Author Topic: Reading the wrong card  (Read 7201 times)

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
Reading the wrong card
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
So I got thinking about the time last year when Steve Harvey messed up the Miss Universe pageant, and now with the Oscars, what about the times it's happened on Price? I remember hearing once in like 2002 or so they played Triple Play, but after the fact they realized there was a mess up in the one-bids and the wrong contestant played. It was one of the only times they edited out a mistake. I have seen it happen more recently with Drew but he would usually correct himself very quickly and just proceed like usual. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Reading the wrong card
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »
I remember the wrong contestant coming up on stage before 2002.  It was the first one bid and the audience was still so excited about the opening and start of the show that they were yelling bids and clapping and Bob/producers mis-heard one of the bids and the wrong contestant came up to play the first game.  Bob explained the mishap after the commercial break and awarded the game #1 prizes to the person who should have been on stage, and let the wrong on-stage contestant go back to bidders' row.  I believe she was back on stage to play another pricing game making history as the first contestant to play two pricing games in the same show!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »
An incident in November 1992, Bob read the ARP card as $1,350 and called up the wrong contestant to collect a $100 bonus. The correct podium was flashing $1,300 and Rod had called attention to Bob that he had the wrong contestant on stage. The contestant surrendered her $100 bonus and the correct contestant made her way on stage. To end this mishap on a happy note, the wrong contestant wound up winning her own $100 bonus later on in the show.

Another incident similar to the post above, from February 1993, a contestant made a bid and Bob misheard it and the display showed what Bob had misinterpreted. She ended up winning and getting on stage as a result and winning her pricing game. After commercial Bob explained what had happened and the contestant who should've won her way on stage was awarded the prizes and asked to sit over in the audience and wait to spin the big wheel. The one who mistakenly was on stage was also awarded the prizes and returned to contestant's row to legitimately win her way on stage.

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »
There's also an instance, so I remember reading, where Bob pulled out the IUFB card & started to read/mumble the price.

The card he was reading was actually the ARP of one of the showcases. Tape was stopped, Bob was given the correct card and the eventual showcase winner was really close to the ARP of their showcase.

I may be remembering parts of it wrong but I'm 100% confident that someone will be quick to point out my error(s).

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
^ That's all accurate. From the episode summary for May 4, 2001 on Scorpz's site:

"According to Chistopher Bogart (who was at the taping of this show), atthe 6th IUFB Bob had the price of the first showcase and not the price of the Executive Desk Set. So, when Bob revealed the price of the 6th IUFB, he said "Seventeen". He stopped himself, realising the mistake. They then stopped taping and got the real price. Everyone in the studio knew what the wrong price was for. Cliffton bid $17,000 on his showcase and won. Why Alma passed that showcase I have no idea. Don't believe it? You can clearly hear it, thanks to lousy editing. Bob says "Ssss... 805".

Clifton ended up being only $390 off and won.

Offline Trivia Trap

• Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »
I just watched an episode from the 80s or 90s (I think 90s, 97 rings a bell but I might be wrong, not good with dates) where Rod Roddy read off the pricing game's prizes instead of the IUFB, in the tone of an IUFB the other night. "It's a barbecue and a new car.........pause...short laughter, (then he read off the details of a table)".

Not the same, but something of the same ilk.

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 07:20:41 PM »
I just watched an episode from the 80s or 90s (I think 90s, 97 rings a bell but I might be wrong, not good with dates) where Rod Roddy read off the pricing game's prizes instead of the IUFB, in the tone of an IUFB the other night. "It's a barbecue and a new car.........pause...short laughter, (then he read off the details of a table)".

Not the same, but something of the same ilk.

April 10, 1998. Rod mistakenly read the prizes for that IUFB's pricing game, 2 for the Price of 1.

And this technically isn't a card but Bob's major error on November 8, 1993's Showcase Showdown qualifies. When the first contestant's second spin landed on 25, he mistakenly saw 70 cents and added them up instead of his original first spin of 75. No one in the studio ever noticed that he had the dollar all along.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but one of the clips from Carlos' large collection that I'll always remember was when the overbid buzzers sounded during an IUFB, but Bob didn't hear it and was ready to go on reading the ARP. From that point, you could hear Fingers offstage frantically screaming at the top of her lungs to get Bob's attention. He fortunately noticed her and stopped short of reading the card.

Not exactly reading the wrong card, but almost reading the right card at the wrong time.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
April 10, 1998. Rod mistakenly read the prizes for that IUFB's pricing game, 2 for the Price of 1.

And this technically isn't a card but Bob's major error on November 8, 1993's Showcase Showdown qualifies. When the first contestant's second spin landed on 25, he mistakenly saw 70 cents and added them up instead of his original first spin of 75. No one in the studio ever noticed that he had the dollar all along.
Talk about a :dig: that went terribly wrong!

I think this would definitely qualify: During Drew Carey's first (or was it his second?) season as host, Rich Fields calls down a contestant, but Drew alerts him to the fact that said contestant is already in Contestants' Row, and they buzz Rich for the mistake, prompting Drew to mock him with the losing horns tune. This is easily the funniest instance of being buzzed (especially when it clearly has nothing to do with the actual gameplay), and a clever use of it too.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but one of the clips from Carlos' large collection that I'll always remember was when the overbid buzzers sounded during an IUFB, but Bob didn't hear it and was ready to go on reading the ARP. From that point, you could hear Fingers offstage frantically screaming at the top of her lungs to get Bob's attention. He fortunately noticed her and stopped short of reading the card.

Not exactly reading the wrong card, but almost reading the right card at the wrong time.
Almost reminds me of one episode where they had three perfect bids in one show. On the first, Bob almost didn't hear the perfect bid bells, so they played the DSW siren to get his attention (with Bob joking "the last time I heard that, was the last time I was arrested."). Second time, someone plays the "all overbid" buzzer in error before hitting the correct sound. On the third, they finally get the correct sound, and Bob hears it! (And then Bob jokes, "Rod, you better print up some more $100 bills!").

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »
I believe Rich had his own "barbecue and a new car" moment in I think season 37, maybe season 38.

There was also an episode in season 27 where Bob accidently gave the contestant playing Lucky $even the five $100 bills for perfect bids rather than the seven $1 bills. I remember this happening late in Bob's run too either season 34 or 35, but I can't find when.

Offline ssetta

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 12:06:23 AM »
I believe Rich had his own "barbecue and a new car" moment in I think season 37, maybe season 38.

It was actually late in season 36. I think it was June 26 or 27, 2008. I remember Rich announced the IUFB as a "new upright piano," but it was actually a refrigerator. Drew commented about it after the description and said they would probably edit it out, but they didn't. The upright piano was the prize for the following Pricing game.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »
Another incident similar to the post above, from February 1993, a contestant made a bid and Bob misheard it and the display showed what Bob had misinterpreted. She ended up winning and getting on stage as a result and winning her pricing game. After commercial Bob explained what had happened and the contestant who should've won her way on stage was awarded the prizes and asked to sit over in the audience and wait to spin the big wheel. The one who mistakenly was on stage was also awarded the prizes and returned to contestant's row to legitimately win her way on stage.

If I remember correctly, the game that was played by the wrong contestant in 2/93 was Most Expensive.

Also, I remember when they played L7 with $100 bills that one time.   It was not until the contestant won the game on the last number, and had to pay her $1 for the car, that Bob figured out she had too few "bills" in her hand.

^ That's all accurate. From the episode summary for May 4, 2001 on Scorpz's site:

"According to Chistopher Bogart (who was at the taping of this show), atthe 6th IUFB Bob had the price of the first showcase and not the price of the Executive Desk Set. So, when Bob revealed the price of the 6th IUFB, he said "Seventeen". He stopped himself, realising the mistake. They then stopped taping and got the real price. Everyone in the studio knew what the wrong price was for. Cliffton bid $17,000 on his showcase and won. Why Alma passed that showcase I have no idea. Don't believe it? You can clearly hear it, thanks to lousy editing. Bob says "Ssss... 805".
For the $17,000 showcase, I'm surprised they didn't swap out a prize to change the price to $16k or $18k but in those days they didn't do a lot of editing or long stopdowns unless they really had to.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
I'll comment on this more when it airs, but a taping that I went to this month pretty much had what the OP was referring to - someone mixed up the two showcase ARPs, and it was not realized until after Drew read the first one off.

Smaller mistake, but a different taping had them mix up the top runner and the runner up in the showcase - this was realized after the first showcase was presented, so it didn't affect anything.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
Smaller mistake, but a different taping had them mix up the top runner and the runner up in the showcase - this was realized after the first showcase was presented, so it didn't affect anything.
They got lucky that time. There's a video I'd seen (I believe it was one of the last with Janice and Kathleen, and one of Paul Alter's last shows as director), where they present both showcases (and get a bid on the first one), before realizing the top winner and runner up were in the wrong order. This video also had the booth audio, and you could tell that the staff wasn't too thrilled at having to retape the entire showcase segment over again.