Author Topic: Do a "Bend The Rules" week?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline 23000bigones

• Outside in Line
Do a "Bend The Rules" week?
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:17:06 AM »
Since we'd rather hear the bell instead of the trombones, do a "Bend The Rules" week where 30 of the games would be titled towards the contestants' favor. Here's some of my suggestions:

1) Pass The Buck- Only have 1 "Lose Everything" space.
2) Secret X & 5 Price Tags- Give the contestant the chance to cover all possible choices like Shell/Bonus Game.
3) Spelling Bee- Make it 9 C's, A's and R's plus 3 CAR symbols.
4) It's In The Bag- Eliminate the 6th item that doesn't belong there.
5) Lucky Seven- Make it Lucky Eight
6) Grocery Game-Expand the winning range to $20-$23.
7) Rat Race-Reduce it to 4 rats.
8 ) Cliff Hangers-Expand the mountain to $30 so it's possible to miss each item by $10 each and still win.
9) Let Em Roll- Reduce it to 4 dice.
10) Range Game-Expand the range finder to $250.

Post any other suggestions if you can.

Haters, it would be for ONE TIME ONLY and over 40 games wouldn't be affected anyway!

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Do a "Bend The Rules" week?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:34:00 AM »
PLEASE don't give them any ideas...

It's not that I'm completely close minded to this. It's just that the current powers that be have shown that once we start down this path, frequently we end up with some very bad ideas mixed in there. So it's not worth the few good ones that may show up. And of course your rules all make the games easier. Would they do that? I once wrote an April Fools show where I changed the rules of all the games to make them harder :) But yeah, no. That show, for fun record and posterity:

2 For The Price Of 1 - no number free (duh)
Card Game - range cards are changed to $500 x3, $1000 x3, $2000 x1
Pick A Pair - there is only one correct pair among the 6 products. All 4 other GPs have different prices.
Flip Flop Side By Side - exactly what it says. This trip is not 6734. You can either flip it to make it 7634, flop it to make it 6743, flip flop it to make it 7643, switch the sides to make it 3467, switch the sides and then flip it to make it 4367, switch the sides and then flop it to make it 3476, etc.
Make Your Move - played with two 3-digit prizes and an overlapping solution.
Pathfinder  - Diagonals count :)

Offline mechamind

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Mechamind Boards
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
Meh, one of those threads, but I'll give it a try:

Plinko - Dollar values in ascending order starting from the outside, and diagonal barriers will block off the $0 slots.
Make Your Move - Two chances, but no hints to which ones are correct.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »
How about these ideas?

Check-Out: $4 winning range
Bullseye: $15-$18 winning target
Punch-a-Bunch: Add the value of the four (or whatever number the contestant has earned) punches together, with no option to quit; $1000 bonus for getting all four SP's correct, like 1/2 Off
Money Game: $1000 bonus for finding only the front and back of car

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Going Back in Time: The G-R Mantra
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »
Haters, it would be for ONE TIME ONLY and over 40 games wouldn't be affected anyway!

Dismissing any potential criticism of your idea as coming from a "hater" will ensure a short stay.

This entire post can be boiled down to "I want more wins".
CSS Champion - Season IX (Part II)
G-R Recapper - Season 44 (Part I)

And if you win that trip, you travel to the end of the Golden Road, where we have the most expensive prize ever offered on Golden Road.net!!!! IT IS MORE THAN $481,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wild cheering and applause) LOOK WHAT WE HAVE AT THE END OF THE GOLDEN ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF TAHITI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your whole family will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Tahiti where you'll sign a deed to a 2-mile across, 2-mile wide island 25 miles off the coast of Tahiti. This island includes a beachouse and more! And if you win this island, you'll recieve A NEW CADILLAC XLR CONVERTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • That's right, I'm talking to you.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 11:30:55 AM »
You can make games easier all you want. Doesn't mean people won't still find ways to lose them.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:06:09 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline mechamind

• Mechamind Boards
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »
^ Yeah, that's true. :oldlol:

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • You're going to play Plinko!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »
Three Strikes - have four "ball" chips in the bag. When the contestant gets one, it is set aside. If they get four before three strikes, they get a free digit in the price - chosen at random.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline mechamind

• Mechamind Boards
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »
^ That would be complicated, because four balls means you have to reset the strike count to zero.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
The four ball idea would likely make the game time out very long also, but it is a pretty interesting idea.

I'm not big on one-time advantages just for a certain show or week that no one else will get, but I do actually like this idea if it's not taken too far and it means that pretty much every game will be won easily. These are a few other possibilities I thought of:

Lucky $even- not making the contestant buy the car for a dollar. The contestant still wins if they are off by 7 total digits.
That's Too Much- the contestant wins if they choose the 2nd price that is more than the actual price rather than winning only if the first price too high is chosen (so if the car if $20,500, picking both $21,090 and $22,370 would win since they are the first two to be more)
Pathfinder- the contestant gets one free miss without having to correctly price an SP to continue.
Hole in One or Two and Pay the Rent- The first grocery product (in the mailbox for PtR) is placed with price revealed for free.
Stack the Deck- The contestant gets one number placed free before having to win three more.
Time is Money, Bonkers, and Race Game- The contestant does not have to hit the buzzer/pull the lever after each guess.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• In Contestant's Row
  • Remembering when the Zero Rule didn't exist
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »
Here are (quite a) few I think of right away.

Hot Seat: No bailout, they just churn through all 5 small prizes and award cash (Yeah, no. Only benefit is time).
Time is Money: Increase timer to 15 seconds or slow the cash decrease rate to $750/sec
Grand Game: Only 5 GP's.
Pay the Rent: Increase 2nd floor to $20K (although I like JayC's modification better)
Hole in 1 (or 2): Only 5 items, get rid of the farthest line, bonus is now $1000 for all correct GP's.
Pathfinder: 4 GP's instead of 3.
Now or Then: All six things are now. Watch as someone screws up and picks 3 thens.
Balance Game: You get to pick up the weights (Including the big one), and the weights actually balance (If they don't already).
Check Game: 8k to 10k range. (Come on TPIR, do it.)
Pocket Change: Price of the car starts at 0 and you get $0.50 to start.
Switcheroo: It plays like Race Game- 30 seconds with a button. You can stop at anytime if you feel confident.

Double Prices: One price tag always ends in XX00 or XXX00. (Lol)
My favorite game is Clock Game and my least favorite is Switcheroo, because reasons.

Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.

Offline pricegator

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »
They could play "triple play" and keep whatever cars they have won along the way

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 11:48:44 PM »
I disagree to a bend the rules week for the reason of adding salt to the wounds of people who lost previously and would've won if say the range in Check Game was $7,000-10,000 versus the long-standing $5,000-$6,000 it was during the 90s and 00s...Despite this, I agree to a gradual change in pricing game rules over the years.  (Could you imagine playing Dice Game today as it was during its early existence when zeroes and 7-9s were common in the car price?) I'm not against rule changes to increase odds of winning, but am against making games obviously easy.   

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56:48 PM »
For Money Game, automatically eliminate the "45" since the season number is seldom the last two digits in the price of the car.

Grocery Game, keep the $20 - $22 limit but have a secret coupon for one of the products to take money off in case a player goes over $22.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
The coupon idea would be interesting. It would work in Check Out also, where the player could use the coupon to take money off the actual price of one of the products if they lowballed it.