Author Topic: What's the oldest pricing game design currently in use?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: What's the oldest pricing game design currently in use?
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2017, 10:57:07 PM »
Lucky $even is pretty much consistent, with one color change and two font changes (not including the sign itself, which originally read out "Lucky Seven").

If I'm not mistaken, they had to remove the cityscape on Master Key when they made the door border for home base since it would hit it.
The same was also true for Now...or Then, as they had to modify the signage just to avoid running into that problem.

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
Well, according to the FAQ here, it says Bonus game is the oldest set. It probably hasn't been edited since they added the screens.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Avast
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
The Bonus Game board itself is still the original from 1972 so that would make it the oldest set still in use.  Replacing the blue windows with a monitor simply means the technology is newer, not the board itself.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
The Bonus Game board itself is still the original from 1972 so that would make it the oldest set still in use.  Replacing the blue windows with a monitor simply means the technology is newer, not the board itself.

It is possible they built a completely new prop. The original had 45 years of several layers of paint and stucco on it. It may have been easier just to build a new frame, rather than re-purpose the original.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Avast
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »
Sure they could have built a new one but it seems unlikely.  I would imagine it would be fairly easy to mount a TV inside a wooden box once you remove what essentially amounts to 4 light sockets covered by pieces of blue plastic. (or whatever the windows were made of)  It's also within reason to think they'd use either paint stripper or a sander to remove the old paint if necessary.

The actual retail price is...

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:59 AM »
My guess would go to Bonus Game, though Race Game is a close second though the fonts on the price tags were slightly altered, and the background music was different prior to December 1991...Make Your Move is the most unaltered pricing game, the only changes I can think of besides the two three digit prizes setup from early in its life were that once the contestant set the prices, but prior to the reveal, Bob used to point to each guess, and the bell would ring as the price of that prize was lit up and locked in.  That practice was around until about 1993, as too many contestants and people in the audience would mistake this for the selection being right...

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 02:03:52 AM »
Oooh, this is getting more posts.  To the post above, in this thread, every single detail was counted, so the fonts changing in Race Game counted as a redesign, and Bonus Game got New electronic screens recently instead of blue backlights. In hinesight, I think the answer is Do the Math, but if you count a single pencil not standing up anymore as a major set design, then Vend-O-Price (Yes, I said earlier that a knob broke, but that isn't a set redesign... unless they reinforced the knobs).

I actually don't believe that we firmly answered the second part, involving the longest time since the redesign. I am willing to think it is Make your Move, by I honestly haven't looked it up yet, or thought about this topic for a while. Blind guessing, I would say Shell Game, because you can only change the table so many times, and I think it has been the same table for at least 7 seasons (Someone fact check me).
My favorite game is Clock Game and my least favorite is Switcheroo, because reasons.

Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.

Offline priac

• In the Audience
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2017, 08:40:05 AM »
Safecrackers?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
Looking back, Shell game is definitely out, because the ball changed in Season 42. Looking at the timeline, Safe Crackers changed its sign in week 11 of season 14, which would outdate the change back to the 2 digit rules for move, but if we are going by the rules of this thread, the envelope for Safe changed in season 37.
My favorite game is Clock Game and my least favorite is Switcheroo, because reasons.

Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.