Author Topic: Socially Awesome Week - Guess This Thursday's (04/06/17) Lineup! (Not FPG)  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
How far would they carry the theme of Throwback Thursday?

By picking an episode that originally aired on a Thursday?

Or even the one that aired in 1983 on the same date (4/6 - which was, unfortunately a Wednesday)?  Not sure what that one had for games - doesn't look to be listed in a recapped format, so it's hard to know if it's even possible.

Well, if they played April 6, 1983's show, it'd include the retired It's Optional (an unlikely one to bring back) and the since-renamed Barker's Bargain Bar.

You can view the daily schedules for season 11 (1982-83) on Scorpz's site, previously alluded to, here: http://tpirstats.com/Calendars/Season_11_games.html
And season 12 (1983-84) here: http://tpirstats.com/Calendars/Season_12_games.html

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
How far would they carry the theme of Throwback Thursday?

By picking an episode that originally aired on a Thursday?

Or even the one that aired in 1983 on the same date (4/6 - which was, unfortunately a Wednesday)?  Not sure what that one had for games - doesn't look to be listed in a recapped format, so it's hard to know if it's even possible.

Drew Mentioned during Cover-Up it would be the same 6 Pricing Games that were played on the 1983 Episode.
Another site mentioned they going to use Updated Versions of all the Prizes Awarded during that episode.
What we don't know , if they will be using Classic Cues or Graphics

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
Wouldn't the prizes offered on the episode also matter? Or would they break down and actually offer a prize like a grandfather clock if one was offered on the episode they chose?

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
A lineup like this would be doable from a timing point:

#4855D - - - - - - - 25/3/83
Lucky Seven
Clock Game
Pick a Pair
1 Right Price
Master Key
Range Game

Ooh, that is a strong candidate -- that lineup actually times out short by today's standards! (I guess that could be attributed to ferris wheel Pick-a-Pair taking longer than current Pick-a-Pair, along with the uncertainty of knowing how long it would take to play Master Key at its premiere?) Plus, they can make note of the radically different set for Pick-a-Pair along with the different sets for Lucky Seven and Clock Game... and then have a little fun with the fact that Master Key looks the same.

Wouldn't the prizes offered on the episode also matter? Or would they break down and actually offer a prize like a grandfather clock if one was offered on the episode they chose?

Updated grandfather clock = smartwatch.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
As far as guessing the lineup goes, this lineup still looks pretty realistic, but its exact slotting isn't known (so I'm just going off the probable slotting listed on the calendar):

#4823D - 03/02/83
Safe Crackers
Range Game
Five Price Tags
Take Two
Dice Game
Now....and Then
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
After browsing over every single 1983 lineup, several of us came up with only 20 or so potential lineups they could really use. We took some factors into consideration:

- Getting rid of lineups with games we have already seen this week becomes much easier given Temptation and Plinko appeared often
- As much of a treat it would be to see them bring back a retired pricing game, they will certainly not bring back The Phone Home Game (incompatible with today's format, and we would have heard of a Skype equivalent by now), Super Ball!! (too long), Poker Game (too cheap, although it'd be interesting to see this on a monitor), Trader Bob (too hard/long with seven SPs) or Hit Me (too confusing).

Thanks to QWIZX, we can also rule out some of the episodes because - let's face it - the show isn't giving away four sets of season tickets anymore. (Someone won them in Take Two back in 1983, by the way!)

Most likely candidate seems to be the lineup from January 21st, 1983. All of its prizes can easily be updated/translated into 2017 equivalents.

Information paraphrased from QWIZX. Ideas for modern equivalents in parentheses.

IUFB1: Samsonite Body Glove Outdoor Furniture (outdoor seating group)
PG1: LUCKY SEVEN for a Ford Mustang

IUFB2: Sierra Hot Stove (double-oven range)
PG2: PUNCH-A-BUNCH (they can mention the change in top dollar values)
SPs: leaf blower, silver-plated carafe, speed setter (?), rotisserie

IUFB3: White-Westinghouse Washer & Dryer
PG3: 1 RIGHT PRICE for a bar set and a 52" projection TV (kitchen island and Sunbrite Outdoor TV, mostly to keep the game from being too easy)

IUFB4: Assortment of Lamps
PG4: CLOCK GAME for a sailboat and a Honda motorcycle (make these the bonus prize and make the two three-digit prizes ... whatever)

IUFB5: In-Sink-Erator Dishwasher with Supply of Jet Dry (modern brand dishwasher)
PG5: CARD GAME for a Mazda GLC Hatchback (goldroadfanatic says the Mazda 3 Sport - which we have seen several times this season - is essentially the same car)

IUFB6: "Man with Pole" lithograph (okay, this one's a stretch, but maybe have the computer here with a 3-D printer? "Make your own lithographs!")
PG6: PICK-A-PAIR for a bedroom group and sleep set
GPs: honey, mouthwash, mixed bean salad, Nature Valley granola, fancy Chinese vegetables, blackberry jam

SHOWCASE 1: living room, vacuum cleaner (iRobot Roomba), camping trailer (Little Guy)
SHOWCASE 2: perfume, ladies' watch, jukebox, Mediterranean cruise

...it could happen.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:45:40 PM by Torgo »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
Would it really be such a bad thing if, say, they used this to play Hurdles?

Depends on the game. Not a terrible thing at all for a one-off playing of Hurdles. Part of Hurdles' appeal to me, though, was how massive the prop was. You'd need a BIG screen to make it look decent, and unless they run out to Door #4, I don't know that they have a screen big enough.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Thanks to QWIZX, we can also rule out some of the episodes because - let's face it - the show isn't giving away four sets of season tickets anymore. (Someone won them in Take Two back in 1983, by the way!)
I can totally see the show offering tickets to the NBA Finals, Super Bowl, World Series, and MLS Cup as replacements.

Is 1/21/83 the official guess?
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline david1964

• In the Audience
What would be complete for me would be  if Janice, Dian, and Holly could come back for the day.  Now that would be the ultimate Throwback Thursday episode.  But unfortunately that will never happen.  If things were different, maybe.   But it would still be awesome. 

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Good morning all.  Here is a strong possibility for today...  (from 9/13/1983)
--I don't think that any of these games has been played this week.

#4992D - - - - - - - 13

Lucky Seven
Punch a Bunch
Race Game
1 Right Price
Dice Game
Now....and Then

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Well, they decided on 04/27/83.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
Well, they decided on 04/27/83.

I Give them Credit for picking a Good Lineup.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Someone put the episode up on YouTube, and it's now in the Video Collection.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
If they do this Again Next Year, They should have a U-Decide as to Which Year ( For Example 1978 , 1988 or 1998 ) to Make a Episode from.