Author Topic: What's the oldest pricing game design currently in use?  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Going Back in Time: The G-R Mantra
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: What's the oldest pricing game design currently in use?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »
A couple of us tried to figure this out a while ago, and I seem to recall Freeze Frame sticking out.
CSS Champion - Season IX (Part II)
G-R Recapper - Season 44 (Part I)

And if you win that trip, you travel to the end of the Golden Road, where we have the most expensive prize ever offered on Golden Road.net!!!! IT IS MORE THAN $481,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wild cheering and applause) LOOK WHAT WE HAVE AT THE END OF THE GOLDEN ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF TAHITI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your whole family will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Tahiti where you'll sign a deed to a 2-mile across, 2-mile wide island 25 miles off the coast of Tahiti. This island includes a beachouse and more! And if you win this island, you'll recieve A NEW CADILLAC XLR CONVERTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SamJ93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »
Did everyone forget about Now....or Then? Aside from the name change, it still looks exactly the same as it did 36 years ago!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Now or Then underwent a redesign late last season.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
Bullseye, from its second playing in September of '76.
Besides the number indicating the ranges (which probably need another update), it's all the same.

"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »
A couple of us tried to figure this out a while ago, and I seem to recall Freeze Frame sticking out.

Has anything changed on Magic #?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 05:49:25 PM »
I believe Side by Side has not undergone any alterations, barring staging.

Besides the number indicating the ranges (which probably need another update), it's all the same.
Not entirely. At some point, the arrow became a darker shade of green and the portions of the black circles on it were widened to match the portion on the target. See the below episode from 1986 for an example of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvk6kTMyKw&t=30m56s

Race game is pretty close, debuting in 1974.
Not quite. The asterisks behind the tag holders were not present until the 1980s, there was a second handle on the opposite side of the jukebox (I believe it was removed in the 1980s), and the tags originally used magnets (changed to the standard method in Spring or Summer 1975).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:00:08 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »

Not quite. Somewhere between '84 and '86 the green area was darkened and the black circles on the board were widened to match the rest of the board.

EDIT: Looks like Guy and me both picked up on this about the same time :P

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Now or Then underwent a redesign late last season.

Not only that, but if you check some of its earlier playing the color wedges were in different positons.

EDIT: Also, the "feet" of the set were originally orange.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:35:40 PM by Alfonzo »

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline goldroadfanatic

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Peace, man.
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
Not quite. The asterisks behind the tag holders were not present until the 1980s, there was a second handle on the opposite side of the jukebox (I believe it was removed in the 1980s), and the tags originally used magnets (changed to the standard method in Spring or Summer 1975).

In this playing, from April 2, 1991, the second jukebox handle was still present. It was gone by December 1991.

Also, I don't know if anyone noted this, a black outline was added around the clock display sometime in the late Barker era, as seen in this Season 31 playing.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline themountainclimber

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
Switch is the same, isn't it?

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
Switch is the same, isn't it?

yes, but it's 1992 debut makes it "new-ish" in my book
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
Here's one I'm actually surprised none of you have said, Cliffhangers. I know it's had minor touch ups through the years, it has never had a redesign.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »
Well, the initial set did not have the twenty-five numbers on the steps on the mountain. I wouldn't call that minor.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 12:14:28 AM »
Well, the initial set did not have the twenty-five numbers on the steps on the mountain. I wouldn't call that minor.
The initial set also had four small prize podiums, with the prize labels in a different position (the latter of which can be seen here).
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline david1964

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 01:28:39 AM »
Hole in One and The Grand Game come to mind.  They're designs haven't changed all that much.