Author Topic: What we call the news!  (Read 3015 times)

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
What we call the news!
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »
I found this on youtube.  It speaks volumes on the poor quality of today's journalism.  And it's freakin' hillarious too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kei3RI_aYXg

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What we call the news!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »
Whatever it was, it's gone now. The YouTube gestapo wiped that one out, too.

Is there even going to be anything left on YouTube in six months? :-?
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:52:12 AM »
It was produced by JibJab.  Just go to the source.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »
Thanks...

What can I say, but JibJab rocks! What an accurate take on our mainstream media and the so-called news they attempt to beam into our brains every day...

And people wonder why I get my news online?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:45:57 AM »

Madonna wrote:
What an accurate take on our mainstream media and the so-called news they attempt to beam into our brains every day...

And people wonder why I get my news online?

Uh, have you seen where 95% of the online stories come from?  (CNN, NBC, ABC, Fox, Reuters, BBC, AP, NYT, etc.)

And for that matter, have you noticed what the most popular stories are online?  A heckuva lot more dreck than you'll see on the evening news.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »

Axl wrote:
Uh, have you seen where 95% of the online stories come from?  (CNN, NBC, ABC, Fox, Reuters, BBC, AP, NYT, etc.)

Yeah, which is exactly why I get the majority of my news online from other sources.

Seriously. I've been avoiding the corporate mainstream press for years now. News is something we indeed can use. Propaganda and mind candy is not.

And for that matter, have you noticed what the most popular stories are online?  A heckuva lot more dreck than you'll see on the evening news.

Yeah. It's like ET/Insider/Access Hollywood/The Anna Nicole Show/Britney & Kevin Chaotic 24/7. Which is exactly why I don't bother with the mainstream press - on my television or my computer.

I can't tell the difference between CNN and Entertainment Tonight anymore. I can't tell the difference between Pravda and Fox anymore. Been like that for years, too.

If I wanted garbage, I have a dumpster behind my building. Definitely don't need it from Murdoch/Turner/The Mouse/General Electric/et al.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 01:38:17 PM »

Madonna wrote:

Yeah, which is exactly why I get the majority of my news online from other sources.

Okay, you've aroused my curiosity.  What online sources do you check for news that are completely cleansed of corporate media?

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:45:09 AM »
I usually check out sites like whatreallyhappened.com, who tend to link to media sources that haven't been bought and controlled by big business.

Mind you, these sites do occasionally link to stories on major sites like cnn.com, but not very often.

I've found it's a pretty effective way to get ahold of news without being bombarded with blatant propaganda, or subjected to All Anna Nicole, All The Time.

It's been very hard to not be cynical as all hell when it's come to Anna Nicole. On one hand, I don't wish death on anyone, and it's sad she now has a daughter who is going to grow up without a mother...

On the other hand? Honestly, I do shake my head and wonder how THIS is the "biggest story in the world" and has been for a few months. :-?

As far as the mainstream media being completely and utterly out of touch with the masses...

I usually do a brief skimming once a day of cnn.com - check the articles of the garbage being fed to the people, take a look at the polls and warped results, etc. We're talking I'm there maybe 2-3 minutes a day, more as "note-taking" than actually reading their attempts at journalism.

Imagine my amusement when I went there recently to see a poll asking us if we read articles about Paris Hilton, and seeing 91% of the people voted NO, they do not!

And, yet, we spend more time being subjected to Paris and Nicole's Bogus Journey than we do getting stories on people who are actually relevant to the world - you know, like most foreign leaders.

I'd have to say that poll did a far better job showing the disconnection between the mainstream media and the people than I ever could!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 01:18:12 PM »
You check out cnn.com every day and you don't consider yourself a consumer of "corporate media" news?  I don't think you're being entirely honest with yourself here.

I looked at the website you referenced, and noticed that eight of the top ten stories listed were from the so-called mainstream media.  The other two "articles" were opinion pieces, including one that encourages people to flood ABC with mail so they won't fire Rosie O'Donnell from The View.

I'm not saying "the news media" couldn't be improved (especially on cable), but I think broad-stroke criticism that everything on the news is garbage really misses the point.  Independent analyst Andrew Tyndall actually studies all of the network evening newscasts and reports on their content... he found that in 2006, the number one story by far (based on the number of times it appeared on the news) was the US fighting in Iraq.  Three other angles on what's happening in Iraq were also in the top twenty.  In fact, the only "soft news" story in the top twenty was the Winter Olympics in Italy.  The full list is here.

Online news sites are getting better, but the the "work" most of them do right now is akin to me buying a jar of Skippy peanut butter, putting a new "Axl's Peanut Butter" label on top of it, and reselling it.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 02:01:42 AM »

Axl wrote:
You check out cnn.com every day and you don't consider yourself a consumer of "corporate media" news?  I don't think you're being entirely honest with yourself here.

Nope. I check out the headlines, roll my eyes at what they try to pass off as "news", and usually laugh my butt off at the polls and the results. That's it. Literally 2-3 minutes a day.

That's hardly what I'd call consuming corporate media.

I looked at the website you referenced, and noticed that eight of the top ten stories listed were from the so-called mainstream media.  The other two "articles" were opinion pieces, including one that encourages people to flood ABC with mail so they won't fire Rosie O'Donnell from The View.

I haven't checked it out much lately, thanks to my neverending crusade to play catch-up with everything I fell behind on over the last month. Don't know if that was an off-day, or Michael is becoming more and more swamped and just grabbing articles from mainstream sites. In the past, there were far more articles from more independent sites. :-?

I'm not saying "the news media" couldn't be improved (especially on cable), but I think broad-stroke criticism that everything on the news is garbage really misses the point.  Independent analyst Andrew Tyndall actually studies all of the network evening newscasts and reports on their content... he found that in 2006, the number one story by far (based on the number of times it appeared on the news) was the US fighting in Iraq.

Which, until recently, was so far slanted that it felt like it came from Pravda, in all honesty. Even to this day, I don't know if I'd call it accurate and unbiased.

You're right, though. The media could be improved, in two simple steps:

1. Quit giving us celebrity paparazzi crap and passing it off as relevant news. Who cares who Paris Hilton flashed now? Who cares about Britney's shaved head? And at the risk of sounding cold, I flat-out could care less who the father of Anna Nicole's baby is.

2. Get the corporations out. There's a reason why NBC News always seems to be "Rah rah! We love war!" everytime a conflict stirs up - because General Electric owns them, and stands to profit big-time everytime there is a war. Why? Because GE brings good things to death, in the form of weapons of mass destruction.

The money is tainting the news. Has been for some time, too.

Three other angles on what's happening in Iraq were also in the top twenty.  In fact, the only "soft news" story in the top twenty was the Winter Olympics in Italy.  The full list is here.

I for one find that interesting when it seems like everytime I hit a mainstream news site, it's Paris this, Britney that, Lindsay this, Dixie Chicks that, who's Anna Nicole's baby's father this, Madonna singing from a cross that.

In other words, if we were to cludge "general celebrity gossip" into one category instead of seperating it by celebrity, would that then wind up making the top 20 (or even 10)? I tend to think it would, yes.