Author Topic: Question about posting TPIR video clips on youtube  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Brian500

• 3/22/07
  • TPiR Alumnus
Question about posting TPIR video clips on youtube
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
Hi guys and gals,

Does anyone know the laws regarding posting video clips from TPIR on youtube?  I see a BUNCH (maybe thousands) of clips are already posted on youtube but does that mean they are "legal" or are those people just "getting away with it"?  I'd like to maybe post a short video of me from when I was on the show but I want to do it legally without causing myself any trouble with youtube.

MODS: If this question is posted in the wrong section, please move to the correct forum.

Thanks! :-)
I played Now Or Then and won my game which made for Bob's LAST perfect show.

Offline SamJ93

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Question about posting TPIR video clips on youtube
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »
It was in the Buzzr thread from awhile back (too lazy to link to it on mobile). Basically Fremantle takes a much less draconian approach to YouTube clips than Sony. They have YT identify their copyrighted content and put ads before it to take care of their royalties. So I wouldn't worry too much about uploading a clip unless it is from a very recent (in the last year or so) episode...since that's the only thing they do seem to care about.

Offline tpiradam

• Double Showcase Winner
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »
I always add a 'disclaimer' in the video description just as a precaution stating I don't own the material and the reason for uploading it. I've never had a problem and I've been on YouTube for about 10yrs.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Going Back in Time: The G-R Mantra
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
I always add a 'disclaimer' in the video description just as a precaution stating I don't own the material and the reason for uploading it. I've never had a problem and I've been on YouTube for about 10yrs.

Disclaimers mean absolutely nothing.

According to the law, you simply shouldn't upload the material. Regarding if they care is another matter entirely.
CSS Champion - Season IX (Part II)
G-R Recapper - Season 44 (Part I)

And if you win that trip, you travel to the end of the Golden Road, where we have the most expensive prize ever offered on Golden Road.net!!!! IT IS MORE THAN $481,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wild cheering and applause) LOOK WHAT WE HAVE AT THE END OF THE GOLDEN ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF TAHITI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your whole family will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Tahiti where you'll sign a deed to a 2-mile across, 2-mile wide island 25 miles off the coast of Tahiti. This island includes a beachouse and more! And if you win this island, you'll recieve A NEW CADILLAC XLR CONVERTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure every single account I've ever seen suspended from YouTube because of third-party copyright complaints included disclaimers on videos they posted of someone else's copyrighted works.

When you upload a video to YouTube, you have to verify that you own the copyright and have clearance to post it. If you claim that you do and you don't, the best you can hope for is to "get away with it." Many do, but that doesn't mean they're in the right.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:02:09 PM by CBSpromoman »
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline PayingTheRent

• Glory days.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »
Fremantle, as others have said, has the ultimate authority in whether or not to allow episodes, or even clips from episodes, on YouTube (unless a work can be considered 'fair use' under the Copyright Act of 1976, which itself is a topic we could spend forever discussing).

It can be assumed, based specifically on their approach in handling episodes of The Price is Right and those from other shows to which they claim ownership, that Fremantle is quite permissive in allowing virtually anyone to upload clips or full episodes of their programs to YouTube without prior consent. The two primary (as it seems) exceptions to this 'rule' are: 1) Fremantle gets to claim whatever Google Adsense money the videos generate and 2) the episodes must not be 'too' recent -- although how they define 'recent' is not known.

To further that second point, I've personally never uploaded an episode that aired within, say, a month or two of its original airdate, but I have uploaded an episode within six months of it airing (Bob's 2015 April Fools appearance, full HD quality from a capture card) and did so without incident. 

Never have I received a copyright strike from Fremantle or any other entity, although it's worth noting that I seldom upload.

With all of that being said, I, nor should anyone else, advocate pirating episodes of any show, movie, song or other copyrighted work to YouTube or any other platform. Fremantle might be the exception, but one should never assume that uploading content they do not own and/or have permission from the owner to use won't get you in trouble (unless it's 'fair use', but for the purposes of this discussion, we're assuming it isn't). By doing so, you are at risk of getting sued, and nobody wants that! :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:11:56 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »
When I first got started here nine years ago, I used to enjoy watching Carlos' clips of the show throughout the 90s, until the powers that be at YouTube or Fremantle (I forget which) deleted his account. It seems to me that this has become less of an issue now, because we're seeing more new (old?) episodes being uploaded every day and available to post in the Video Collection. It also gives me a chance to watch the episodes and recap them as I go along; not that I'd want Torgo's job, because I really don't.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 1996 neat showcase backdrops
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:55:39 PM »
I deleted my YouTube account on my own for three reasons: 1. I did indeed get a few copyright notices from YouTube. 2. A few individuals were incredibly ungrateful, which was really annoying since I spent hours each week just researching, collecting, and uploading the small clips. I uploaded clips/moments at first--most people were grateful and appreciative, but those other people wanted whole segments, so I did that. Then they wanted full episodes. Shortly after, they wanted the full episodes that I didn't upload or the episode I did upload contained too many losses, not enough car wins, etc. You see where that's going. 3. Some nutcase on YouTube sent increasingly threatening messages telling me what he'd do if I didn't stop "trying to humiliate contestants by posting too many videos of them losing." That was the last straw for me. There are some crazy people out in the world, and I just wasn't going to take the chance that he was one of them.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 03:22:16 AM »
Why do I get the feeling I know what nutcase you're talking about? I bet he usually uses the initials "S.S."
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 04:42:20 AM »
Why do I get the feeling I know what nutcase you're talking about? I bet he usually uses the initials "S.S."
And if we're talking about the same guy, is known for being an anti-Semite.

Offline PayingTheRent

• Glory days.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 05:24:17 AM »
The YouTube comments section is a cesspool of ignorance. My favorites are those who complain about commercials not being removed in some of my earlier uploads -- as if the fast forward function of YT is a completely foreign concept to them.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • That's right, I'm talking to you.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Yet you remove them and somebody else whines.

Can't please everyone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
I deleted my YouTube account on my own for three reasons: 1. I did indeed get a few copyright notices from YouTube. 2. A few individuals were incredibly ungrateful, which was really annoying since I spent hours each week just researching, collecting, and uploading the small clips. I uploaded clips/moments at first--most people were grateful and appreciative, but those other people wanted whole segments, so I did that. Then they wanted full episodes. Shortly after, they wanted the full episodes that I didn't upload or the episode I did upload contained too many losses, not enough car wins, etc. You see where that's going. 3. Some nutcase on YouTube sent increasingly threatening messages telling me what he'd do if I didn't stop "trying to humiliate contestants by posting too many videos of them losing." That was the last straw for me. There are some crazy people out in the world, and I just wasn't going to take the chance that he was one of them.
Well then, my apologies.

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »
Can't comments be "locked?"  Problem solved?

Offline Brian500

• 3/22/07
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

The clip I wanted to post is from the 2007 season so I wasn't worried about it being too new.  I was mostly concerned with copyright and adsense advertising on my channel.   If Fremantle is just gonna take any income that my video may generate from Google Adsense, then I probably wont post it at all....  Maybe it's the wrong attitude to have, but I don't need any potential trouble if there is no return for me.

The "fair use" law seems very confusing and gray....  The video in question is a clip of ME appearing on TPIR, not the entire episode. Would that be considered "fair use"?

Again,
Thanks for the replies
I played Now Or Then and won my game which made for Bob's LAST perfect show.