Author Topic: What happened to the Plinko inflation?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
What happened to the Plinko inflation?
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:40:40 AM »
I've noticed that not a single playing of Plinko since 2/3 has had the new dollar amounts. This makes me wonder if that single playing was just a mistake and they went with it. A lot of episodes aired since then were taped after that one was. So I guess maybe they bagged that whole idea? If so, that's a shame. I kind of liked the inflation.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: What happened to the Plinko inflation?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
Perhaps they wanted to "test" it?  Drew made no mention of it which was a surprise.   Who knows.  Maybe for S46?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
My guess is that it was a mistake and it wasn't realized until too late. I do hope they eventually make the value changes permanent- the updates are sorely needed.

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »
IMHO, what is more sorely needed is an increase of the top prize in Grand Game to $20K.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
IMHO, what is more sorely needed is an increase of the top prize in Grand Game to $20K.
Agree on Grand Game.  $10,000 in 1980 is like $29,000 today.  Back in 1980, most of the cars on the show were under $10,000 so a chance to win $10,000 in this game was a really big deal.  Now the question is, what % of unsure contestants would keep the $2,000 and not try to win $20,000?

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:35:28 PM »
I think $10,000 is fine for Grand Game, given that it's perhaps the easiest of the cash games.   It is also better for the show to have one or two $10k cash games that can be set up to be easier on occasion.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
My guess is that it was a mistake and it wasn't realized until too late.

That concept is at odds with Scott's explanation of how the Plinko board actually functions.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:49:20 AM »
I've never understood the idea that Grand Game needs to be adjusted for inflation. Last time I checked, $10,000 is still a decent chunk of change, even if you can't buy a new car with it anymore. Furthermore, we have considerably more cash games than we did when Grand Game debuted, giving us a wide variety of top prizes ranging from $10,000 to $100,000. There is still very much a place for a $10,000 Grand Game, and if it means easier setups than was once the case and subsequently more winners, then I have no problem with it.

Plinko, on the other hand, is long overdue an overhaul of its money layout. Unlike Grand Game, easier setups won't translate into more contestants winning the top prize (or in Plinko's case, hitting the $10,000 slot more often).
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
My theory is having several $2,500 slot hits would eat into the prize budget. Imagine a contestant hitting the $10,000 slot once, a $2,500 slot twice, then a $500 slot (currently the $1,000 and $100 slots, respectively). That's a $15,500 payout versus a $12,100 payout with the current amounts. Awarding those extra thousands would add up and leave less money in budget for other games or prizes.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »
^ but they would've known that prior to instituting the "temporary" amounts. Why would they make placards and adjust the electronics, only to later realize it might cost a few extra thousand in winnings from time to time? I think the permanent change is coming and for reasons unknown they piloted it. Maybe next season?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
I agree with those saying a prize upgrade isn't necessary for Grand Game, and also 1/2 Off. $10,000 is still a very nice prize, and it's still higher in value than the average prize(s) for a non-car or cash game. It would look cheap for $10,000 to still be the prize if every other game always offered a prize higher than $10,000, but until we get to that point I don't think an upgrade is necessary. The point about the lower prize value making it possible to set the game up for easier wins more often is also a very good one.