Author Topic: Newer Gameshows... yay?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Newer Gameshows... yay?
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:19:19 AM »
I have noticed there are quite a few gameshows being introduced or starting to the US this year and last. We have The Wall for NBC, Divided and Winsanity for GSN, and... Big Fan for ABC? And then we have all of the reboots that ABC made (Match Game, To Tell the Truth, $100k Pyramid, I think I am missing one).

Have any of them appealed to you? Maybe it is just me, but I feel like I haven't seen a good, new gameshow in a while. To be fair, I haven't seen the rebooted $100k Pyramid, but I am a little turned off because of some of the forced crude humor Match Game has, but I just don't have the same feel as TPIR or Jeopardy or LMAD.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Newer Gameshows... yay?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 05:53:52 AM »
Actually I've been quite pleased with the ABC reboots...even To Tell the Truth because at least the basic premise is still there and I know I'm in the minorty here by saying I don't mind Anthony Anderson and Mama Doris. Match Game has been a blast for me (Alec Baldwin's hosting has been surprisingly great in my humble opinion) and Pyramid with Michael Strahan has been excellent as well. Your mileage may vary.

I am concerned with Gong Show coming up from ABC (Not a true game show in my opinion, but stil...) for two reasons. First, I don't know if today's TV audience will get the joke that Gong Show was in the 70s (The show was mocking the concept of talent shows, NOT the contestants who knew what they were getting into when they auditioned to be on it.) Second, in this post-American Idol age, the novelty of bad acts has quite gone away. Furthermore I don't think we need another forum for wannabe celebrities who will do almost ANYTHING to get their fifteen minutes of fame and get what they think will be their big break.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:56:13 AM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »
And then we have all of the reboots that ABC made (Match Game, To Tell the Truth, $100k Pyramid, I think I am missing one).

I don't think you are - the To Tell the Truth was separated, and Match Game and Pyramid ran with episodes of Celebrity Family Feud, which isn't so much a reboot as a version of the still existing regular Family Feud game that has been around in many versions.

Offline SBarsodo

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
The two best game shows I have seen, in my opinion are The $100,000 Pyramid and To Tell The Truth.

The $100,000 Pyramid still retains the classic feel it had with Dick Clark, and although some of the rules changed and there is no money on the line, To Tell the Truth still remains one of my favorites.  To me I think Mama Doris is a great asset to the show.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »
$100,000 Pyramid is the best of the ABC reboots. Michael Strahan's hosting was great and the celebrities and contestants interacted well. The judging is a little more lenient than previous versions, but it is definitely better than the Donny Osmond version. I like the new Match Game, especially Alec Baldwin's hosting but the celebrities can get annoying and the contestants they've had haven't been the brightest. To Tell the Truth is alright but I feel like there's not enough time given for each segment so it's hard to have any real idea who is the truth teller. I like Anthony Anderson's hosting and it keeps the basic essence of the previous versions. For the other networks, I didn't really like The Wall because it's just dull in my opinion. Winsanity and Divided are good, but Winsanity is more flash than substance and Divided feels too cheap because of how the payment works.

I agree Alfonzo about the Gong Show reboot. I don't think showcasing people with no actual talent will work. If ABC wanted to make a real talent show to compete with The Voice and America's Got Talent fine, but the Gong Show isn't the way to do it.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:39:54 PM »
I really enjoyed last summer's revivals of both $100K Pyramid and Match Game as well.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
They did a really good job with Pyramid, Michael is a good host and they used good celebs. This version is a lot better then the GSN version

Match Game is ok Alec is too dependent on the cue cards and the show tries too hard to push the envelope to the point it gets annoying and not funny.

Family Feud- is just Family Feud i always skip it when it comes on.

TTTT- I seen half an episode and got annoyed by it.

The Wall-Typical Nbc Game show, didn't really care for it.

I did like Gsn show hellevator that show is good. I wish GSN would post more episodes on youtube.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:59:34 PM »
I just watched The Wall for the first time tuesday night, and it seemed like an ok show, but definitely not the best.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
I loved the first episode of Match Game from this year which had Jason Alexander, Cheryl Hines, Ice T, Ellie Kemper, Wayne Brady, Caroline Rhea.   It was pretty much a perfect lineup for humour and I would gladly watch Match Game every week if they were the panel most weeks.   Unfortunately some of the other panels have paled in comparison which hurts the show.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 06:47:34 PM »
One thing that would be smart for Pyramid,Match Game and Gong Show is bring out some of the past panelists as a nod to the original runs where possible...imagine Betty White sitting in the Third Chair on the Second Tier as opening during the opening credits....and given the more risque nature of this version of Match Game....i can see Betty White getting away with awnsers a Kathy Griffith couldn't get away with as an example...it's throwing a bone to those in their Mid Forties or older who watched /grew-up with the original versions of the shows

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
For ABC, I give them solid marks on all of the revivals. I'm also in the camp that Anthony Anderson and "Mama" are not detrimental--to the contrary, quite funny and aligned with the show as designed. This season, the rotating panel has ben a marked improvement over just one rotating chair, and a lackluster semi-permanent group. (All due respect to Betty White and props for decades of amazing work, but it just wasn't that entertaining week after week any longer). Match Game surpassed my expectations. Baldwin has been a great foil for the panel--and the panels have generally been solid. Genuinely funny on a consistent basis. And Pyramid was a delight all around. Very well done.

As for The Wall...meh is about all I can say. I don't dislike it, as there's nothing terribly wrong with it for what it is. Kind of a Deal or No Deal version 2.0--except at least this time there is some measure of skill involved with the person answering the questions. (Some...at least more than randomly picking numbers.) It seems like a harmless enough distraction.

I never liked the Gong Show. I got it--but hated it anyway. A new version doesn't interest me in the least, but if they can make it work, more power to them.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:28 PM »
The Pyramid revival was long overdue, and while Michael Strahan is no Dick Clark, he's still an enjoyable host. Same goes for Anthony Anderson on TTTT; then again, Bud Collyer never brought his mother on the show either. As for Match Game, Alec Baldwin is nowhere near as funny as Gene Rayburn, and the panel is sorely lacking there as well; give me Charles Nelson Reilly, Brett Somers and Richard Dawson any day.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 12:01:25 AM »
given the more risque nature of this version of Match Game....i can see Betty White getting away with awnsers a Kathy Griffith couldn't get away with as an example

Gotta throw this in the mix... I wonder how much of that would be because she's 95 years old.  (95!  God bless her!)
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.