, anyway?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 12:44:10 AM »
I lived between Buffalo, New York and Toronto, Ontario...WIVB aired TPIR at the usual time, while CFTO 9 in Toronto aired TPIR at 4pm...

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 07:07:37 AM »
I lived between Buffalo, New York and Toronto, Ontario...WIVB aired TPIR at the usual time, while CFTO 9 in Toronto aired TPIR at 4pm...

For one season (1993-94) WIVB in Buffalo carried TPiR one hour earlier at 10AM to accommodate the short-lived Les Brown talk show. A side effect of this was that CHCH in Hamilton, ON moved Price as well. That started the first week of September 1993. It moved back to 11AM September 1994.

Buffalo did air Tom Kennedy's PIR for a full season at 7:30PM on WIVB. No affiliate in Buffalo aired the Doug Davidson PIR.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:13:27 AM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 07:20:56 AM »
Alfonzo, was there any difference you can remember between which episodes the two stations were airing?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
If you're talking about the episodes in Buffalo and Hamilton? The same episode. In fact, I was in a college dorm that year and would watch the episodes on the Hamilton feed because of the better reception.

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:58:29 AM »
Alfonzo:  Thank you for the information on Tom Kennedy's TPIR airing in our market...I don't remember seeing it at all back then, but since it aired at 7:30, it conflicted with Jeopardy! on WKBW...Also I didn't know that a talkshow was the reason we saw TPIR an hour earlier than the rest of the country in 1993-94...I also remember the show coming on an hour earlier at some point during the winter of 1992 (but this may have been due to CBS carrying the Albertville Olympics)...Prior to the CHCH simulcasts, which did air the same episodes on a given day as WIVB, CFTO had the rights to TPIR in the GTA, I believe from about 1986-1989 or 90...I vividly remember it because I saw Bob Barker's first white haired episode on a late afternoon airing on that channel in 1987, just before my mother and I took a trip to Arizona...And I remember being confused after seeing Bob's hair was still brown on the WIVB showings just after we came back from our trip...Upon seeing this, I initially thought Bob Barker had returned to take back his show from the "white haired imposter" who I presumed had "taken over the show" from him.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 06:48:30 AM »
Yes, in Buffalo Tom Kennedy's PIR was in direct completion with Jeopardy! WKBW moved Jeopardy! to 7:30 to give Headline Chasers its old 5:30PM time slot. Jeopardy! replaced the cancelled Family Feud.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
To add to above: In 1993 the daytime game show was all but dead on network television and daytime tabloid talk shows were taking over. In September 1993 our ABC affiliate WKBW stopped showing the Home show to air an Oprah Winfrey rip-off The Bertice Berry Show at 11AM. CBS affiliate countered this with The Les Brown Show, moving Price to 10AM. Both shows bombed after three months and were replaced with other talks shows (Ricki Lake on WKBW and Rolanda on WIVB). Ricki started to whip Rolanda in the ratings, so Price moved back to its old time slot in the fall and Rolanda took the 10AM slot Price vacated.

Just a little factoid from a time in which it might seem that Price was on its way to cancellation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:29:12 AM by Alfonzo »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »
I still have trouble believing that a station in Canada would have gotten TPIR episodes in a different order from CBS -- that just strikes me as causing unnecessary work.

Promoman, Axl, anyone else who's actually in broadcasting...does this make any sense to you guys?

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 07:03:51 PM »
Actually, it looks like scrambled childhood memories... In fact, Canadian stations always picked-up live CBS feeds and subed the ads (with alot of timing issues!). The only time I recall a brodcast from master tapes was during the second Irak war, the CH network that had Price back then had about a week of reruns with the full credit roll while CBS was in live news report.

Offline tonygrace

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 12:06:50 AM »
The schedule confusion doesn't make sense to me either, and I also grew up watching TPIR on two stations:  an American station, WROC-TV Rochester at 11am, and a Canadian station in my hometown, CHRO-TV Pembroke, Ontario at 5pm.  As far as I remember, the 5pm broadcast on CHRO was the exact one that aired on WROC that morning.  (I seem to remember this from being "home sick" a few times)

Offline tonygrace

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 12:09:16 AM »
Incidentally, CHRO-TV Pembroke also aired the Davidson TnPIR, and since it was a Canadian station, it never got interrupted for OJ Simpson coverage.  I remember it airing from September 1994 - February 1995.