Author Topic: January 22, 1976 (1774D)  (Read 937 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
January 22, 1976 (1774D)
« on: February 11, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiP7tNqmLnc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiP7tNqmLnc</a>

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: January 22, 1976 (1774D)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »
What a treat!  Thanks for the link.

You get an appreciation for just how fast-moving the crew had to be when you see the turntable shifting around during Golden Road to get it ready for Grocery Game.

That sight of Bob skipping down the Golden Road was too funny for words.

I'm trying to think of another time a pricing game prize was revealed in front of the Row as it was for Grocery Game, and no others are coming to me.

Speaking of Golden Road, I love how they'd dress fur coat winners back in the day immediately after winning them.

Rose's puny first spin got counted, and she got deprived of the dollar she should have been scored in her first qualifying spin.  Seeing as nobody picked up on it fast enough to get her back on stage, I'm wondering if anybody did.

Speaking of the Showcase Showdown, while it wasn't intentional, I rather enjoyed the effect of the lights reflecting off the spinning wheel.

Really dig that wide shot of the audience at the top of act 5.

So, who was Mary the third model?  I know I've seen other shows from around this time period, but I can't remember if she was there or not.

Seventeen times to the show, and it was only 1975!  I was disappointed Beverly didn't get out of the Row.

I cry foul on Jay for such a setup on the SP portion of Five Price Tags.  I'm trying to wonder if such shenanigans lasted much longer, or if it wasn't under Roger became producer that you'd never see a stunt such as all-true in Five Price Tags.

Does anybody know what's the latest the curtain reveal was shown in Poker Game?

Is anybody able to explain why the credits were coloured blue?  Evidently they were in their usual white print on the cards since, well, we got to see the G-T card.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. Itís the game, stupid! (Itís about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline NicholasM79

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Local News Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
Is anybody able to explain why the credits were coloured blue?  Evidently they were in their usual white print on the cards since, well, we got to see the G-T card.

Simple.  Probably just adjusting the color settings on the matte in the switcher.  They did that a lot during this era.
Nicholas Mooneyhan
Co-owner The Daytime TV Schedule Archive

Offline BillyGr

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »
Everyone thinks that they do a lot of trips in showcases now (or at least that seems to be a fairly common comment)?

The one showcase awarded FIVE weeks worth of trips, with four of those being connected (one place to the next to the next to the next).  Now, I don't know if they did that often or not, but at least it's not a totally new idea.

Offline mellongraig

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
Here's some other things I've noticed:

The split screen shot for the showcase showdown came into use by this point (was in use by January 20), however the beeping sound effect is still the same one as it was on the first permanent hour long show.

Always nice to see a rare episode like this (slate and all).

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:01:30 PM »
So, who was Mary the third model?  I know I've seen other shows from around this time period, but I can't remember if she was there or not.

That would be Mary Poms, who was also on Catch Phrase, Temptation and Wizard of Odds.

http://www.gameshowfame.com/people/poms_mary.htm
Visit tpirmodels.com today! You'll be glad you did!