Author Topic: Socially Awesome Week - Guess This Thursday's (04/06/17) Lineup! (Not FPG)  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
A press release recently revealed the plans for all of this week, and Thursday's plans seemed most interesting. Allow me to paraphrase:

The show will recreate an entire lineup from the show from 1983 - prizes and games - while seemingly updating the prizes to more modern equivalents.

A few users have combed through the lists of 1983 lineups from sources such as Jay's and Scorpz's sites, and I figured this would turn into a fun little discussion for a few days.

What lineup will they use?
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
So are they going to be using vintage games for #TBT or Throwback Thursday? Or will it be 6 modern games? Or do we not know?

The suspense is killing me.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Borrow SuperBall from Bob Boden and get a celebrity to play The Phone Home Game.

Picking a safe lineup, looking quickly at lineups, is difficult.  Lots of retired games (Super Ball, Phone Home, Trader Bob, Penny Ante, Poker Game) and timing issues - I saw one lineup where the first two games were Super Ball and 3 Strikes +!!!
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
The timing issues problem is a good point. As I look at some random 1983 lineups from Scorpz's calendars, it appears that adapting a 1983 lineup to 2017 standards results in a lineup that's one minute too long. That's not insurmountable, but it does mean that they're going to have to really rush things and/or do some heavy editing, especially if they plan to show clips or still images from the original 1983 episode.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
I would assume they won't repeat games from other lineups this week, which would cut down the possible lineups from 1983.

A lineup like this would be doable from a timing point:

#4855D - - - - - - - 25/3/83
Lucky Seven
Clock Game
Pick a Pair
1 Right Price
Master Key
Range Game

[edit: just noticed that was Master Key's premiere]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:54:57 PM by brosa0 »

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
What would it take to bring back a retired game? The Master Key premiere is very well likely going to be the one, as there were a lot of retired games that were around back then.

I'm hoping to be surprised, but expecting nothing too outstanding.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
What would it take to bring back a retired game?

To do it well, a ton of time, money, and labor. To do it half-assed, some slapped together graphics and a big screen.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Interesting idea, I wonder why 1983 in particular. I would guess they'd use a show with Now or Then as one of the games and have the Then date be when the show was from originally, even though that would likely make it really easy to spot the Then products.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
This would be a fun concept, although I don't see any old games being brought back soon. Granted, the current Time is Money is basically a recycled version of the Season 32 game, but I still think that they should go with what is currently there, like the example cited from 3/25/83.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
To do it half-assed, some slapped together graphics and a big screen.

Would it really be such a bad thing if, say, they used this to play Hurdles?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
I wouldn't even mind Penny Ante on a Double Cross-style touch screen.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director

I, for one, would be thrilled!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road

To me, that would be the complete opposite of a bad thing! :)

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
Here's My Guess: #4992 , 9/13/83
Lucky Seven
Punch a Bunch
Race Game
1 Right Price
Dice Game ( or Deluxe Dice Game as it was originally called )
Now....or Then ( or Now....and Then as it was originally called )

It would be a good game lineup to use.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
How far would they carry the theme of Throwback Thursday?

By picking an episode that originally aired on a Thursday?

Or even the one that aired in 1983 on the same date (4/6 - which was, unfortunately a Wednesday)?  Not sure what that one had for games - doesn't look to be listed in a recapped format, so it's hard to know if it's even possible.